Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The quick early goals will get the attention, but Korenar was fantastic tonight. 31 save shutout. Through 11 games played he's got a 1.99 GAA and .930 SV%.

This is a fun team to follow. Much more talented group than it looks on paper.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Last couple years of Cuda hockey is really making me think about Sommer at the NHL level in some capacity. Give him a team with even a modicum of talent and it seems like the team does pretty well.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Last couple years of Cuda hockey is really making me think about Sommer at the NHL level in some capacity. Give him a team with even a modicum of talent and it seems like the team does pretty well.

Me too. I’m ignorant to the Barracuda though so I’d like to hear why some people are so certain that he would fail in an NHL role.

The Barracuda have allowed 46 goals. Next best is 57. They allowed the 2nd fewest in 2016-2017 and 7th fewest in 2017-2018 although their division does play 8 fewer games than the other 3 divisions. I suppose they had pretty great defensive personnel in 2016-2017, but it was fairly mediocre last year and to my knowledge of these players, it’s fairly mediocre this year as well.

The biggest issue with this team as constructed is that their defensive scheme and structure leads to a high volume of goals against, despite strong defensive personnel. I definitely would like to take a chance on a guy who has led a pretty strong defensive team in the AHL for 3 straight seasons.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Me too. I’m ignorant to the Barracuda though so I’d like to hear why some people are so certain that he would fail in an NHL role.

The Barracuda have allowed 46 goals. Next best is 57. They allowed the 2nd fewest in 2016-2017 and 7th fewest in 2017-2018 although their division does play 8 fewer games than the other 3 divisions. I suppose they had pretty great defensive personnel in 2016-2017, but it was fairly mediocre last year and to my knowledge of these players, it’s fairly mediocre this year as well.

The biggest issue with this team as constructed is that their defensive scheme and structure leads to a high volume of goals against, despite strong defensive personnel. I definitely would like to take a chance on a guy who has led a pretty strong defensive team in the AHL for 3 straight seasons.

Because Sommer has failed so much in the past. He’s the losingest coach in AHL history for a reason.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
This Cuda game is wild 2-2 with 2 fights. Definetly can see Suomela getting his confidence back with the goal that happened to go in off his pass/shot. Then he went around the net and had the goalie beat but didn't realize it and didn't get the shot he would have liked wrapping around, but you can definetly see him going "woah im good".

Darn lost in the shoot out. Gambrell had a nice goal though.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hey, Leaf fan here. Just wondering how K. Middleton is looking? I was a fan of his and was hoping he'd get an ELC, noticed he's producing pretty well.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Hey, Leaf fan here. Just wondering how K. Middleton is looking? I was a fan of his and was hoping he'd get an ELC, noticed he's producing pretty well.
He is great, a future star! Suggest you trade Mitch Marner whom you won’t be able to afford to resign for him straight up. We may even throw in Merkley if you insist.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Not sure if he will get an ELC, but he's a steady, physical AHL defenseman. No complaints about him at all, good guy to have on the roster.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Quietly very solid season for Alex True with 20 points in 26 games and a +17.

Good for him. I want to see it work out for him. Maybe he and blichfeld can be our new Danish duo and make us forget about the disappointment of Hansen/Boedker.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I still think True should get a shot at being our 4 C with Goodrow moving back to wing

If something ever opened up on the fourth line, I'd want to see True or Letunov get the shot.

Letunov looks like he could be a very solid bottom-six guy if he started playing a little more physical. Good hands and speed for a guy his size. Hard to get him off the puck. But for someone who's 6'4" he doesn't seem to use the body a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad