Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Campbell with only 2GA in his last 97 shots faced over three games.

I listened to most of last nights game on the radio. It sounded like he made a number of key saves that kept the lead for the Condors until they put it away.

What a few months away from Schwartz will do... I'm only half joking.

Maybe he just had the yips earlier and is now back to his actual abilities.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

I listened to most of last nights game on the radio. It sounded like he made a number of key saves that kept the lead for the Condors until they put it away.

But how is he technically? Did he relearn how to goalie or is he getting lucky or relying on athleticism?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I find myself wondering how much of an affect Rodrigues work with him has had.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Campbells last 3 games he has a .979 save % and a 0.66 GAA 3 wins

If you move it out to his last 6 he has a .966% with a 1.66 GAA 5 wins

If you take out his first month (8 games) he has a .952% 2.27 GAA 18GP 11 wins

His first 8 games were bad 0.887% and a 3.37 GAA 4 wins

Looks like Soup has settled in nicely in the AHL with a .952% in his last 18 GP

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Good, he can stay down there against inferior AHL competition.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

So do the Oil buy him out in the summer or give him 1 last shot?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So do the Oil buy him out in the summer or give him 1 last shot?

I mean you might want to give the guy a shot before committing to a (checks notes) six year buy out that is going to cost you $2+ million in dead cap the years in which Draisaitl + Bouchard and McDavid need contract extensions. That's not nothing money, if you could have brought him up and boosted his numbers in a small stint enough to trade him clear later on, you'd be stupid to not have even tried.

Either Pickard is a magical really good goalie that just got lost in the AHL somehow, or the Oilers defensive system under Knoblaugh is considerably better and makes goalies look better. Which of the two is more probable. If it's the latter, you'd be stupid to never have tried to boost Campbell's numbers and just taking a 6 year dead cap penalty over a 5 game sample size where the other goalie you're now praising had even worse numbers.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I mean you might want to give the guy a shot before committing to a (checks notes) six year buy out that is going to cost you $2+ million in dead cap the years in which Draisaitl + Bouchard and McDavid need contract extensions. That's not nothing money, if you could have brought him up and boosted his numbers in a small stint enough to trade him clear later on, you'd be stupid to not have even tried.

Either Pickard is a magical really good goalie that just got lost in the AHL somehow, or the Oilers defensive system under Knoblaugh is considerably better and makes goalies look better. Which of the two is more probable. If it's the latter, you'd be stupid to never have tried to boost Campbell's numbers and just taking a 6 year dead cap penalty over a 5 game sample size where the other goalie you're now praising had even worse numbers.
I agree with this completely.

It's unfortunate for Campbell that Pickard came up and played so well. Despite his bad start, Campbell generally looked better than Skinner from pre-season and into the season. Pickard played himself into a situation where he looked like a legit backup and would've been claimed on waivers

I'd give Campbell another shot for sure but at the same time, I'd want to sign Pickard and have them compete

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well that's the other can of worms, if we send Pickard down the AHL in order to give Campbell some games, does he have to go through waivers at this point?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes. And he may well get claimed.

Welp this is a fine little mess we've got ourselves in.

Because I think realistically if someone needs to go into a playoff game if Skinner has some issues, then it probably has to be Campbell, not Pickard. But you've also not played Campbell in an actual NHL game since like October.

I mean it's not as bad as just having all sucky goalies, like what was happening in October, but this is far from an ideal set up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Welp this is a fine little mess we've got ourselves in.

Because I think realistically if someone needs to go into a playoff game if Skinner has some issues, then it probably has to be Campbell, not Pickard. But you've also not played Campbell in an actual NHL game since like October.

I mean it's not as bad as just having all sucky goalies, like what was happening in October, but this is far from an ideal set up.
I don't see how it's a problem. Having three NHL caliber goalies on roster who are all playing well heading into the postseason is a good thing, is it not?

Campbell is a veteran starter. It's not like you'd be throwing an unproven player into the fire in the offchance that he's required to step in.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't see how it's a problem. Having three NHL caliber goalies on roster who are all playing well heading into the postseason is a good thing, is it not?

Campbell is a veteran starter. It's not like you'd be throwing an unproven player into the fire in the offchance that he's required to step in.

It's better than some alternatives yes, but the AHL is the AHL. Lets not get crazy.

The AHL doesn't do a good job of preparing someone to go into the net of a playoff intensity NHL game.

If he goes in with no regular season games he'll be playing his previous NHL action like October 2023 ... that's not exactly great. That's not really putting the player in the best position to succeed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Looks similar to Skinner's numbers and situation in the NHL this year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad