Weekes: Barbashev drawing lots of interest: Expected return is 1st or 2nd + prospect

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Another stat-watcher. The Blues’ key to the ‘18-19 playoffs was wearing down the other teams with physical play and relentless forechecking, and Barbashev was critical to that game plan.

Sure, that could be true. At the end of the day, though his highest P/GP in the playoffs is .25. In a year where he played a whole 4 games.

Expecting a 1st for that is...certainly a bold take.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's one thing to say he isn't worth a 1st it's another to call him worthless. If he was worthless other teams wouldn't be interested in him. Facts
Used car lot approach.

"This thing is a piece of shit and I shouldn't buy it...I'll give you $5000 for it".

"...Sir this is a Wendy's"

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I love this time of year. Fan bases getting annoyed cause other fan bases do not see players the same way they do

Or fan bases who may watch the opposing teams play 2x per year making statements about a player they know little about beyond what someone says on a forum.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I like the player but can you enlighten us about his playoff performance? The numbers are not great but any arm chair GM knows the numbers don't tell the full story.
62% of his playoff games came before 2020 when Barbashev was 23 or under and just breaking into the league mostly on the Blues 4th line. He was extremely effective in that role and has since demonstrated a relatively unique ability to contribute offensively when given more minutes in the top/middle 6 while continuing to bring a physical presence on the forecheck.

As far as his production since 2019, the Blues have honestly not been great as a whole in the playoffs during that time. 2 of the 4 series the Blues have been in were horrible team performances for different reasons (Covid bubble craziness in 2020 vs canucks + injuries & weird Covid season in 2021 vs avs).

He’s definitely still made an impact tho, just ask Girard

Yes, he did notch a whole 6 points in 25 games that year
As a 23 year old on the 4th line.

Sure, that could be true. At the end of the day, though his highest P/GP in the playoffs is .25. In a year where he played a whole 4 games.

Expecting a 1st for that is...certainly a bold take.
Watches stats —> confidently posts online opinions.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
What in the hell is this?

Does anyone know what Barbashev wants for an extension?
Rangers need to upgrade the 4th line and with the right upgrades can make a run at the Cup this year. Barbashev checks all the boxes. With this 2nd trade request I dont think Kravs value is anything close to what most Ranger fans think it is. You have to give to get. Barbashev is exactly what the Rangers need while not costing anything from the roster. As far as Barbashev's ask, who knows,with his brother being Ranger property he might come down just to stay and have a chance to play with little brother.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Rangers need to upgrade the 4th line and with the right upgrades can make a run at the Cup this year. Barbashev checks all the boxes. With this 2nd trade request I dont think Kravs value is anything close to what most Ranger fans think it is. You have to give to get. Barbashev is exactly what the Rangers need while not costing anything from the roster. As far as Barbashev's ask, who knows,with his brother being Ranger property he might come down just to stay and have a chance to play with little brother.
Rangers first will have to be 2024. The issue is Rangers next year have to sign:

Chytil
Laf
Miller

With an off chance of re-signing Tarasenko and Mikkola.

The Rangers have $15.5M for everyone.

Depending on what Barbashev wants, giving up a first for, as you say "4th line" upgrade is idiotic.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I think the ideal role for Barbashev is a support player on a middle six line. He can retrieve pucks, make good passes, and is a very good finisher around the net. Also brings the physical element others have talked about. Not a play driver himself but can play with skilled players. Good PKer as well.

Dec 15, 2002
Lehkonen's return last year - 2nd and a prospect - feels more accurate, and Lehkonen was still RFA at the end of the playoffs and seen as a more sure thing anchoring a line for a Cup contender, Barbashev is UFA, certainly not a top-6 guy and I don't know that he's a guy you drop on your Cup-contending 3rd line and walk away saying yep, I feel really good he's locked down that spot.

What have we learned over the years, though? All it takes is one GM, and that GM usually ends up being someone who talks themselves into being certain the guy is a fit and he ends up bidding against himself at the very end. It's possible someone ends up throwing a 1st for him, but if it happens I think it's highly likely most of HF looks back in the offseason and says wow, that was a bad move, congrats to the Blues for making out on that one.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad