Broberg - Berglund

Skinner

Reactions: Giggleplex

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Savoie was quiet. Game was a snooze

He was on unit 2 PP. Overall not much to report. He'll need to get his feet wet

I continue to believe we have a legit piece in Desharnais. He keeps getting better
Desharnais was solid, good stick, he’s huge, he skates, his positioning was really good too.

Savoie didn’t seem to get many shifts. Penalty on his first shift, felt bad for him on that one. He had a good chance in the 3rd, but didn’t really get a chance to shoot much, he needs someone getting him the puck a bit more.

That was probably the chippiest game I’ve ever seen though, so many errant passes, blown tires.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Desharnais was solid, good stick, he’s huge, he skates, his positioning was really good too.

Savoie didn’t seem to get many shifts. Penalty on his first shift, felt bad for him on that one. He had a good chance in the 3rd, but didn’t really get a chance to shoot much, he needs someone getting him the puck a bit more.

That was probably the chippiest game I’ve ever seen though, so many errant passes, blown tires.

I think they just wanted to get him in a game, but he's not gonna get much done with Brosseau and Esposito. I'm not gonna question Chaulk, he seems like a great replacement for Jay. I think their thought process was let him get a feel for the game with two guys that will make sure no one take liberties with him. It's also important to understand that while we all want Savoie playing top line top PP, he's joining this team with (as of yesterday) two games left in the regular season. They are 100% focused on the playoffs and winning with their team by this point. Let him feel the AHL game, have a great offseason and come back with some idea of the AHL level. Maybe as the playoffs progress he can see some increase in his role. He may be too good not to... the Condors have some slick passers. He'd really fit with Cooper or Benny.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looking at the AHL team so far, forward prospects seemed to struggle this year.

Defence prospects seemed to shine, Desharnais excelled defensively, Broberg offensively. Our prospects that seems to really show up were the defenders overall.

Skinner was good in net down on the farm, outside of that, our goaltending this year was in shambles. Rodrigue is trending into the long list of bust goalies we have drafted the last decade, Konovalov gets a bit of a pass cause it’s his first year here but he wasn’t good. Fanti only played the one game.

I could maybe see one or two of Nemo, Broberg, Desharnais starting the season the team as a 6/7 guy and Skinner on the main club. Don’t think any of the forwards are ready but some will start to get call ups.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Defence prospects seemed to shine, Desharnais excelled defensively, Broberg offensively. Our prospects that seems to really show up were the defenders overall.

Skinner was good in net down on the farm, outside of that, our goaltending this year was in shambles. Rodrigue is trending into the long list of bust goalies we have drafted the last decade, Konovalov gets a bit of a pass cause it’s his first year here but he wasn’t good. Fanti only played the one game.

I could maybe see one or two of Nemo, Broberg, Desharnais starting the season the team as a 6/7 guy and Skinner on the main club. Don’t think any of the forwards are ready but some will start to get call ups.
Samorukov likely has the inside track on being the 6/7 guy next year since he won’t be waiver exempt anymore whereas the other three will still be. Management won’t risk losing him on waivers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Samorukov likely has the inside track on being the 6/7 guy next year since he won’t be waiver exempt anymore whereas the other three will still be. Management won’t risk losing him on waivers.
What has he done to be kept over Niemelainen? I'd rather see Broberg and Niemelainen on our club next season unless Samorukov has a massive offseason and comes back a lot better player.

Reactions: LaGu and Stoneman89

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
What has he done to be kept over Niemelainen? I'd rather see Broberg and Niemelainen on our club next season unless Samorukov has a massive offseason and comes back a lot better player.
Samo had a massive second half before his injury. Btge contract they gave shows he will get every opportunity to be the #6/7 defenceman in Edmontin next year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Samo had a massive second half before his injury. Btge contract they gave shows he will get every opportunity to be the #6/7 defenceman in Edmontin next year.
Hopefully he earns it and doesn’t just get it cause he has to pass through waivers.

If it’s close between those 3 or 4 guys, definitely have samorukov up, but if it’s not, either send him down and risk it, or trade him

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Not a big surprise on the forwards, other than Holloway. We've focused on mostly dmen for our high draft picks a few years ago, and it's only now that a few of the most recent ones are shining in junior and college. I think in 2-3 years, we are going to be forward talent heavy on the farm.

Not too concerned about the goalies, None of them other than Skinner may turn out, it's true. But history shows they always take a lot longer to ripen than any other types.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not keeping guy over better prospects because of the potential to lose him in waivers. Based on what I saw of their play this year at the NHL level, Nemo has a way better shot at sticking with the big club than Samo.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is soon to be 23 years old, has had a bunch of injuries the last couple of seasons. He had 1-5-6 -3 in his first 25gp. 2-10-12 +19 in his last 26gp. That is very good, however hardly earth shattering for a soon to be 23 year old. Niemelainen is a tank and a mobile tank at that. Yes he doesn't have the same offensive upside that Samorukov does, but he adds the same physical element that Samorukov was supposed to, except better. I stand by my point that Broberg and/or Niemelainen makes the Oilers over Samorukov next season and that Samo starts the season in the minors or more likely is traded this summer.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He is soon to be 23 years old, has had a bunch of injuries the last couple of seasons. He had 1-5-6 -3 in his first 25gp. 2-10-12 +19 in his last 26gp. That is very good, however hardly earth shattering for a soon to be 23 year old. Niemelainen is a tank and a mobile tank at that. Yes he doesn't have the same offensive upside that Samorukov does, but he adds the same physical element that Samorukov was supposed to, except better. I stand by my point that Broberg and/or Niemelainen makes the Oilers over Samorukov next season and that Samo starts the season in the minors or more likely is traded this summer.
If you’re comparing Samorukov and Niemelainen you have to consider where Niemelainen was at this point last year. When you consider where they were both at 5 years post draft it’s pretty clear that Samorukov has been ahead at every stage; from making his u20 team twice versus Niemo never making it, two solid season in the AHL along with a very impressive season back home on one of the top KHL team. Niemo took a huge step this year which is great for him and great for the team, but I’d still argue that Samorukov is the better prospect. If the two of them are even remotely close in camp it’s a no brainer to make the move that guarantees both of them stay in the system and continue to develop. Broberg is a completely different story as well, he’s not a guy you want in that 6/7 role in and out of the lineup. He’s either firmly in the top 6 or playing top pair in Bakersfield. I expect all three of them to get playing time next year no matter what and then they’ll be able to decide what to do based on a much better sample size.
I'm not keeping guy over better prospects because of the potential to lose him in waivers. Based on what I saw of their play this year at the NHL level, Nemo has a way better shot at sticking with the big club than Samo.
Judging Samorukov based on two shifts is incredibly short sighted.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you’re comparing Samorukov and Niemelainen you have to consider where Niemelainen was at this point last year. When you consider where they were both at 5 years post draft it’s pretty clear that Samorukov has been ahead at every stage; from making his u20 team twice versus Niemo never making it, two solid season in the AHL along with a very impressive season back home on one of the top KHL team. Niemo took a huge step this year which is great for him and great for the team, but I’d still argue that Samorukov is the better prospect. If the two of them are even remotely close in camp it’s a no brainer to make the move that guarantees both of them stay in the system and continue to develop. Broberg is a completely different story as well, he’s not a guy you want in that 6/7 role in and out of the lineup. He’s either firmly in the top 6 or playing top pair in Bakersfield. I expect all three of them to get playing time next year no matter what and then they’ll be able to decide what to do based on a much better sample size.

Judging Samorukov based on two shifts is incredibly short sighted.
After you are drafted it all comes down to results. Samorukov is a year younger but for the reasons that you've mentioned he probably has more trade value than Niemelainen does. That said, I don't see Samorukov adding the same element that Niemelainen does, nor do I see him adding the same element that Broberg does. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Broberg being broken in on the 3rd pairing next season. I also feel like there's a good chance that we bring Kulak back next season. Samorukov is in tough, hopefully he had a big offseason of training and comes in and claims a spot in camp, I'm just not expecting it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
After you are drafted it all comes down to results. Samorukov is a year younger but for the reasons that you've mentioned he probably has more trade value than Niemelainen does. That said, I don't see Samorukov adding the same element that Niemelainen does, nor do I see him adding the same element that Broberg does. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Broberg being broken in on the 3rd pairing next season. I also feel like there's a good chance that we bring Kulak back next season. Samorukov is in tough, hopefully he had a big offseason of training and comes in and claims a spot in camp, I'm just not expecting it.
This is how I see it. Which is why I'm completely fine with how the defense looks heading into next season. No Barrie trade, no moving prospects out at their lowest value. Give Samorukov, Niemelainen and Broberg the opportunity to earn their spot.

I agree you re-sign Kulak if you can. Fill that KRussell void and set the bar for the prospects.

If Samorukov or Niemelainen are going to flame out as prospects, it's better it happens with a good body of work to analyze. And no better time to play that out than a full 82 game season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad