Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

tempest186

Jan 5, 2006
I don’t think there’s anyway he comes up prior to the playoffs because they would have to waive at least a couple of others to make room

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t think there’s anyway he comes up prior to the playoffs because they would have to waive at least a couple of others to make room
I could be wrong, but I believe the closer we get to the season end the less of a cap hit he'd have. Say we give him the last start of the season for instance.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I could be wrong, but I believe the closer we get to the season end the less of a cap hit he'd have. Say we give him the last start of the season for instance.

I think something like that is a safe bet.

I don't believe there's a roster size limit after the TDL (and judging by the fact NJ has 26(!) active skaters on the NHL roster atm and lots are at 24, I'm pretty confident in that).

Assuming the Oil aren't in a massive battle for home ice, I'd expect to see Campbell, Broberg, Holloway, and Lavoie all see the ice for the Oil during the final week.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think something like that is a safe bet.

I don't believe there's a roster size limit after the TDL (and judging by the fact NJ has 26(!) active skaters on the NHL roster atm and lots are at 24, I'm pretty confident in that).

Assuming the Oil aren't in a massive battle for home ice, I'd expect to see Campbell, Broberg, Holloway, and Lavoie all see the ice for the Oil during the final week.
Theres still a salary cap they have to follow.

They cant call all those players up.

You're also only allowed a limited number of recalls post deadline I believe.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

If it's game 81 or 82 the salary cap isn't going to change much. For example, bringing Campbell up at game 75 and keeping him up until the end of the season would have a bigger impact on the cap than calling up the 3 of Campbell, Lavoie, and Broberg for the last 2 games.

Though you are right that there is a limited # of recalls allowed (3 I think?)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Yup. We don’t have many/any guys we can send down that won’t have to clear waivers, rather not lose somebody going into the playoffs just to get a few Bake guys some shifts up here.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The X-man with only 17 points on the season? This one really surprises me.

When I watched him during the Memorial Cup he looked like a natural goal scorer and he was a threat every time he stepped on the ice.

I guess the old hockey expression "doesn't translate well to the pro game" applies but still its a real surprise to me.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The X-man with only 17 points on the season? This one really surprises me.

When I watched him during the Memorial Cup he looked like a natural goal scorer and he was a threat every time he stepped on the ice.

I guess the old hockey expression "doesn't translate well to the pro game" applies but still its a real surprise to me.
Can't say I've watched him much except for highlites, and with someone at that skill level, the highlites are usually going to look pretty good. Yes, certainly disappointed with the season he's had. Had a rough one last year with injuries and such, but thought he'd take it to another level this season. Hopefully he can take any lessons he's learned this year and come back next year with much better results.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Can't say I've watched him much except for highlites, and with someone at that skill level, the highlites are usually going to look pretty good. Yes, certainly disappointed with the season he's had. Had a rough one last year with injuries and such, but thought he'd take it to another level this season. Hopefully he can take any lessons he's learned this year and come back next year with much better results.
Yes he's still a very young player and there's time to rebound.

When I watched him in the junior leagues (and the Memorial Cup where he played against elite talent) I thought he had great ability when it came to anticipating the play and positioning himself in front of the net.

Of course, at the pro level defenses are much tighter and D-men know where you are likely to position yourself but I can certainly understand (based on what I observed) why the Oilers were high on him.

Let's hope he breaks out next year because with the exception of Lavoie I can't see anybody on the farm who looks ready to take a roster spot away from some of the older players who are close to the end of their careers. Eventually you have to insert some younger wheels into the lineup.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
At least the Condors are scoring. Campbell gets a 29 save shutout, Condors win 4-0.

Holloway's back from injury and gets the tip on this Wanner shot. Holloway would get an assist on the Kemp ENG as well.

Edmonton's next 7th round RHD gets his goal.

Pedersen with a shorthanded beaut.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
At least the Condors are scoring. Campbell gets a 29 save shutout, Condors win 4-0.

Holloway's back from injury and gets the tip on this Wanner shot. Holloway would get an assist on the Kemp ENG as well.

Edmonton's next 7th round RHD gets his goal.

Pedersen with a shorthanded beaut.

The old look at this, look at that

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
8GP 4G 4A 8P so far after Holloway got sent down.
Still think he should be a regular on the Oilers. From what I heard, he's just too good to be playing in the AHL. It's too bad they think giving him less than 10 mins TOI in the NHL on a 4th line is gonna have him successfully produce offensively.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
8GP 4G 4A 8P so far after Holloway got sent down.
Still think he should be a regular on the Oilers. From what I heard, he's just too good to be playing in the AHL. It's too bad they think giving him less than 10 mins TOI in the NHL on a 4th line is gonna have him successfully produce offensively.
Lots of guys who are too good for the AHL but still not good enough for the NHL.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Campbell is going to get the Brown treatment WHEN he is called up .. ie standing ovation after his first win and becoming a fan fav.

I can see it. If someone had said back at Christmas that Campbell would be rocking a .920 on the season by St. Patrick's Day they would have been laughed out of the room.

He was pushed into a hole after the Oil's s**t start and only dug himself deeper with his play during his first few weeks; but the dude deserves all the credit for managing to work his way out of it.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Lots of guys who are too good for the AHL but still not good enough for the NHL.

He has NHL speed at least. At worst, he is a bottom 6 player. Not ideal, for a player picked in the top half of the first round.

Maybe Stuaffer was right with his Marty Reasoner comparison haha

I was excited about the Holloway pick back in 2020. I believe he still has the potential to put it all together and become a useful player for us.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jack Campbell now rocking a .920 SV%, which puts him tied for 5th best in the AHL. Rodrigue has a .918, which puts him tied for 9th. With Skinner and Pickard playing really well, goaltending is a strength right now in the organization.
If goaltending was a strength in our organization, Campbell wouldn't be playing in the minors.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can see it. If someone had said back at Christmas that Campbell would be rocking a .920 on the season by St. Patrick's Day they would have been laughed out of the room.

He was pushed into a hole after the Oil's s**t start and only dug himself deeper with his play during his first few weeks; but the dude deserves all the credit for managing to work his way out of it.
Great news. Hopefully that makes it easier to move him this summer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has NHL speed at least. At worst, he is a bottom 6 player. Not ideal, for a player picked in the top half of the first round.

Maybe Stuaffer was right with his Marty Reasoner comparison haha

I was excited about the Holloway pick back in 2020. I believe he still has the potential to put it all together and become a useful player for us.
He does have NHL speed. But at the moment when in the NHL his passing, hockey iq and skill seems non existent.
Broberg and Holloway both have a similar issue where they excel in the AHL due to their speed and then struggle in the NHL cause it’s a much faster league.
Maybe more NHL time would help but both look worse the more they played.
I think they should stay in the AHL at least till their season is done

Reactions: oil Leaks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If goaltending was a strength in our organization, Campbell wouldn't be playing in the minors.
Our team defense was league worst before Knoby showed up. So in theory Campbell could be as good as Skinner and Pickard in NHL giving us 4 good goalies.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Our team defense was league worst before Knoby showed up. So in theory Campbell could be as good as Skinner and Pickard in NHL giving us 4 good goalies.
IIRC he had better stats than Skinner did when he was sent down. Our team defense was ass and Holland tried to send a message by sending him down. Campbell then played poorly at first but has come on strong ever since. Hill was Vegas' #3 or #4 and took them to the cup. Maybe Campbell rises from the ashes and does the same for us? If he does, Hyman better write a book about it! :lol:

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
IIRC he had better stats than Skinner did when he was sent down. Our team defense was ass and Holland tried to send a message by sending him down. Campbell then played poorly at first but has come on strong ever since. Hill was Vegas' #3 or #4 and took them to the cup. Maybe Campbell rises from the ashes and does the same for us? If he does, Hyman better write a book about it! :lol:
For the kiddies. "Uncle Jack comes to Town."

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He does have NHL speed. But at the moment when in the NHL his passing, hockey iq and skill seems non existent.
Broberg and Holloway both have a similar issue where they excel in the AHL due to their speed and then struggle in the NHL cause it’s a much faster league.
Maybe more NHL time would help but both look worse the more they played.
I think they should stay in the AHL at least till their season is done

When he's gotten playing time with someone who possesses actual offensive IQ (be it Gags or Perry), he's looked fine.

He has the same problem as McLeod and Foegele, two other guys that can go 20+ games without a point when left to their own devices playing with Janmark, Ryan, and Brown in the bottom 6. The major difference between them is that Foegele and McLeod have gotten the chance to spend a decent bit of time with Drai on the 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad