Weekes: Barbashev drawing lots of interest: Expected return is 1st or 2nd + prospect

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IMO Blues should blow it up and get on with the rebuild asap. no point in forcing the issue. Blues got a cup out of their line-up; players are getting old and what not. they should do a fire sale

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
IMO Blues should blow it up and get on with the rebuild asap. no point in forcing the issue. Blues got a cup out of their line-up; players are getting old and what not. they should do a fire sale

There’s no way to effectively do a fire sale in one season.

Way too many players who are good enough contributors, many of them with term.

Even if we move all of the UFAs which I believe we will and should. We still have the core of a 1st line and a 2nd line contracted for 3 years + very affordably.

For better or worse, we also have our top 4 solidified for 4 years and a goalie for 4 as well. To effectively rebuild we’d have to move at least 2 of the defensemen, Schenn and probably Saad. There isn’t enough cap space available to do that throughout the league for buyers. So you either dump them which is no benefit as they are still contributing players or take what you can get from the UFAs and slowly phase out guys as the seasons go as needed which is what I beleive our strategy is.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lehkonen's return last year - 2nd and a prospect - feels more accurate, and Lehkonen was still RFA at the end of the playoffs and seen as a more sure thing anchoring a line for a Cup contender, Barbashev is UFA, certainly not a top-6 guy and I don't know that he's a guy you drop on your Cup-contending 3rd line and walk away saying yep, I feel really good he's locked down that spot.

What have we learned over the years, though? All it takes is one GM, and that GM usually ends up being someone who talks themselves into being certain the guy is a fit and he ends up bidding against himself at the very end. It's possible someone ends up throwing a 1st for him, but if it happens I think it's highly likely most of HF looks back in the offseason and says wow, that was a bad move, congrats to the Blues for making out on that one.
Agreed. Barbashev is flawed but useful and versatile. *I* certainly don’t think he’s worth a first or a second and “notable” prospect as a pure rental and I think most would agree. And I would even less want to hand him a new contract to justify a trade.

But even though we can pull trade comps to say “no way he should be worth ‘x’” - fresh of a really good GM in Zito temporarily going brain dead and capitulating on a total dud in Chiarot - we also should know by now not to say with certainty any rental “can not bring back ‘x’” either.

So it’s certainly possible seem team not only capitulates and gives the Blues a first - but then compounds things by signing Barbashev to a lucrative 5 year deal to justify the outlay.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
I don't think he gets a 1st either but I wouldn't completely rule that out.

I hope he ends up here and I'd easily give a 2nd and a prospect for him.
The Blues turned Ryan Reaves and a late 2nd into a late 1st and Oskar Sundvqvist. Barbashev could certainly return a 1st in the right market conditions and or package of assets exchanged between two teams. Whether he does or not remains to be seen. I'd guess his likely value in a direct swap is probably closer to a 2nd and a low to midish level prospect than it is to a one for one swap for a late 1st but I suppose we will find out in short order.

Dec 15, 2002
The Blues turned Ryan Reaves and a late 2nd into a late 1st and Oskar Sundvqvist. Barbashev could certainly return a 1st in the right market conditions and or package of assets exchanged between two teams.
While it's technically true that the Blues got "a late 1st" in the Reaves deal, it's not like the Blues got a pick in the high teens or even the mid-20s. It was literally the last pick in the 1st round. Had it been a year earlier, it would have been the 1st pick in the 2nd round, and I don't think anyone is rolling out the Blues turned Ryan Reaves and a late 2nd into an early 2nd and Oskar Sundqvist like it's the same huge accomplishment.

And comparing Barbashev being dealt at the deadline, when he's UFA in 4 1/2 months, to the trade with Reaves (established NHLer, still under contract for another season at $1,125,000 before becoming UFA) and Sundqvist (23, coming off his ELC, hadn't stuck in the NHL, not going to be RFA for 4 more seasons) is like comparing the return on Ryan O'Reilly in 2015 to the return on Ryan O'Reilly in 2018 and saying "they're the same because he was traded at about the same point in the year," ignoring that there's a whole lot of things that are different between the two trades.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
do it Dubas, find a way because f*** it

There is an article in the Athletic where they mention that initially the Leafs and Blues were talking a deal involving both O'Reilly and Barbashev but the former got removed from the deal because Doug Armstrong apparantly thought he could get a 1st round pick for Barbashev on his own.

Reactions: Mike Liut

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is an article in the Athletic where they mention that initially the Leafs and Blues were talking a deal involving both O'Reilly and Barbashev but the former got removed from the deal because Doug Armstrong apparantly thought he could get a 1st round pick for Barbashev on his own.

I don't think he can, but maybe

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I don't think he can, but maybe

Well, let's just say that I don't expect a 1st for Barbashev, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they do get one.

It is reported that Barbashev is gathering interest from a lot of teams, so it wouldn't be out of the question if one of them panics and offers something slightly above Barbashev's actual value. We've seen weirder things at the deadline the last couple of years.

Also, some users mentioned above, we could also see a deal in the same vein as the Reaves + 2nd for Sundqvist +1st deal. Maybe Barbashev and a 2024 2nd round pick for a 1st and a prospect... or something like that.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Armstrong is deciding when the music stops in the musical chairs game this year, he blocked Chicago in particular and possibly others from getting value, got full value on his top two prizes and his third prize (Barbashev) remains pure deadline candy and there are 13 full days left.

Additionally teams know the moment he has the deal he wants he's pulling the trigger so the assumption you can wait right til the end is not a solid one. Make your best offer early.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
While it's technically true that the Blues got "a late 1st" in the Reaves deal, it's not like the Blues got a pick in the high teens or even the mid-20s. It was literally the last pick in the 1st round. Had it been a year earlier, it would have been the 1st pick in the 2nd round, and I don't think anyone is rolling out the Blues turned Ryan Reaves and a late 2nd into an early 2nd and Oskar Sundqvist like it's the same huge accomplishment.

And comparing Barbashev being dealt at the deadline, when he's UFA in 4 1/2 months, to the trade with Reaves (established NHLer, still under contract for another season at $1,125,000 before becoming UFA) and Sundqvist (23, coming off his ELC, hadn't stuck in the NHL, not going to be RFA for 4 more seasons) is like comparing the return on Ryan O'Reilly in 2015 to the return on Ryan O'Reilly in 2018 and saying "they're the same because he was traded at about the same point in the year," ignoring that there's a whole lot of things that are different between the two trades.
I'm not ignoring any of that. I'm simply saying that while I personally peg Barbashev's trade value at a 2nd and a mid levelish prospect, it's certainly possible for a trade to be crafted involving Barbashev that returns a 1st to the Blues ala the Ryan Reaves deal.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Armstrong is deciding when the music stops in the musical chairs game this year, he blocked Chicago in particular and possibly others from getting value, got full value on his top two prizes and his third prize (Barbashev) remains pure deadline candy and there are 13 full days left.

Additionally teams know the moment he has the deal he wants he's pulling the trigger so the assumption you can wait right til the end is not a solid one. Make your best offer early.

He’s done a phenomenal job given the perceived depth and strength of the draft along with all of the names on the market.

Very confident he gets what he wants for Barbashev or at least very close to it in terms of draft pick compensation.

Not sure he’s been in this situation before, but he’s handled it wonderfully.

Reactions: Blueston

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012

And good thing. It always pisses me off NHL gm's sit on their asses until the last day.

Godfather

Feb 13, 2004
With Meier out with an injury. STL blocked the 2 possible destinations for Patrick Kane, when trading Tarasenko and O’Reilly.

Barbashev getting a better look.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He will be traded to TB. 50% Retained for a 2nd round pick (2024)

Ask for Barbashev is apparantly a (late) first. Now I don't expect us to get that, but a 2nd + 3rd shouldn't be out of the question, especially if we need to retain on him. Tampa's 2nd is probably going to be a low pick and is in '24, so I'd rather wait for a better offer. Reportedly there's is a lot of interest from quite a few teams.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He will be traded to TB. 50% Retained for a 2nd round pick (2024)
And what else? You're halfway to the value

Ask for Barbashev is apparantly a (late) first. Now I don't expect us to get that, but a 2nd + 3rd shouldn't be out of the question, especially if we need to retain on him. Tampa's 2nd is probably going to be a low pick and is in '24, so I'd rather wait for a better offer. Reportedly there's is a lot of interest from quite a few teams.
2d + 3d would be disappointing.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think you can get a late first or early second especially with salary retained.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Out east, I would think its just Tampa (no 1st), Boston (no 2nd) and Pittsburgh (too low of a first) left. I am sure STL would try to hold out for Boston's first, just don't see Boston doing that. NJ and Carolina are going big game fishing. Toronto and NYI already made their forward ads. What western teams would be in on Barbashev?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad