Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Looks a lot like Kopitar in this video IMO. Also is that Ville Nieminen playing with him? I loved that guy as a player.

Yeah his mentor and his linemate. They have father-son like relationship. They work together offseason etc.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barkov wouldn't be in my top three so I would hate taking him 1st overall. I also wouldn't like leaving one of the top three on the board and taking Barkov instead. If he's the guy, they better get a really good asset in return and move down to take him.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
The Avs plan is basically trading down to no less than 3. Gain a top 3 D man as part of trade. Then take Barkov.

If there is no trade to be made, Avs stick with 1st overall and will be taking Mackinnon.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Wow, I had seen other 12-13 highlight vids but not this one, or the full shift of that no look spin pass. Tell me :42 isn't Peter Forsberg from start to finish. That was something special.

Both that shift, and the previous video of his first 7 goals showed a tenacity, and a hard on his stick puck battle that none of the other highlight clips showed before. They mainly showed him coasting around using his vision and smarts, and his intensity to fight through the tighter checking NHL, and willingness to engage physically rather than just passively shielding the puck with his body all the time was the one thing I was a bit iffy about. I think his skating will be just fine too.

Barkov is big competitor and heart and soul player. He doesen't lay big hits but stays focused and well positioned. When he battles from the puck and the boards or sees a loose puck infront of net he fights hard and never gives up, it's like throwing bone for a dog. Barkov blocks shots even his team leads by multiple goals at the end of the game. I would compare his work ethic, willingness to do everything for the team and his compete level to Jere Lehtinen and it is huge praise. Jere Lehtinen was a warrior who held ice packs on his bruises for every intermission fought like hell for the team. I see similar passion, work ethic and personality in the two. Jere Lehtinen never was physical but played body to get the puck. Of course Barkov is on the different level in offensive talent than Lehtinen was.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Havent seen this mentioned, but how serious was his shoulder injury this year. Possibly re-occuring? Did he have surgery?

Based on what has been told about the injury, it was labrum injury. They need surgery as/if they are bad and take time but good thing is they recover very well. Could take closer to year until it's really 100% but it varies. Only thing that might be left is that shoulder will never be as flexible, as the anchors in shoulder keep it tight. Sort of better that way than it'd be loose and pop out after every hit.

He says he's fine by September, we'll see. If he is, it wasn't that bad one. For example, Ryan Murray had labrum surgery at the end of last year or maybe very start of this year and should be cleared for contact by the time Jackets prospect camp rolls around in couple of weeks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Barkov body fat: 11.8%

Enjoy!

One of Finnish 'biggest' reporters said on twitter a few days ago that Jones doesn't have NHL body and is #6D at most.. and isn't surprised about Sakic comments about forwards bc Barkov and Nate are ready NOW.

Anyway, Barkov had shoulder surgery, it isn't surprised that he's body fat is around that leve, must have shoot u a bit.

To me, both Jones and Barkov bodyfat% is almost a good thing. What happens when they get leaner? To me this indicates that they have more untapped potential there, compared to they were 230 lbs. with 5% body fat.

I don't know how it's with you out there in Sweden but Finnish NHL reporters.. man they can be brutal at times.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know how it's with you out there in Sweden but Finnish NHL reporters.. man they can be brutal at times.

Most serious NHL fans here don't use Swedish media as a primary source for NHL news.

That leaves the mainstream media to mostly focus on the big names (Lundqvist, Zetterberg, Sedins) and eastern teams, who play afternoon games in the spring.

ScotAv

Jul 28, 2011
Glasgow
If Barkov is our guy I'd be happy with him, not at #1, or #2. Have to be #3/4. More I read and see about him the more I like him. I think the organisation, if this is the case, are showing the kind of faith in Duchene that he must be enjoy but also that he has to ensure he performs to. They're essentially saying we don't feel we need the speedy/skillful #1 C guy, we want the bigger bodied, still offensively brilliant guy.

With Barkov and Duchene, you have a potentially lethal 1a and 1b combination. With RoR playing 3rd line C, we can roll three strong lines down the middle. Convert Stazz to a playmaking wing and things are looking real good. Jones may take a while to have the same level of impact, and I have to be honest he's still my #1 choice. But now it's more like Jones #1, Barkov #1a, MacKinnon #1b and Drouin #2.

Will not be gutted with any of them, may be gutted with where we take our guy.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
One of Finnish 'biggest' reporters said on twitter a few days ago that Jones doesn't have NHL body and is #6D at most.. and isn't surprised about Sakic comments about forwards bc Barkov and Nate are ready NOW.

Anyway, Barkov had shoulder surgery, it isn't surprised that he's body fat is around that leve, must have shoot u a bit.

To me, both Jones and Barkov bodyfat% is almost a good thing. What happens when they get leaner? To me this indicates that they have more untapped potential there, compared to they were 230 lbs. with 5% body fat.

I don't think you realize that 11% body fat is pretty low, especially for guys with mass. You don't find it much lower except in cyclists, runners, and swimmers.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

I don't think they compare much at all when Landeskog is playing 'his' game like his rookie year.

There is KHL level guys against him and Finnish goalies are one of the best in the world. Barkov looks like grown 28 years old who has played many years in top level here. He is 17.... :help:

...and actually some of those clips he is 16... he's not the sexy Canadian pick, but look at him, is he was from Canada, you didn't think anyone to take before him. I am glad if he can get good team, no matter when he get drafted.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think you realize that 11% body fat is pretty low, especially for guys with mass. You don't find it much lower except in cyclists, runners, and swimmers.

This true, spent 10 years in the military and when I had 5% body fat I was told it was unhealthy. Most of the bigger guys had 11-15% as well, and could still run an eleven minute two mile, or 5 miles in 30-35 minutes.

I'm not saying he can't cut up a bit more, but there is a healthy balance there with your body. People really shouldn't comment on this stuff when they don't know jack.

There really isn't that many guys that are 17-18 and going to be 6'3 200 plus pounds in general at the draft to compare with either. Even most of the taller guys are under 200 and skinny as hell at that age.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
My guess is that Avs and Nashville have already traded their picks, or at least are very close to a deal like 4th+2014 1st round pick. So saying that they'll take any of the top 3 forwards if they pick first is a safety netting to keep fan base happy. Since there are only two possibilities. 1 of the three forwards there for taking at 4 and Jones already taken. Or Jones still there at #4 and all the supposed better forwards gone so they are "forced" to take Jones.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
My guess is that Avs and Nashville have already traded their picks, or at least are very close to a deal like 4th+2014 1st round pick. So saying that they'll take any of the top 3 forwards if they pick first is a safety netting to keep fan base happy. Since there are only two possibilities. 1 of the three forwards there for taking at 4 and Jones already taken. Or Jones still there at #4 and all the supposed better forwards gone so they are "forced" to take Jones.

If they did trade the pick they let everybody know about this. Also I don't think 2014 1st round is tempting offer for Colorado especially that Nashville could be playoff team again and it will be pick around no 20. 4th this year +20 next year is not worthy trade 1st overall and cross fingers one of forwards (i.e Barkov if we want him) is still there at No 4. AVS want pick and prospect/young player who already plays in NHL not only picks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Most serious NHL fans here don't use Swedish media as a primary source for NHL news.

That leaves the mainstream media to mostly focus on the big names (Lundqvist, Zetterberg, Sedins) and eastern teams, who play afternoon games in the spring.

Yeah, most hardcore fans won't follow the media here in Finland either , I think.. except for lolz.

Low is relative.

For hockey players, I wouldn't say it's low. Around normal.

Many weight category sports have lower. Athletics.

Not that it matters lot. Results on ice matter. If it helps recovery by eating more, not stressing about it, possibly on injury risk etc. over 10% is perfectly fine.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Ok so... With this kid at 17 years of age tearing apart a men's league and hands like that. Is Barkov/Mackinnon such a stretch?

Would Mackinnon of put up almost a point per game against men as a 17 year old? No one can say that the FEL does not have amazing talent in goal either.

There are some people who feel like Barkov is a sleeper, and Colorado may be one of those teams.

God that first deke had the goalie out of his jock strap. A 6'3 205lbs version of Datsyuk? Good lord...

I always said his style is more like Datsyuk. But people kept saying his style is more like Kopitar. He got his size but not his style. He's as deadly in defensive zone as Datsyuk...future Selke candidate. That is why I'm saying a line of Landeskog-O'Reilly-Barkov would be INSANE!

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Barkov body fat: 11.8%

Enjoy!

:laugh:

Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hey, Ivan I know you watched Barkov a lot and you're a fan of his so, what do you think of the Barkov and Koivu comparison?

I'm a huge fan of his, I wouldn't say I saw a lot of his games, but I catch a game every once in a while and I follow him since he entered the SM-Liiga, because of a tip from my buddy who told me I should keep tabs on this Russian/Suomi kid.

Now about the Koivu comparison, Sasha is far more talented of the two, his hands are amazing, he works well in tight spaces, uses his body to protect the puck quite well, has a better shot and by far superior playmaking skills.

IMHO a Koivu type player is a low end projection of Sasha and I still think that he compares best to a certain big Swedish center who got picked 1st overall by the QC.

I would say that Barkov projects as a better scorer. And smarter. To me, Koivu could use his body a little more and/or effectively, imo Barkov doesn't/won't have problem with that. Koivu does protect the puck well, but I mean in puck battles and net drives.

But not as good intangibles. Koivu's leadership is top notch imo.

Pretty much spot on.

I'd also like to say that while most prefer Mac and that they aren't that thrilled with the prospect of drafting Barkov #1, I wouldn't have a single problem with the Avs doing this and trust me a couple of years down the road you'll be happy he's playing for the Avs if he gets drafted by them.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I'm a huge fan of his, I wouldn't say I saw a lot of his games, but I catch a game every once in a while and I follow him since he entered the SM-Liiga, because of a tip from my buddy who told me I should keep tabs on this Russian/Suomi kid.

Now about the Koivu comparison, Sasha is far more talented of the two, his hands are amazing, he works well in tight spaces, uses his body to protect the puck quite well, has a better shot and by far superior playmaking skills.

IMHO a Koivu type player is a low end projection of Sasha and I still think that he compares best to a certain big Swedish center who got picked 1st overall by the QC.

Pretty much spot on.

I'd also like to say that while most prefer Mac and that they aren't that thrilled with the prospect of drafting Barkov #1, I wouldn't have a single problem with the Avs doing this and trust me a couple of years down the road you'll be happy he's playing for the Avs if he gets drafted by them.

The Sundin comparison might not far off :nod:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's nothing we can complain regardless of which of the big 4 we get. We all have our preferences, but each of them will be excellent players in the NHL. I still prefer Seth, but everything I've heard and seen from Barkov is exciting as well.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Maybe we can swing a deal with Nashville if they really want MacKinnon.

Wilson/Watson + Smith + 4th for 1st?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Colin Wilson is going absolute nowhere for the Preds, he was basically their best offensive player last year. I understand MacKinnon has more potential, but he is their Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad