Weekes: Barbashev drawing lots of interest: Expected return is 1st or 2nd + prospect

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
The guy has a phenomenal 200 foot game. Can play any position and will finish his checks as good as anyone. He is not real strong on the dot. Hearing the Blues would like to re-sign him but looking for a little too much for our liking. I think I would love a 1st for him, but would settle for two 2nd’s.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
St. Louis ending up with three extra 1sts for Tarasenko, ROR and Barbashev would be a very nice haul. Especially in this Draft.

I like Barbashev as a UFA for Carolina next year but I hope they stay far away from those rental prices. I'd much rather have Henrique for 2 Playoffs.

Reactions: Spektre

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No clue where he ends up but plenty of teams will be making offers.
My random guess … Pitt or Vegas …or Flames or Leafs or… lol.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I don't expect a late 1st for Barbashev, but I also wouldn't be surprised looking at his contract and the rumored interest.

Would be insane though if we'd get a late '23 first for him and a return including a '23 first for O'Reilly. Next draft is going to be interesting in that case to say the least.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pitt… do you have any good young D prospects that may be a year away?

Isaac Belliveau is probably the closest thing to a prospect that they have on defense that could be available for a rental trade. They won't do Pickering and Belliveau is the next best they have. Yes, I know that's an astronomical drop off :laugh:

Belliveau is an interesting guy because he was looking like a much higher round pick before COVID, he had 53 points in 62 games as a 16/17 year old with Rimouski before COVID. But I think he's an example of a guy who had his development really screwed up by COVID.

Reactions: domaug

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Absolutely not, way too much for Barbashev.

Think more like Belliveau and a 2nd than Smith and a 2nd.

How do you value Pickering?

If we do: Barbashev 50% retained + taking on either the Kapanen or Blueger contract straight up for Pickering? Is that close or is Pickering off the table?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How do you value Pickering?

If we do: Barbashev 50% retained + taking on either the Kapanen or Blueger contract straight up for Pickering? Is that close or is Pickering off the table?

Totally off the table for a rental. I’d expect Blueger to be in the deal, but Pickering is an absolute deal breaker.

I’d expect their offer to be something like Blueger, Belliveau and a 2023 2nd for Barbashev. That’s pretty similar to their trade last year of Aston-Reese, Clang and a 2022 2nd for Rakell. I imagine that could be beat by other teams, but the Penguins aren’t really in a position where I think they’d be willing to spend top assets on rentals.

Reactions: domaug

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I am not sure what I like more, the content of Weekes' tweet or that it's Weekes himself saying this ... because it is exactly and precisely what we have been saying and hoping continually about Barbashev's value at this deadline given his contract and Blues' ability to retain/take back salary.

We have been comping him (Copping him?) to Andrew Copp who got two seconds last year, so our hopes have been:

1. One first instead of two seconds
2. A second and a specific prospect we like right now
3. Two seconds

Barbashev is a swiss army knife player who can slot in with a lot of duos up front. He kills penalties and while he's not your first PP option, he has real offensive skills that flow with a PP so you can have him as an option for your second unit. He also plays the exact type of playoff style you want. He is deadline candy. Please give us a first like Kevin says!

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
High price for a guy with 3 goals in 50 playoff games.
Understood, but he’s mostly been utilized as a physical pest in the playoffs that helps shut down lines instead of a point producer. Those types of players provide much more in the playoffs than what the stats say.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad