Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really would like to know the Avs euro scouting. It seems to be sub-par at best, could it be possible that a scout really liked Barkov, and ended up following his games for the rest of the season?

By all accounts, this is the entire European scouting department.

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3159

Of course scouts also take trips to watch other guys in other leagues a few times a year to get a frame of reference, and a basis for comparison, so I wouldn't be surprised if Pracey and probably some other guys have seen Barkov play live.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I really would like to know the Avs euro scouting. It seems to be sub-par at best, could it be possible that a scout really liked Barkov, and ended up following his games for the rest of the season?

The Avs Euroscout, Joni Lehto, lives in the city that Barkov plays in. The one time we need good info on a European player our scout is in the perfect position to see him play. If you do some research you'll also see that Barkov's name didn't appear out of nowhere, he's been considered a top pick in this draft since last season, and not just by the Avs.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
If the Avs think Barkov is going to be the best player in the draft they should draft him, even if they can't trade down.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Wow, he signs autographs and shows up first for practice. ...lets draft him with 1st overall cuz thats a brilliant reason to waste the 1st overall pick.

Just like lets draft Landeskog 2nd overall because he gives good interviews and he's a good guy. Never mind that there are much more skilled players available like Huberdeau, Mackinnon.

After all you need good autograph signers and good interview givers to win in NHL.

You don't think we should have drafted Landeskog? :laugh:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, but this isn't the PL and Sherman/FG show anymore. I think Sakic and Roy know a thing or two about talent and how important it is to a team.

Pracey is still the head honcho for the draft and i doubt they go heavily away from his ideals.
i think the drafting will change a bit due to philosophical differences for Sakic and Roy vs PL but they are still likely to lean on Pracey and his recommendations.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I think that Barkov is the best choice for the Avs if we draft a foward. Barkov has a great combination of size and skill. The Avs already have enough small skilled forwards they need to add some size. Besides Landeskog we do not have any bigger skilled players. A one two punch of Duchene Barkov makes much more sense than Duchene MacKinnon. Matchups are harder for other teams and the Avs have increased flexibility.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I think that Barkov is the best choice for the Avs if we draft a foward. Barkov has a great combination of size and skill. The Avs already have enough small skilled forwards they need to add some size. Besides Landeskog we do not have any bigger skilled players. A one two punch of Duchene Barkov makes much more sense than Duchene MacKinnon. Matchups are harder for other teams and the Avs have increased flexibility.

That's a lot of speed for teams to deal with though . Sure Barkov gives us a different look, but Landeskog and O'Reilly can provide that.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Does Tampa want to move up at all? I could see them interested in Jones if we aren't, a Hedman-Jones top pairing could be deadly in a few years with Stammer up front. I think something like

To Tampa
1st Overall

To Avs
Aulie
3rd overall

could get it done. Aulie is 6'6'', a LH D and only 24 and we strengthen our D. Obviously one of our other D would have to be moved in another deal.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Does Tampa want to move up at all? I could see them interested in Jones if we aren't, a Hedman-Jones top pairing could be deadly in a few years with Stammer up front. I think something like

To Tampa
1st Overall

To Avs
Aulie
3rd overall

could get it done. Aulie is 6'6'', a LH D and only 24 and we strengthen our D. Obviously one of our other D would have to be moved in another deal.

Yzie has said he intends to stay put FWIW

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

To Tampa
1st Overall

To Avs
Aulie
3rd overall

I'm not sure if I missed something with Aulie, but he looks like a career #5-6 defender to me. I suspect it would cost Tampa significantly more to trade up.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I believe he used to, but hasn't for at least the last couple of seasons. He's a C through and through, as of this point in time.

Yep, that's what I meant. I believe junior forwards here play both center and wing at some point in time and then become either pure wingers, center/wingers or pure centers (the rarest type). Barkov's a good example of the last type.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And the flavor of the day, at least according to Roy, is none other than Nate Mackinnon. BTW Nate has been my choice for number 1 for two years already...hasn't budged from that spot not for a nanosecond. But, I'm confounded at the way the Avs are approaching this draft... it's nothing short of bizarre. Can't wait til my draft party BBQ with cases upon cases of Moosehead beer...

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
No. 1 overall picks are franchise players. I'm not shocked that the Avs are taking the approach that they have. If anything, it simply flushes out the "best" offers for teams that would have wanted to take McKinnon.

The chances the Avs deal the pick are probably next to nil. They are committed to taking McKinnon and building around him. He's Roy's guy, so I don't see a scenario where they don't take him.

It will be interesting to see if they will look at making a move to get the no.3 or 4 pick to take Drouin if he's available. I don't know that the Avs have what it would take to make that happen though (I wouldn't be smart to deal Duchene or Landeskog obviously).

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
And the flavor of the day, at least according to Roy, is none other than Nate Mackinnon. BTW Nate has been my choice for number 1 for two years already...hasn't budged from that spot not for a nanosecond. But, I'm confounded at the way the Avs are approaching this draft... it's nothing short of bizarre. Can't wait til my draft party BBQ with cases upon cases of Moosehead beer...

Certainly the way the Avs have approached it, with all the disclosures over their intentions (assuming it's not a ruse), is odd. I do think the fact that they are picking #1 factors into it. People have asked "why tip your hand" and the fact that aside from trading the pick, they can do whatever they want to do (and even a trade would require their approval). I mean nobody can come in and mess up what the Avs want to do because they ostensibly know what the Avs are going to do. Having the #1 pick is fairly unique in that regard and I'd expect that we can't look to the way they are handling it as an indicator of how they will conduct business in the future.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Am I the only one who doesnt care who they take aslong as its one of Jones, Mack, Drouin or Barkov?

For me it depends on where they pick.

At #1 it better be Mack - Jones would be my other option aside from the #1 overall dman stigma

At #2 Im good with Jones or Mack (who wouldnt be there) or even Barkov, I am hesitant with Drouin because I worry about his game translating to the NHL so no go for me at #2

At #3 and #4 I am good with any of the big four

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
For me it depends on where they pick.

At #1 it better be Mack - Jones would be my other option aside from the #1 overall dman stigma

At #2 Im good with Jones or Mack (who wouldnt be there) or even Barkov, I am hesitant with Drouin because I worry about his game translating to the NHL so no go for me at #2

At #3 and #4 I am good with any of the big four

this x1000. it matters where they pick. only 2 guys you can legitimately take #1 overall. Mac or Jones. if you move down the scale slides a bit. not sure i can fully believe that Drouin is the #2 guy on the list though. Roy said it but Sakic saying what he said about if picking #1 still sticks in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad