Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've been told by a fairly good source that Finnish C Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov is the target for the Colorado Avalanche as we approach the 2013 NHL Draft.

This may come as a shock to some people, but it shouldn't be. I remember watching him for the first time when he was a young 16 year old at the 2012 World Juniors for Finland. He was one of the youngest players at the event as he had just turned 16 that September. He stood out in amazing fashion. He was big, had great offensive and defensive instincts and ended up with 4 points in 7 games. He also posted 16 points in 32 games in the Finnish Elite League that season, as a 16 year old.

He transitioned into his draft year this past season, putting up 7 points in 6 games at the 2013 World Juniors in Russia. It was also his second year in the Finnish League with Tappara and he ended up posting 21 goals and 48 points in 53 games before an injury ended his season.

He enters the 2013 NHL Entry Draft as one of the youngest players available and was involved in one-on-one interviews with the Avalanche at the recent combine in Toronto.

As for his style of game, he's very similar to Anze Kopitar. He's big, he's fluid, he's got great hockey sense, good vision and a good shot. His skating has been considered his biggest weakness over the last few years, and it's still probably his biggest weakness, but it has definitely improved.

Get the full piece here:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2013/06/source-barkov-is-true-draft-target-for.html

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I said on the prospect, I have this same feeling in my funny bone.

That said I think Avs are taking the interview process way too seriously.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
He might be their target, but I can't see him going 1st overall. If they really want him, then they have to trade down to #3 or #4. Again like I said in an other post, Sakic mentioned Barkov so that they can trade down, draft him, and then pretend he was their guy from the get go.
But again this is just my perception...

just read the full article, I guess you explained the same thing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I share this opinion as well and I've been hyping up Sasha for quite some time.

Also to add to what RS said in the OP, Sasha was to me by far the most impressive player in the SM-Liiga playoffs this past season.

Video from RS's blog entry:

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Interesting to hear further speculation in this direction from an additional source.

Barkov is the guy I wanted last summer and through to the first part of the season, when I thought we would probably pick around 5th, before realizing we had a shot at Jones. I'm a huge fan of this game and would be very happy to see him become an Av.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Who knows what Avs are thinking? There are obviously many things going on and no one with any insight will be gossiping about it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been told by a fairly good source that Finnish C Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov is the target for the Colorado Avalanche as we approach the 2013 NHL Draft.

This may come as a shock to some people, but it shouldn't be. I remember watching him for the first time when he was a young 16 year old at the 2012 World Juniors for Finland. He was one of the youngest players at the event as he had just turned 16 that September. He stood out in amazing fashion. He was big, had great offensive and defensive instincts and ended up with 4 points in 7 games. He also posted 16 points in 32 games in the Finnish Elite League that season, as a 16 year old.

He transitioned into his draft year this past season, putting up 7 points in 6 games at the 2013 World Juniors in Russia. It was also his second year in the Finnish League with Tappara and he ended up posting 21 goals and 48 points in 53 games before an injury ended his season.

He enters the 2013 NHL Entry Draft as one of the youngest players available and was involved in one-on-one interviews with the Avalanche at the recent combine in Toronto.

As for his style of game, he's very similar to Anze Kopitar. He's big, he's fluid, he's got great hockey sense, good vision and a good shot. His skating has been considered his biggest weakness over the last few years, and it's still probably his biggest weakness, but it has definitely improved.

Get the full piece here:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2013/06/source-barkov-is-true-draft-target-for.html

How confident are you that they meant as a 1st overall pick, as opposed to their plan A is to trade down and take Barkov because they're really high on him?

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Before I thought we could get our hands on Jones. Barkov was always my 2nd choice. Way underated to not be ranked in top-3 just because he got injured. Nice thing about Barkov is he can play both wing and center since he has played both position before. A plus, compared to a guy like Mack who only play center. And as I said, I rank Barkov above Drouin. Same style as Datsyuk. Would fit perfectly on a line with O'Reilly and Landeskog.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The only surprise in this to me is they haven't seemed to have much faith in scouting European players lately, which is why I didn't think they'd have him in their top 3.

Impossible. He's over the 5'10 180 lb draft pick requirement.

No no, you mean 160 lbs.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Get the full piece here:

This from The Hockey News

Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 8m
Speaking with a Denver insider, it really sounds like Colorado is going to take Nathan MacKinnon with the first pick now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 11m
Speaking with a Denver insider, it really sounds like Colorado is going to take Nathan MacKinnon with the first pick now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Who knows what Avs are thinking? There are obviously many things going on and no one with any insight will be gossiping about it.

My source does.

How confident are you that they meant as a 1st overall pick, as opposed to their plan A is to trade down and take Barkov because they're really high on him?

Source just confirmed that Barkov is extremely high on the list, potentially even number one. All evidence out there backs up the claim, too.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This from The Hockey News

Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 8m

And?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Before I thought we could get our hands on Jones. Barkov was always my 2nd choice. Way underated to not be ranked in top-3 just because he got injured. Nice thing about Barkov is he can play both wing and center since he has played both position before. A plus, compared to a guy like Mack who only play center. And as I said, I rank Barkov above Drouin. Same style as Datsyuk. Would fit perfectly on a line with O'Reilly and Landeskog.

Barkov has been at wing very rarely. He fits much better at C.

His strengths would be wasted a little at wing imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad