Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seems safe to say that Roy's ceiling isn't as high as many thought it was.

In any case, I just don't see how he could crack the Sharks's lineup with their depth on defense.
Not going to write him off yet. The knee injuries had definitely slowed down his development and its easy to forget, but he is only 21. With our current depth on D, he can take another 2-3 years of development and that would be best for both the team and him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Not going to write him off yet. The knee injuries had definitely slowed down his development and its easy to forget, but he is only 21. With our current depth on D, he can take another 2-3 years of development and that would be best for both the team and him.

The more I research prospect development in the post-lockout NHL, the more I find that if a prospect (especially one from NA) doesn't tear up the AHL right away at 20-21 years old, he is very unlikely to become an impact NHLer.

My theory is that longer developmental times used to be expected as the AHL ironed out the bad habits of the young players. It still does for many European players. But, the North American developmental systems have evolved to squash those bad habits before they formed. Players are taught systems play and defensive responsibility with their mother's milk. Nutritional science and video analysis are introduced earlier and earlier.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Going to the game later today. It will by 6-7th Cuda game and I have only ever seen the Heat or Condors. Either the AHL schedule is wack or I have terrible luck.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Going to the game later today. It will by 6-7th Cuda game and I have only ever seen the Heat or Condors. Either the AHL schedule is wack or I have terrible luck.

A little of both, I think. The AHL schedule is very heavy on division games. For San Jose this season, it's 8 each v. Colorado, Ontario, and Tucson, 10 each v. San Diego and Bakersfield, and 12 vs Stockton. So you've got a 1/3 shot that you'll see Bakersfield or Stockton when you're buying random games. :)

We have just 12 games outside of the Pacific - this year those are Texas, San Antonio, Iowa, and Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
The more I research prospect development in the post-lockout NHL, the more I find that if a prospect (especially one from NA) doesn't tear up the AHL right away at 20-21 years old, he is very unlikely to become an impact NHLer.

My theory is that longer developmental times used to be expected as the AHL ironed out the bad habits of the young players. It still does for many European players. But, the North American developmental systems have evolved to squash those bad habits before they formed. Players are taught systems play and defensive responsibility with their mother's milk. Nutritional science and video analysis are introduced earlier and earlier.

I haven't actually researched prospect development, but my gut says that a defenseman has a little more room to develop into an NHL player than a forward. I haven't done any of the legwork to know if that's still accurate on the whole, but looking at our D corps, Heed, Ryan, and Simek are all mid 20's (though Ryan is the only one of the 3 who spent his time prior to the AHL in NA).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
A little of both, I think. The AHL schedule is very heavy on division games. For San Jose this season, it's 8 each v. Colorado, Ontario, and Tucson, 10 each v. San Diego and Bakersfield, and 12 vs Stockton. So you've got a 1/3 shot that you'll see Bakersfield or Stockton when you're buying random games. :)

We have just 12 games outside of the Pacific - this year those are Texas, San Antonio, Iowa, and Grand Rapids.

Wait, 12 games against the same team in the same season? Damn.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Had a good game yesterday.

Let's just say his current 5 points in 13 GP feels like a pretty accurate assessment of his play, though. He's been alright, not great.

I would agree. He does not stand out from the other forwards--this team, to me, feels like a bunch of bottom liners with some pop throughout the line-up. Gambrell is probably a little better than Suomela, and, I would say that Gambrell is the Cuda's best player. By no means does Gambrell look like a future top-6 forward. I would say a third-line winger with above average speed and some play making ability is his future. Suomela has some sweet mits in tight as he beat the d and roofed the puck over the goalie just inside the crease. Both are good depth options come playoff time; both are far from difference makers.

On defense. everyone plays a structured game. I think DeSimone is a mobile, two-way d-man with 4-6 potential. Roy makes some nice outlet passes and is not overwhelmed in the d-zone. Again, maybe more of a 5-6 guy. Jake Middleton has a great stick in the d-zone and skates well for his size. The strong play of the defensemen, I would argue, makes the goalies look really strong. In the games I've been to, the Cuda do not give up much in their own end.

I'm a season ticket holder and will try to give my two cents here and there.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I would agree. He does not stand out from the other forwards--this team, to me, feels like a bunch of bottom liners with some pop throughout the line-up. Gambrell is probably a little better than Suomela, and, I would say that Gambrell is the Cuda's best player. By no means does Gambrell look like a future top-6 forward. I would say a third-line winger with above average speed and some play making ability is his future. Suomela has some sweet mits in tight as he beat the d and roofed the puck over the goalie just inside the crease. Both are good depth options come playoff time; both are far from difference makers.

On defense. everyone plays a structured game. I think DeSimone is a mobile, two-way d-man with 4-6 potential. Roy makes some nice outlet passes and is not overwhelmed in the d-zone. Again, maybe more of a 5-6 guy. Jake Middleton has a great stick in the d-zone and skates well for his size. The strong play of the defensemen, I would argue, makes the goalies look really strong. In the games I've been to, the Cuda do not give up much in their own end.

I'm a season ticket holder and will try to give my two cents here and there.

Yeah, I'd co-sign on all this (another season ticket holder here). The only other forwards I'd mention are True, who looks like he could be a decent 4C, and Perron, who reminds me of another guy who was tearing it up with the Barracuda a couple years ago, that being Barclay Goodrow. I'm still a fan of some of Letunov's tools- he is really good at holding onto the puck and getting into the zone- but it seems like he's really fallen off lately.

Reactions: NiWa

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
And another season ticket holder with my .02 :)

DiSimone may have 4-6 potential, but he's got a long way to go to meet it, imo. He was flat out awful defensively on Sunday. Eggregious misplays led to at least 1 breakaway and 1 or more odd man rushes. He tends to make no-look passes to nobody. A lot. He drives me bonkers, because he has skills but he makes really poor decisions far too often. More often than not, if he decided what he wanted to do, and then did the exact opposite, he'd be a much better player.

I like Letunov too, and I'm wondering if he's nursing an injury of some sort. He didn't play last Friday against Ontario, and he hasn't looked like he did earlier in the year...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Does it seem safe to say that not a single player currently on the Barracuda is likely to be a top-6 winger or a top-4 defenseman?

Looking at the numbers, Middleton, Perron, Wood, and True might have a chance.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Does it seem safe to say that not a single player currently on the Barracuda is likely to be a top-6 winger or a top-4 defenseman?

Looking at the numbers, Middleton, Perron, Wood, and True might have a chance.

In my non-expert opinion, I would say yes.

Middleton skates well for his size, uses the body, has a nice stick in the d-zone, and moves the puck well-enough. He's a 5 at best.

Wood and Middleton are similar players, Wood's shot is better. I think skating issues are overblown.

Roy has a better outlet pass and battles in the d-zone. He just lacks the size of Middleton. Not much wow to his game just solid overall; I see him as a 4 at best.

DeSimone is the best overall d-man and I think he'll top out as a 4 too. Skates well and does not have any glaring holes. I like his shot too.

Perron I don't have a good read on. He blends in with the rest of the forward group to me.

True goes to the net and skates well, again for his size. I think he's a fourth line guy with skill and size.

Gambrell is the most skilled overall and I think third line is his ceiling. Gambrell plays a 200 foot game and can make some nice passes. He reminds me of Chris Tierney: better defensively, more willing to shoot, but not as high end passing skill. He thrives on the rush and I'm not sure his game translates to the Sharks possession and cycle system. I'd move him at the TDL before LeBanc or the Ch-twins.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any news regarding Praplan? All you hear in Switzerland is that he keeps on getting injured. Now apparently out indefinitely with a knee injury after getting taken out by McDermid. Tough season for Praplan so far. Probably not what he was looking for. At least he gets to live together with Timo and they apparently seem to have a lot of fun together. Should keep Praplan motivated to come back and try again...

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Cuda hung on for a 2-1 win despite being outplayed the first two periods of the game. They turned it on in the third and held Texas to five shots on goal. Korenar made 40 saves and the d did a good job of keeping most of the shots to the outside. Here are some notes from the game:

Chartier and Roy did not play.

Halbgewachs was the best player for the Cuda. Scored an all effort powerplay goal where he crashed the net, regained the puck, and fired it past the goalie on his way falling to the ice. He makes smooth passes and skated all around the offensive zone. While he's not afraid of contact, he's weak on the boards and does not use his shot enough.

True played a 200 foot game. He has good vision and he routinely set-up Jonathan Martin in tight. He goes to the front of the net and relies on his positioning in all three zones as he seems a bit slower than others.

DeSimone played all situations. Yes, he had a few turn-overs, but he's trusted everywhere on the ice.

Jonathon Martin generated scoring chances, many thanks to True; however, he is noticeably in the play in a good way throughout the game. His scoring touch and board work are likely not strong enough to push him to the NHL, but I like him.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Jonathon Martin generated scoring chances, many thanks to True; however, he is noticeably in the play in a good way throughout the game. His scoring touch and board work are likely not strong enough to push him to the NHL, but I like him.

Martin's the sort of guy who would 100% have gotten a callup for the fourth line of the McLellan-era Sharks. Big, physical, defensively responsible, goes to dirty areas, drops the gloves. It wouldn't surprise me if he's on an NHL fourth line one day, somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad