Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '21-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If you’re comparing Samorukov and Niemelainen you have to consider where Niemelainen was at this point last year. When you consider where they were both at 5 years post draft it’s pretty clear that Samorukov has been ahead at every stage; from making his u20 team twice versus Niemo never making it, two solid season in the AHL along with a very impressive season back home on one of the top KHL team. Niemo took a huge step this year which is great for him and great for the team, but I’d still argue that Samorukov is the better prospect. If the two of them are even remotely close in camp it’s a no brainer to make the move that guarantees both of them stay in the system and continue to develop. Broberg is a completely different story as well, he’s not a guy you want in that 6/7 role in and out of the lineup. He’s either firmly in the top 6 or playing top pair in Bakersfield. I expect all three of them to get playing time next year no matter what and then they’ll be able to decide what to do based on a much better sample size.

Judging Samorukov based on two shifts is incredibly short sighted.
At this point, it's all we have, fair or not. Will need to see lot more. And as Bryan mentioned, Nemo brings things to the table that Samo does not, and those are things that this team badly needs based on their current offerings. Sometimes it can just come down to the fit for the team, which makes other talent trade chips for other needs,

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Injuries are so bad the Condors are using Schaller as a D... lol.

Holloway is a beaut. He's a McLeod-Hyman hybrid. I still want a full year in the AHL for him (maybe a brief callup next season though).

Looks like Broberg didn't make it back in time and Desharnais out. I like me some versatile forwards that can play defense, but yeah lets not make a habit of that.

What kinda lines are they running? From the scoresheet I see they started Holloway - Malone - Kambietz

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers should claim Nic Petan so he can't play against the Condors in playoffs

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Skinner with yet another strong outing to close out the year. Now that his season is done, thought it would be interesting to compare him with some recent/current NHL starters and how they did in the A during their D+5:

Skinner- 35 GP, 22-7-5 2.21 GAA, 0.920 Sv%
-----------------------------------------------------
Binnington- 41 GP, 17-18-5, 2.85 GAA, 0.907 Sv%
Husso- 38 GP, 15-14-0, 2.42 GAA, 0.922 Sv%
Markstrom- 33 GP, 16-15-2, 2.65 GAA, 0.920 Sv%
Hellebuyck- 30 GP, 13-15-1, 2.49 GAA, 0.922 Sv%
Holtby- 25 GP, 12-12-1, 2.14 GAA, 0.932 Sv%
Demko- 16 GP, 8-6-0, 2.58 GAA, 0.911 Sv%
Gibson- 13 GP, 7-4-1, 2.63 GAA, 0.917 Sv%

Is that, uh, optimism I feel about one of our goalies? What a strange sensation. :oops:

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Skinner with yet another strong outing to close out the year. Now that his season is done, thought it would be interesting to compare him with some recent/current NHL starters and how they did in the A during their D+5:

Is that, uh, optimism I feel about one of our goalies? What a strange sensation. :oops:
Unless we trade him for a legit number 1 goalie, Holland better reserve a spot for him on the team next year. He should play at least 1/4 of the games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

He's more than ready for full time NHL action. Not ideal but I'm ok with a Skinner/Smith tandem next season. Bring in some defensive help to help ease his transition and hopefully by the end of the season, we'll know what we have in Skinner for better or worse. Either way, it's time to give him a real shot to earn his place.

I wouldn't say now or never but, yeah, it's approaching that time with Skinner now that he isn't waiver exempt anymore. His Bakersfield career should be over after this playoff run.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's more than ready for full time NHL action. Not ideal but I'm ok with a Skinner/Smith tandem next season. Bring in some defensive help to help ease his transition and hopefully by the end of the season, we'll know what we have in Skinner for better or worse. Either way, it's time to give him a real shot to earn his place.

I wouldn't say now or never but, yeah, it's approaching that time with Skinner now that he isn't waiver exempt anymore. His Bakersfield career should be over after this playoff run.
If both Smith and Skinner continue their fine play and have good solid playoffs, I can see the team going with that tandem. But Smith has to promise not to get injured so much.;)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Cap wise this is what the Oilers are forced to field for goaltending next year. Its terrible but with luck Smith is healthy and more like second half Smith rather than first.

I am holding off on any real expectations for Skinner but he certainly has the potential to become a starter some day. Just so hard to pencil him in for such with any certainty or timeline.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
3 stars were ridiiculous. Holloway was easily the best player in the game.
Yep, easily.

Holloway should be playing for the Oilers right now. It's wild how good his physical tools are. If the excuse for bringing Archibald in works, well Holloway does everything he does but better.

I am hoping he gets a call up, especially with the next two games being in LA.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep, easily.

Holloway should be playing for the Oilers right now. It's wild how good his physical tools are. If the excuse for bringing Archibald in works, well Holloway does everything he does but better.

I am hoping he gets a call up, especially with the next two games being in LA.
He won't. If he was going to play in the playoffs, they would have tried him out during the regular season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Exactly. Holloway will get his shot in training camp. The only way he gets a call up is if the Oilers go on a deep run and suffer massive injuries.
He was hurt again and only returned for the last couple of games. If the Oilers get behind and are looking for more offense they should call him up. He is probably decent enough defensively to not hurt a scoring line there unless the other forwards are weak defensively.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad