Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Seems like all that's being discussed is how Bettman is the devil.

The bigger question is: What now?

The league proceeds with its plans involving soliciting bids to keep the team local and holds an auction at some future date.

Balsillie plays his song and dance for the media and gullible Canadians, but now the NHL pretty much ignores him.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
JB was marketing and selling tickets to a team he didn't own in a market that he had no right too. I've never seen anyone do that in the past.

It was without a doubt one of the most bizarrely counterproductive things I've ever seen in sports business. How naive was he?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Seems to me the Hamilton effort is not a lost cause.

Adding Vegas and Hamilton could be a realistic option. Hamilton fans need to get creative and show the NHL just how strong a force they can be as consumers (see the Hamilton Boycott thread for my idea on this)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The league proceeds with its plans involving soliciting bids to keep the team local and holds an auction at some future date.

Balsillie plays his song and dance for the media and gullible Canadians, but now the NHL pretty much ignores him.

Come on Ike, I take offense to the gullible Canadians part.
I don't think Bettman is anti-Canadian, more like pro-American.
You simplify the situation in Edmonton to the point making your admiration for Gary as silly as those that are making Jim a saviour.

Jim didn't do anything immoral, unethical or illegal in this situation.

While I'd love more teams in Canada, I'm glad the Judge made this ruling. I'd hate to think all an owner had to do was declare bankruptcy and someone comes along and buys the team and moves it to where ever they wanted.

Though I do understand an owner trying to minimize his losses in this way.
There is no way in the first auction in September that a bid will come in anywhere near 212.5 million.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

I did ask you before and and I will again.
"Crazy Ike what makes you think the western teams would be affected if another team came to Canada."

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The people here writing this off as over are being too simplistic.

It's far from over. The Yotes will be in KC within a few years, bought by someone else, unless the people of Phoenix step up and support the team at the box office.

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
In my mind, without question, Hamilton is the WORST possible spot for a second S. Ontario team.

Now that JB's bid to hijack PHX on his terms has been shot down, the SMART move is to add a 7th team in Canada ... and if it's to be done in S.Ontario ... move it into Toronto proper ..or Vaughn .. or somewhere that is 1) outside of Buffalo's territory and 2) more likely to have deep corporate support.

WHY on earth go to Hamilton when so many better GTE locations exist for a second club?

If nothing else, I do think JB has woken the sleeping giant to actually help land Canada a 7th teams. Be it Winnipeg or elsewhere in the GTE, I do think it will happen. But it shouldn't be in Hamilton. That's just a bad business move, IMO.

-t

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Balsillie-loses-bid-to-buy-Coyotes?urn=nhl,170412

Daly on the "next steps"
We're pleased the Court recognized the validity of League rules and our ability to apply them in a reasonable fashion. We will turn our attention now toward helping to facilitate an orderly sales process that will produce a local buyer who is committed to making the Coyotes' franchise viable and successful in the Phoenix/Glendale area. We are confident that we will be able to find such a buyer for the Coyotes and that the claims of legitimate creditors will be addressed.â€

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Rodier expands on the Fan590 tonight, relocation fee according to Raiders II- value of team in SO- value of team in Phoenix

McDonalds franchise agreement anology used- Rodier says can't compare because McDonald's not an monopoly, franchise agreement would be upheld.

Rodier says that NHL hockey in Ontario is unique product, states that when lockout occured attendance did not increase in Ontario for all other levels of hockey, ( OHL AHL, Senior A) , says Leafs could charge anything they want and attendance would not diminish, competition law states that a 5% price change that doesn't affect attendance is the test, market is insatiable for NHL hockey leading to monopoly.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Correct. He's not going to appeal the ruling, but it looks like he will be filing a new motion to buy and relocate the Coyotes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/balsillie-eyes-new-bid-for-coyotes/article1183954/

At this point, the court auction for the Coyotes will likely not happen until early September. That will involve only bidders who pledge to keep the team in Glendale. If none can be found, an auction will be held for buyers who will relocate the team after negotiating a relocation fee with the NHL.

That'll be the end of it. It'll never get to the relocation bids.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Come on Ike, I take offense to the gullible Canadians part.
I don't think Bettman is anti-Canadian, more like pro-American.
You simplify the situation in Edmonton to the point making your admiration for Gary as silly as those that are making Jim a saviour.

Jim didn't do anything immoral, unethical or illegal in this situation.

While I'd love more teams in Canada, I'm glad the Judge made this ruling. I'd hate to think all an owner had to do was declare bankruptcy and someone comes along and buys the team and moves it to where ever they wanted.

Though I do understand an owner trying to minimize his losses in this way.
There is no way in the first auction in September that a bid will come in anywhere near 212.5 million.

Why do people keep referencing a September auction?, the Judge has not accepted this time frame

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
In my mind, without question, Hamilton is the WORST possible spot for a second S. Ontario team.

Now that JB's bid to hijack PHX on his terms has been shot down, the SMART move is to add a 7th team in Canada ... and if it's to be done in S.Ontario ... move it into Toronto proper ..or Vaughn .. or somewhere that is 1) outside of Buffalo's territory and 2) more likely to have deep corporate support.

WHY on earth go to Hamilton when so many better GTE locations exist for a second club?

If nothing else, I do think JB has woken the sleeping giant to actually help land Canada a 7th teams. Be it Winnipeg or elsewhere in the GTE, I do think it will happen. But it shouldn't be in Hamilton. That's just a bad business move, IMO.

-t

Let's not make this a knock Hamilton thread. Hamilton is a fine town, with fine people. Unfortunately they, like many North American cities have fallen on hard times.
I really don't think a team in Hamilton will have much of a negative impact on Buffalo, and no way they impact the Leafs.
In fact, I think there would be an incredible rivalry with Buffalo.

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
Let's not make this a knock Hamilton thread. Hamilton is a fine town, with fine people. Unfortunately they, like many North American cities have fallen on hard times.
I really don't think a team in Hamilton will have much of a negative impact on Buffalo, and no way they impact the Leafs.
In fact, I think there would be an incredible rivalry with Buffalo.

I am in NO way knocking Hamilton as a town or a community. Look, Ventura, CA is a fine city ... but putting team there instead of Los Angeles would be a terrible business decision.

If you're going to put a second team in the GTE, wouldn't you maximize the actual location within that market? I'm just saying, from a long term business perspective, there are significantly better locations within the GTE for a second franchise.

The NHL now has the ability to explore those fully, rather than get shoehorned into the handpicked spot of JB's choosing.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
I think its been said that, if no one bids than there will be an auction open to relocation.

Someone in the 1st auction will bid just enough to cover the creditors. And it'll likely be a sweetheart of a deal. The League will be happy. Glendale will be happy. Coyotes fans will be happy.

But there will be no joy in steeltown, Mighty Balsie gets shutout.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Simple question:
What if in the next act of this theater in Phoenix, Balsillie by far puts in the best bid to buy the team?

And:
What role would the courts have handling such a situation as Balsillie putting in by far the highest bid?

And lastly:
The judge didn't agree with Balsillie's timetable; however, being that there still are creditors who are owed and waiting some kind of settlement on their behave, ... How long will the judge likely let this situation drag on? How much time will he allow the League to find buyers for the team, and thus pay the creditors? Getting the creditors paid, I think, is still the judge's first priority.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I am in NO way knocking Hamilton as a town or a community. Look, Ventura, CA is a fine city ... but putting team there instead of Los Angeles would be a terrible business decision.

If you're going to put a second team in the GTE, wouldn't you maximize the actual location within that market? I'm just saying, from a long term business perspective, there are significantly better locations within the GTE for a second franchise.

The NHL now has the ability to explore those fully, rather than get shoehorned into the handpicked spot of JB's choosing.

First off it's the GTA. Hamilton is not part of the GTA.
No other area in the GTA has an arena, other than Maple leaf Gardens which would require millions in upgrades.(and is way too close to the ACC)
Hamilton has an arena that requires upgrades but is a lot cheaper than building a new arena.
Though I can't guarantee it, I think Hamilton would sell out every game, with many left wanting tickets.
I'm actually one that believes that a team in Hamilton and another in the GTA would be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad