Prospect Info: Barrett Hayton - What's the deal?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Maccelli is a left shooting LW.
Crouse is currently the LW playing on the right side.

We have a bit of room to build on either the left or the right wing. Our LW talent is more slanted to guys on the roster (Keller, Maccelli, Crouse), while our RW talent is more slanted to our prospect pool (Guenther, Doan, Matikka, Fedotov).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe someone could move over if we draft Bedard
The level of prospect depth we are accumulating is exciting. Of course we may have to come to terms with a player like Maccelli becoming available in trade earlier than many of us want; especially while we deal with limited financial resources and the potential that Maccelli may ask for a big ticket similar to Schmaltz. Nothing to worry about just yet but we will be rotating assets out if players develop.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The level of prospect depth we are accumulating is exciting. Of course we may have to come to terms with a player like Maccelli becoming available in trade earlier than many of us want; especially while we deal with limited financial resources and the potential that Maccelli may ask for a big ticket similar to Schmaltz. Nothing to worry about just yet but we will be rotating assets out if players develop.
I'm not disagreeing, but I hope that doesn't become necessary. Sure would make it feel like two steps forward, one step back.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing, but I hope that doesn't become necessary. Sure would make it feel like two steps forward, one step back.
I'm worried that any budget increase that we receive in the next couple of years will get sucked up by BA and Tourigny. Just like it did with Tippett and Maloney when we came out of bankruptcy.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm worried that any budget increase that we receive in the next couple of years will get sucked up by BA and Tourigny. Just like it did with Tippett and Maloney when we came out of bankruptcy.
It would suck but we should pay it happily.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I would hope BA would need to see Hayton perform for at least one full season what he's done the last 1.5 months before he even remotely considers Hayton anything more than a 3C. The trend is nice but the sample size is waaaay too small. I've brought it up several times but remember Lundell from Florida last year? So many were acting like he had arrived but turns out he had that one crazy stretch, similar to Hayton, and hasn't really done shit since. In fact he STILL hasn't even outscored Chychrun this season. :biglaugh:

Reactions: moosemeister

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I would hope BA would need to see Hayton perform for at least one full season what he's done the last 1.5 months before he even remotely considers Hayton anything more than a 3C. The trend is nice but the sample size is waaaay too small. I've brought it up several times but remember Lundell from Florida last year? So many were acting like he had arrived but turns out he had that one crazy stretch, similar to Hayton, and hasn't really done shit since. In fact he STILL hasn't even outscored Chychrun this season. :biglaugh:
I would trade Ottawa's pick for Lundell in a heartbeat. A sophomore slump for a guy that young isn't surprising or concerning imo.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would trade Ottawa's pick for Lundell in a heartbeat. A sophomore slump for a guy that young isn't surprising or concerning imo.
Me too. He’s excellent defensively and has shown he can produce offensively even if he’s cooled. He’s shown as much as Hayton or more than Hayton but much earlier.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If TED passes I don't see that scenario happening. There will be trades of course, but I don't think any young core piece will be traded because of financial reasons. The only one that I see moving would be a Schmaltz because his contract will be high starting next year when money is still a concern. Maccelli is a keeper, and will get a raise, probably a bridge deal. Eventually, you have to play your best players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would hope they have an FO budget and a player budget. Even if they don't, BA or AT raise would be peanuts in the grand scheme of things compared to players. These are also different circumstances with AM. Now, if TED fails, who the hell knows what happens then.

How do you know it's only a sophomore slump?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would hope they have an FO budget and a player budget. Even if they don't, BA or AT raise would be peanuts in the grand scheme of things compared to players. These are also different circumstances with AM. Now, if TED fails, who the hell knows what happens then.
I don't think you are correct there Jakey. If Bill and Bear want to fight for compensation comparable to their peers you could be looking at a budget increase of roughly $4 or even $5 million a year.

Reactions: hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Me too. He’s excellent defensively and has shown he can produce offensively even if he’s cooled. He’s shown as much as Hayton or more than Hayton but much earlier.
Both teams sure would be taking a gamble. What would you do if one of your fav's in this draft, Benson, slide to the Ottawa pick? Interesting proposal though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think you are correct there Jakey. If Bill and Bear want to fight for compensation comparable to their peers you could be looking at a budget increase of roughly $4 or even $5 million a year.
I have no idea what they are getting paid now, but I don't think their first raise would be comparable to their peers, not yet anyways. But even if you are right and they want $5 million between them, that is still peanuts in the whole scheme of things. Trade Schmaltz for picks. Problem solved if money is any issue.;)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have no idea what they are getting paid now, but I don't think their first raise would be comparable to their peers, not yet anyways. But even if you are right and they want $5 million between them, that is still peanuts in the whole scheme of things. Trade Schmaltz for picks. Problem solved if money is any issue.;)
$5 million is probable 10% of Player budget. I don't think that's peanuts

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why exactly do either of them deserve a raise? BA hasn't proven anything yet, we are going into year 4 of the rebuild next year, we aren't ahead of schedule. Too early to judge AT either way. We are seeing young players getting better but young players should get better. They have contracts, once they are up, we can evaluate their performance. Other teams aren't standing inline to hire either at this point.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why exactly do either of them deserve a raise? BA hasn't proven anything yet, we are going into year 4 of the rebuild next year, we aren't ahead of schedule. Too early to judge AT either way. We are seeing young players getting better but young players should get better. They have contracts, once they are up, we can evaluate their performance. Other teams aren't standing inline to hire either at this point.
I agree. When are their contracts up?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Half the League is trying to get better with youth, if they think Bear has done a good job of making young players better in AZ they will want that for their team. And when demand for anything increases the cost goes up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Lunfdell for a first is interesting. Would prefer a top first pairing D in a trade for our Ottawa pick. With Hayton, Cooley, McBain and Geekie we are pretty solid, if not very spectacular, at center.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

I agree. When are their contracts up?

Both were hired as NHL rookies (at their positions) and are being paid as such. It's only logical that they will earn a raise with their next contracts since they now have some time in title. You can't deny that they've both done some great things with this team.

What, in your opinion, should they have to do to deserve a raise? What do you consider proven? Stanley Cup?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I mean, if you can't see the evidence with your own eyes, it'll be hard to provide it to you second-hand.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I mean, if you can't see the evidence with your own eyes, it'll be hard to provide it to you second-hand.
Evidence of what? Last full season under RT we had 86 points. I am not sure if 70-75 points this year is a sign of success. Improvement yes, but is anyone going to be standing in line to hire BA or AT at this point? I doubt it. next year, if we are 95 points, and the year after 100+, then I could see interest from other teams in BA and AT. You have to at least coach a team that makes the playoffs a few years in a row and as a GM lead the rebuild into the playoffs for those same few years. Until that happens, we won't need to worry about a bidding war for BA/AT at contract time.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3