Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My point is pp time is wasted on him as he will never be a pp guy in the NHL. Got to set proper expectations for him.
Read the comments of the team's GM and Coach from the article I quoted from and linked to. That will help inform you about the philosophy that organizations take in nurturing prospect talent. It's in an organization's best interest to nurture and give rope to its prospects in development versus to stifle and place in a pre-determined box. In so doing both 'supervisors' are giving daily input and feedback to their prospects not some sort of vacuum with no corrective or nurturing work. Very strange impression you have.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Read the comments of the team's GM and Coach from the article I quoted from and linked to. That will help inform you about the philosophy that organizations take in nurturing prospect talent. It's in an organization's best interest to nurture and give rope to its prospects in development versus to stifle and place in a pre-determined box. In so doing both 'supervisors' are giving daily input and feedback to their prospects not some sort of vacuum with no corrective or nurturing work. Very strange impression you have.
They can't win. Apparently some prospects are given too much rope and others don't get nearly enough.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They can't win. Apparently some prospects are given too much rope and others don't get nearly enough.
I won't be surprised if Jeff Jackson looks at the organization's development practices including the Bako coach. But we look as outsiders at a 30,000 foot level without most of the important information with practices, locker room, coaching interactions, player attitude and work habits.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Brandonmobile

Nov 29, 2023
There’s something definitely wrong with how they do things in Bakersfield, honestly they have a team to win jt all but we are just fighting for a playoff spot. And for broberg I would disagree he has a place on that power play unit over denen, with the oilers too he should be playing on a power play line but the oilers dont know how to use their prospevgs

Reactions: McTonyBrar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There’s something definitely wrong with how they do things in Bakersfield, honestly they have a team to win jt all but we are just fighting for a playoff spot. And for broberg I would disagree he has a place on that power play unit over denen, with the oilers too he should be playing on a power play line but the oilers dont know how to use their prospevgs
Win it all? We have one of the worse prospect pools in the league, no one is thinking we are winning it all in the AHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think players like Lavoie, Holloway, and Broberg will be full time players with the Oilers next season due to the cap situation.
Meh you could bring in depth guys if you wanted for similar dollars.

However, like this year I suspect they will be given their shot at making the club early on and if they fail we will go back to whatever vet depth we have and then make additions at the deadline again.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Meh you could bring in depth guys if you wanted for similar dollars.

However, like this year I suspect they will be given their shot at making the club early on and if they fail we will go back to whatever vet depth we have and then make additions at the deadline again.

Lavoie only had half a year of AHL success when he was waived going into this year, but I don't see you sneaking Broberg or Holloway through waivers next year.

It's not like Holloway's play warranted a demotion. It's just having him on the farm is the best way to maximize depth. It's the same reason why Campbell and Broberg are still on the farm.

I mean, could Broberg do Kulak's job? Probably. In any other year the Oil would have made a move to save the cap space.
But you know what's better? Having 2 guys you can trust to play 3rd pairing minutes, instead of having to rely on a career minor leaguer in Ben Gleason to be your #3LD if an injury hit.

Injuries (will) happen, and it looks like the Oil actually have better depth this year to weather it.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Soup is hottt

His numbers are actually near level with Rodrigue (.917 vs .915), and he has been by far the better goalie since the start of 2024. Frankly he's been one of, if not the best goalie in the AHL over that period.

Another couple weeks and the Oil will actually have the cap space to carry both him and Pickard on a 23 man roster. They have a 22 man roster with a little over a million in accrued cap space (pro-rated to 1,060,252 per CapFriendly), that continues to go up even after the TDL. So another 200k in space and Campbell can be called up.

The Oil also already have the space to call up any skater currently in Bakersfield. So perhaps Lavoie and Broberg will get a look (which their play has earned) down the stretch too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd love to see Holloway and Lavoie playing together down there. Then call them up together or at least have them gain some chemistry in case both are on the team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad