Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know this isn't the most important thing in the world, and shouldn't be really taken into account when selecting who's going to be taken with the #1 over all pick.

However... On more of a side note, if we do take Barkov, Florida takes Mackinnon, and Jones is taken by Tampa. That leaves Nashville without a shot at a sure fire #1 center, which is their biggest need.

It will really hold Nashville back from becoming one of the top teams in our Conference very quickly.

Just throwing it out there, please people do not think I'm saying we 'should' take Barkov #1 overall for this purpose. It is a side benefit however. In saying that, it could make Nashville the team with the most urgent need to move up in the draft.

If your looking to get bigger up front however, do we take the risk of drafting Nichushkin or that Barkov will make it to #4? All for probably one or two good but not great prospects?

Part of me wants Mackinnon, but part of me wants Barkov because I think he give us a huge dynamic that we are missing.

would be an interesting dynamic. definitely would be a byproduct of the decision more than a reason though.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avalanche will probably get dimes on the dollar for moving down a slot or two.

If they really believe Barkov is the best player in the draft, a guy who's going to perform like a Joe Thronton or Eric Lindros, I hope they don't gamble with their pick.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
would be an interesting dynamic. definitely would be a byproduct of the decision more than a reason though.

It depends on how they see Mackinnon & Barkov actually stacking up against each other though. If you have taken care of the main aspects of deciding who to take. The direction of the team and what you want to build can have a legitimate place in deciding who to draft.

Plenty of GM's and scouts have said plainly that they take needs and other things into account when it's very close or even, and to be honest... At least IMO, it's very close.

It's also easier to take some needs and your plans into account when drafting players who will likely step in and contribute almost immediately. There is less of a chance things change drastically within one or two years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lindros?

Barkov is nothing like Lindros.

You do realize that comparisons are never an exact match from player to player right? The only reason Lindros comes up is because that's his favorite player.

Openly hes been compared to Getzlaf and Kopitar the most.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You do realize that comparisons are never an exact match from player to player right? The only reason Lindros comes up is because that's his favorite player.

Openly hes been compared to Getzlaf and Kopitar the most.

Good because he's nothing like Lindros.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Good because he's nothing like Lindros.

If he develops more of a mean streak, it's quite possible that he could fit that type of comparison better though. He's talked about having a willingness and a need to improve that part of his game many times.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
If he develops more of a mean streak, it's quite possible that he could fit that type of comparison better though. He's talked about having a willingness and a need to improve that part of his game many times.

Barkov plays as mean and tenacious as he needs to in any given situation. His competitiveness comes into play. He's a smart player and won't get your team in trouble by taking a dumb penalty by being overly aggressive.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
still... if Barkov is your guy i'd rather him being #2,#3 or #4 than #1.

If Barkov really is their guy, I'd rather have them take him at #1, then trade down and end up getting stuck with someone they don't really want. Especially since you won't gain that much by trading down.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
If Barkov really is their guy, I'd rather have them take him at #1, then trade down and end up getting stuck with someone they don't really want. Especially since you won't gain that much by trading down.

If they trade down a spot or two, I'd fully expect Barkov would still be there. I highly doubt either Florida or Tampa would take him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If they trade down a spot or two, I'd fully expect Barkov would still be there. I highly doubt either Florida or Tampa would take him.

Why? I think Florida easily could take him, if Mac goes first to someone. TB I feel would probably pick Jones, or Barkov if Seth is gone.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Barkov won't be there if we trade down to 4th, plus I don't see why we would allow our future conf rival to pick the player they want the most.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
As a neutral observer I'd have to say it's not worth it to try to trade down. Historically, you'd pick up a second or maybe a second and third to go from 1-2 or 1-3 and only if the team has a specific player in mind. Plus I'd rather have my first choice than risk having my second or third choice plus two of my higher rated "B" prospects who might be stars or might never play for you instead of one.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
He said that he plays like 6'1 but needs to play like 6'3. Im hoping he really starts using that body :D

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
guys, lindros really wasn't mean out there, especially when you went after him.

more like homicidal. there are at least a couple of careers he could have ended on cheap shots.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The Avalanche will probably get dimes on the dollar for moving down a slot or two.

If they really believe Barkov is the best player in the draft, a guy who's going to perform like a Joe Thronton or Eric Lindros, I hope they don't gamble with their pick.

As long as they do not move out of the top 3, they won't be gambling, as they would still get Jones or Mac. Moving to #4 is where the risk starts, as Drouin is not as much of a lock as Mac or Jones IMO and you probably run the risk of a minor PR screwup there.

Best case IMO is to trade with Tampa or Florida and get a 2nd rounder or equal prospect. You then get one of Barkov, Mac, or Jones for sure...and if the Avs really think Barkov is the guy, they either get him or one of the other two guys that are 1-2 in most books. Only way I move down to Nashville is if they give up the equal value of two 2nd rounders, as I think Drouin is the bigger (smaller) risk. Mac seems can't miss as a skill forward, Barkov it seems will at the worst a big 2-way depth center, and Jones should be at least a Johnson level D man down the road.

If they move out of the top 4, the return would have to be massive.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Loved listening to that interview, it's impressive how well he understands the questions. He struggled a bit with some words but seemed to know what the radio guy was asking each time.

It would be nice to have another Russian speaking player on the team with Varly as well.

Barkov's patience with the puck reminds me of the way we see Parenteau slow things down and control the game at times, no panic, and very cerebral, but with a better shot, and obviously more size as well. I think Barkov could be one of those types of centers who can play with a lot of different kinds of players, and be very versatile.

It's easy to see why they like this kid.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It depends on how they see Mackinnon & Barkov actually stacking up against each other though. If you have taken care of the main aspects of deciding who to take. The direction of the team and what you want to build can have a legitimate place in deciding who to draft.

Plenty of GM's and scouts have said plainly that they take needs and other things into account when it's very close or even, and to be honest... At least IMO, it's very close.

It's also easier to take some needs and your plans into account when drafting players who will likely step in and contribute almost immediately. There is less of a chance things change drastically within one or two years.

any fan who legitimately believes teams don't pick based upon need is fooling themselves. every GM in every league takes that into account as a potential tie breaker. a lot of teams say BPA but if you can fill a key hole with a player you rate just a tad below another player then why not? eventually you get to a point where you have enough at one position and have to pick because of need.

say we take Barkov or MacKinnon this season.
next year you cannot legitimately take another C in the first round because of the glut you'll have. Duchene,Staz,ROR,Barkov/MacKinnon and then Hishon in the minors.
then you still have Condon,Heard and Smith developing who have less overall likelihood to be a top 3 C at this point but could pan out.

same with Goalie, our D and Winger depth needs serious work and must be addressed significantly in the next few seasons via the draft.

Tampa is the only real wild card in the draft. Florida wants Mac, that's widely known. Tampa could go with Jones,Drouin,Barkov or Nichushkin, Columbus would likely take Mac if they picked #1.
so it's not a ton of risk even if Barkov is the #1 ranked guy on the board.

As a neutral observer I'd have to say it's not worth it to try to trade down. Historically, you'd pick up a second or maybe a second and third to go from 1-2 or 1-3 and only if the team has a specific player in mind. Plus I'd rather have my first choice than risk having my second or third choice plus two of my higher rated "B" prospects who might be stars or might never play for you instead of one.

that extra 2nd might not seem like much but the Avs have traditionally done work in the 2nd round and picked up some of our better players.
and this is a insanely deep draft. that 2nd rounder might end up being the difference between draft Mirco Mueller,Nic Petan or Robert Hagg and meaning we get to draft 2 of the 3 plus our first.
in this draft another 2nd is like possessing 3 1st round picks.

Last edited:

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
that extra 2nd might not seem like much but the Avs have traditionally done work in the 2nd round and picked up some of our better players.
and this is a insanely deep draft. that 2nd rounder might end up being the difference between draft Mirco Mueller,Nic Petan or Robert Hagg and meaning we get to draft 2 of the 3 plus our first.
in this draft another 2nd is like possessing 3 1st round picks.

Well said. If we flip #1 and 2 with Florida and get their second round pick (#31), we have the top 2 picks in round 2, which is an advantageous position to have in this draft. That small a deal with Florida could give us a big dividend, and be a good PR move for the Avs with their fan base, because all the amateur scouts would scream if we took Barkov first overall.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Guys, think about it. If you're not sure whether or not your guy is going to be there if you trade down, you don't trade down. You take your guy with your pick.

They did this with Landeskog and Heard.

Barkov brings exactly what the organization has been talking about with the new regime change, which is to get bigger up front, while still bringing key values to the table that the org. looks for.

His biggest flaw is his explosive skating, and he knows this, it can be fixed. Tavares was a worse skater but he fixed it just fine, Barkov will be one hell of a player.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lindros?

Barkov is nothing like Lindros.

I disagree, yes they're "highlight" videos, but I see a lot of Lindros style in his game and how he skates through defensemen with his body size. I don't think anybody is comparing his talent to Lindros because that would be sort of laughable just playing styles.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If they really want Barkov, I don't think they can risk trading with anyone other than Florida at #2. Unless TB specifically says they're taking Jones, then I think it's 50-50 on whether Florida takes Barkov or Jones at #2 with MacKinnon gone.

If they get Florida's 31st pick, that would be a big return IMO. They could then package 31 and 32 with something to move into the 1st, and then even package that 1st with something to bring in a legit D. Or keep the two 2nds and have the luxury of picking back to back at the top of one of the Avs best rounds.

To FLA - 1st overall, 3rd rounder (63rd) - Florida doesn't have a 3rd this year, so that may be enticing.

To COL - 2nd overall, 2nd rounder (31st)

That's enough for me, if they really think that highly of Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia