Speculation: Barkov is true draft target for Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
You guys can justify all this Barkov hype coming from the Avs all you want, but the fact is 29 other teams would take either Jones or Mackinnon with 1st overall.

Avs have been doing things their way while ignoring the general rules of drafting talent first, but Avs go for character first.

This is why 3 years in a row no playoffs, and a slow moving rebuild, cuz Avs want to be unique and do things their way.

Im not saying they are picking Barkov 1st overall, I hope they dont, but yet I wont be surprised if they do.

And if they do pick Barkov 1st that's just another couple of years set back for this organization.

No denying the Avs have made some god awful decisions for really the past 10 years. But drafting is the one lone exception to that. It has been the only factor keeping this team afloat.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
- How do you just make a number and call it a fact? You don't have access to all 29 teams personal draft boards bud.

- Say what you want about Barkov, but in no way does him going first show a "character first" pick. He's just as much a character guy as someone like MacKinnon is.

- You have no idea if picking him first will be another setback for the organization. Nobody knows that, especially you.

Well Avs like character players who work hard and real team players which is fine, but is that good enough reason to pass up on a better talent?

I always thought teams pick talent first, because you can build character, you can learn to become a team player, but you cant teach or learn talent. Talent often comes naturally.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Well Avs like character players who work hard and real team players which is fine, but is that good enough reason to pass up on a better talent?

I always thought teams pick talent first, because you can build character, you can learn to become a team player, but you cant teach or learn talent. Talent often comes naturally.

Yeah, but this isn't the PL and Sherman/FG show anymore. I think Sakic and Roy know a thing or two about talent and how important it is to a team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I disagree. You can teach someone to skate faster or to shoot more accurately. What you can't really teach is how someone thinks the game, what their size is, or how much effort you put into the game. That is why talents such as Arnason and Wolski have all but played their way out of hockey.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I disagree. You can teach someone to skate faster or to shoot more accurately. What you can't really teach is how someone thinks the game, what their size is, or how much effort you put into the game. That is why talents such as Arnason and Wolski have all but played their way out of hockey.

You can't teach anyone natural talent. If you could there would be many more Crosbys and Ovechkins.

Yeah you can teach someone to skate better or shoot better but not a god given talent and instincts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow, he signs autographs and shows up first for practice. ...lets draft him with 1st overall cuz thats a brilliant reason to waste the 1st overall pick.

Just like lets draft Landeskog 2nd overall because he gives good interviews and he's a good guy. Never mind that there are much more skilled players available like Huberdeau, Mackinnon.

After all you need good autograph signers and good interview givers to win in NHL.

You guys can justify all this Barkov hype coming from the Avs all you want, but the fact is 29 other teams would take either Jones or Mackinnon with 1st overall.

Avs have been doing things their way while ignoring the general rules of drafting talent first, but Avs go for character first.

This is why 3 years in a row no playoffs, and a slow moving rebuild, cuz Avs want to be unique and do things their way.

Im not saying they are picking Barkov 1st overall, I hope they dont, but yet I wont be surprised if they do.

And if they do pick Barkov 1st that's just another couple of years set back for this organization.

I'm starting to think you really are Kiszla.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I won't be upset with Barkov, I want Mackinnon and I'd rather Drouin over him as well. I haven't watched alot of him obviously, just whatever's been available. Only thing I really know is Lindros comparisons are silly, even with there playing styles. Guess if you never seen Big E play but it'll be a longtime before we see anything similar to him in anyway.

I feel like Barkov is 100% a player you don't need to use the 1st pick on, if we take him needs to be at 2/3 even if your only picking up a 3rd rounder or some subpar return.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado

Just a thought.....I'd rather have Jonathan Toews on my team than Steven Stamkos. Any day. Who has won a cup and is playing for another, and who has a 60 goal season? Who's the talented one and who's the one with character (& a splash of talent, too)? This isn't a reflection on the character of either guy in this draft, as I don't know anything beyond what I read here, but if this is the argument at hand, I don't go pure talent, I pick the guy who will help get my team to a championship.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
You can't teach anyone natural talent. If you could there would be many more Crosbys and Ovechkins.

Yeah you can teach someone to skate better or shoot better but not a god given talent and instincts.

Seems like Barkov has god-given talent and instincts... so I don't see the huge issue. You act like he's going to be a Mikko Koivu, when the comparisons have been to much more offensively gifted players like Sundin and Thornton.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Just a thought.....I'd rather have Jonathan Toews on my team than Steven Stamkos. Any day. Who has won a cup and is playing for another, and who has a 60 goal season? Who's the talented one and who's the one with character (& a splash of talent, too)? This isn't a reflection on the character of either guy in this draft, as I don't know anything beyond what I read here, but if this is the argument at hand, I don't go pure talent, I pick the guy who will help get my team to a championship.

I respectfully disagree with you on that one. I take Stamkos over Toews every time.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
I respectfully disagree with you on that one. I take Stamkos over Toews every time.

Fair enough. To each his own. But I see in Toews a guy who leads his team and can get to another level. Stamkos may have that too, but you can't deny that JT has captained his team to the finals twice and Stamkos just has lots of regular season goals.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Fair enough. To each his own. But I see in Toews a guy who leads his team and can get to another level. Stamkos may have that too, but you can't deny that JT has captained his team to the finals twice and Stamkos just has lots of regular season goals.

Toews plays for a much better team. From a talent perspective, personally, I find him a tad overrated even. (Not much though...I don't want to get nailed here). Stamkos on the Hawks instead of Toews would make them a better team just because of the pure goal scoring ability.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
So, if Barkov is drafted, would it be much of a stretch to see the Avs give Nieminen a contract to play on the bottom lines? Can he even still play at an NHL level?

I think he can if he wants to go.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2661
Last year was his best year in europe 50 points at 57 games + i remember that he said in some interview that this year he played best hockey of his career.

I would love to see Barkov and Nieminen same team in NHL:nod:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I think he can if he wants to go.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2661
Last year was his best year in europe 50 points at 57 games + i remember that he said in some interview that this year he played best hockey of his career.

I would love to see Barkov and Nieminen same team in NHL:nod:

doubt he's coming back he was more effective in pre-lockout play and being 36 his best days are likely behind him.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Lindros?

Barkov is nothing like Lindros.

I haven't seen the guy play, but the faulty comparison doesn't take away from my point.

I'm pretty much all aboard the Nathan MacKinnon train but if the Avs think Barkov will be the best I hope they select him and don't look back.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

But who says MacKinnon is CLEARLY the "better talent". If the Avs ended up thinking that way and take him, so be it. They've seen him more than I have and have clearly seen him more than you have. I think I'll trust them to make an educated selection.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really would like to know the Avs euro scouting. It seems to be sub-par at best, could it be possible that a scout really liked Barkov, and ended up following his games for the rest of the season?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

What really? Chicago and Tampa are two totally different team, at totally different points in their rebuild. Toews is a very good player and leader, but Stamkos is one of the three best players in the league, and is only 23.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Toews plays for a much better team. From a talent perspective, personally, I find him a tad overrated even. (Not much though...I don't want to get nailed here). Stamkos on the Hawks instead of Toews would make them a better team just because of the pure goal scoring ability.

What really? Chicago and Tampa are two totally different team, at totally different points in their rebuild. Toews is a very good player and leader, but Stamkos is one of the three best players in the league, and is only 23.

Very fair point about team strength. I think the toughest part is to find the perfect balance of guys, some who offer scoring talent, and others who offer character and leadership without sacrificing too much either way. We've all seen talent laden teams lose out and we've all read insider info about teams who have gone far & won because of the character guys & leadership in the room. Do we have enough character guys & need to add a pure high-end talent guy? Possibly. Sure would be fun to watch. With a #1 pick, maybe we get the rare guy with both qualities.

I will say that no matter what player we add at the draft, be it supreme talent/less character or the reverse...in other words if Mac is the Stamkos type or if Barkov is the Toews type and we pick one of the two...our team will be much better off having added either one. Stamkos on the avs makes us leaps better, and Toews on the avs does, too.

Also, to the point of finding another gear, Mac sure did a lot for his case in the Memorial Cup for a guy who plays his biggest in the biggest games. I'd take that for sure. I hope they make the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino