Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Good to see Yamamoto putting up points.
My question, is he looking any stronger and faster?
His time in the NHL was pretty weak as he simply got overpowered or skated so he could never get into scoring spots.
Has that improved at all?

His skill looks better sure.
But nothing in his game that was a flaw in his NHL game has changed. Woo a small skilled guy succeeding in the AHL, maybe he can ask Omark for pointers.

Which is it, I'm confused?

Are you poster A, who hasn't seen him play and needs others posters to scout and detail his play? Or are you poster B who apparently watching enough to say what he has and hasn't fixed?

Oct 15, 2008

Are you poster A, who hasn't seen him play and needs others posters to scout and detail his play? Or are you poster B who apparently watching enough to say what he has and hasn't fixed?
giphy.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I haven't seen it. Wondering if others are seeing the same thing or they just excited about him doing things he normally does.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I haven't seen his game improve. I've watched the games. I'm wondering if people have actually see his game improve or are just going woo goals.

Wasn’t one of your criticism’s a few posts up that he got overpowered or that “he skated so he could never get into scoring spots?”

If he has 4 goals through 4 games or whatever it is, doesn’t that kind of answer your own question?

If he was skating himself into non scoring spots before and didn’t score, but is scoring now, then how is he doing so?

I’m confused. The obvious answer seems to be he’s maturing as a player and knows where to be on the ice as part of that maturation process.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
In my opinion, Yamamoto isn't much better than he was in his NHL stint. I know Cyclone Sweep is implying he wasn't good, but in fact he was fairly good in the NHL. Maybe not quite ready to jump in and play top 6, but he wasn't out of his depth. His brain, and his legs are good enough for the NHL right now, and they were back then too. It's not his fault the environment was a losing environment.

Yamamoto has a clear path to success. Just a little more strength, and a little more assertiveness in the offensive zone, and he'll be our TyJo.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wasn’t one of your criticism’s a few posts up that he got overpowered or that “he skated so he could never get into scoring spots?”

If he has 4 goals through 4 games or whatever it is, doesn’t that kind of answer your own question?

If he was skating himself into non scoring spots before and didn’t score, but is scoring now, then how is he doing so?

I’m confused. The obvious answer seems to be he’s maturing as a player and knows where to be on the ice as part of that maturation process.
I guess the better question is, do others see it a maturation that could actually work in the big leagues or is he simply succeeding because it's lesser competition. Is he getting into those spots simply from being smarter than the average AHL guy? Or is he getting into those spots by force?

I see it as him just being a super smart player however, because he is 100lb soaking wet that won't cut it in the NHL alone.

So when others are saying he is earning himself a call up, that's crazy talk as his biggest flaws the last 2 years have yet to improve.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In my opinion, Yamamoto isn't much better than he was in his NHL stint. I know Cyclone Sweep is implying he wasn't good, but in fact he was fairly good in the NHL. Maybe not quite ready to jump in and play top 6, but he wasn't out of his depth. His brain, and his legs are good enough for the NHL right now, and they were back then too. It's not his fault the environment was a losing environment.

Yamamoto has a clear path to success. Just a little more strength, and a little more assertiveness in the offensive zone, and he'll be our TyJo.
In his short NHL stint last year he was weak on the puck, lost a lot of board battles and was terrible defensively because he just got constantly man handled and produced next to nothing offensively.

Kid did work his ass off but work ethic only goes so far at that size

Edit: TyJo has one major thing on Yamamoto, size. Same height but TyJo is a larger build, has what 25+ lbs on him? That muscle mass alone helps in strides.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I guess the better question is, do others see it a maturation that could actually work in the big leagues or is he simply succeeding because it's lesser competition. Is he getting into those spots simply from being smarter than the average AHL guy? Or is he getting into those spots by force?

I see it as him just being a super smart player however, because he is 100lb soaking wet that won't cut it in the NHL alone.

So when others are saying he is earning himself a call up, that's crazy talk as his biggest flaws the last 2 years have yet to improve.
How do you expect him to get a lot stronger? While we’re at it, let’s have him grow to 6’1 so he can put on 30 pounds.

Reactions: KYams17

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Okay well that’s a different question.

I mean, arguably wouldn’t your rephrased question apply to all AHLers who take a step up in their play? I would think it does, and it’s a valid point.

Realistically, wouldn’t that be a good thing if Yamo has developed the ability to read and outsmart his AHL competition? Shows growth and hockey IQ (it’s not like he’s ever going to be physically superior to the majority of players). Gives cause for optimism not concern, the greater concern would be if Yamo was unable to figure out how to “outsmart” the lesser competition.

This all seems super obvious to me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How do you expect him to get a lot stronger? While we’re at it, let’s have him grow to 6’1 so he can put on 30 pounds.
He needs to get stronger or he won't be an NHL player, it's simple as that. Or he needs to completely reinvent himself

Small guys to succeed in the NHL need to be small and stocky (Gallagher) or very elusive (Gaudreau). Yamamoto doesn't have the strength or weight to be a Gallagher or the elusiveness of a Gaudreau. So for him to succeed in the NHL, he needs to hit the St Louis style gym and get them muscles. Or he needs to reinvent his game and because a much quicker skater.
Without that, even with all the skill in the world he wont find success at the NHL level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay well that’s a different question.

I mean, arguably wouldn’t your rephrased question apply to all AHLers who take a step up in their play? I would think it does, and it’s a valid point.

Realistically, wouldn’t that be a good thing if Yamo has developed the ability to read and outsmart his AHL competition? Shows growth and hockey IQ (it’s not like he’s ever going to be physically superior to the majority of players). Gives cause for optimism not concern, the greater concern would be if Yamo was unable to figure out how to “outsmart” the lesser competition.

This all seems super obvious to me.
It's different for a guy like Yamamoto because he is simply tiny. 5'9" (maybe in skates) and 150lbs gets crushed in the NHL. The league has much less time and space and you need to be able to physically create it. You can't do that with your iq alone. It's what has held back guys like Yamamoto in the past. Ie Omark and Omark was much more skilled.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's different for a guy like Yamamoto because he is simply tiny. 5'9" (maybe in skates) and 150lbs gets crushed in the NHL. The league has much less time and space and you need to be able to physically create it. You can't do that with your iq alone. It's what has held back guys like Yamamoto in the past. Ie Omark and Omark was much more skilled.

Generally that’s true. It’s a mans league where time and space are limited.

However “physically” creating space doesn’t just involve straight ahead crashing and banging for space (see Gaudreau, Marner, Kane, etc). A player can use their vision and passing to create space.

Now of course Yamamoto is unlikely to ever be at their level but it’s not his size alone that will be the sole reason. I’m not even super high on Yamo as a prospect, but some of what you’re saying is just confusing.

Are you expecting to see him play a power forward type game in the AHL?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
In his short NHL stint last year he was weak on the puck, lost a lot of board battles and was terrible defensively because he just got constantly man handled and produced next to nothing offensively.

Kid did work his ass off but work ethic only goes so far at that size

Edit: TyJo has one major thing on Yamamoto, size. Same height but TyJo is a larger build, has what 25+ lbs on him? That muscle mass alone helps in strides.

The Oilers on a whole lost puck battles. Guys way bigger than Yamamoto would spend all game just waving their sticks around then going for line changes. Yamamoto wasn't the issue, he just happened to be a guy they could send away. If you go back and iso him, he always had a very good stick, and was able to leverage the puck away from bigger players often. The problem was that effort was usually all for not. The team was disconnected. They might still be.

I'm not saying he never lost a battle, or that he doesn't need to improve his strength. I agree with you on your assessment that his success is largely because he's too good for most AHL players, and the NHL will require more physical maturity. But I think the characterization that he was awful, weak, and terrible in the NHL is a lazy one. He did some good things at the NHL level. I don't think he's very far from sticking.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO the league is getting less and less physical so Yamamoto may still be a player yet. However he needs to learn how to get into the right areas at the right time, etc. and he apparently is doing so. If I were Yamamoto I'd keep working on my speed, agility and core strength as those are the things that can help him overcome the size disparity more than adding mass and getting slower.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I haven't seen his game improve. I've watched the games. I'm wondering if people have actually see his game improve or are just going woo goals.

You're not watching the games obviously.
His game has definitely improved. He's skating with purpose, making plays all over the ice, showing off that shot he had in junior which has been missing in his pro career thus far. He's definitely a more confident player this year, trusting his skill.
Woodcroft called him their best player through 5 games and I agree. The one issue is that he tends to fall a bit too much, needs to get a bit stronger on his skates.
Don't patronize people with the "woo goals" comment if you're misinformed.

Same goes for the Broberg is Benning-lite comment that you made because you look at a box score of him playing 3rd pairing minutes as an 18 year old and assume that he's a disappointment. Don't make sweeping generalizations if you don't watch.

Sorry for being harsh but enough is enough with these takes. You do this a lot.
Bring something constructive to the table. You're capable of it.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
His game has definitely improved. He's skating with purpose, making plays all over the ice, showing off that shot he had in junior which has been missing in his pro career thus far. He's definitely a more confident player this year, trusting his skill.
Woodcroft called him their best player through 5 games and I agree. The one issue is that he tends to fall a bit too much, needs to get a bit stronger on his skates.

Same goes for the Broberg is Benning-lite comment that you made because you look at a box score of him playing 3rd pairing minutes as an 18 year old and assume that he's a disappointment. Don't make sweeping generalizations if you don't watch.

I haven’t watched a single game of KY or Broberg this year but I’m going to have to disagree with you. Can anyone backup that I’m right?

Reactions: ImmuneEH

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I haven’t watched a single game of KY or Broberg this year but I’m going to have to disagree with you. Can anyone backup that I’m right?

Nope. I've only watched highlights of KYams and heard reports, but from that he's looked really good. His shot has also impressed me a lot so far. I can see him getting called up midway through the year.

I have watched a fair bit of Broberg though, and I've actually liked what I've seen. In terms of stats, he's on pace for 2 less points than Erik Karlsson would have gotten over 82 games in the SHL, and more than John Klingberg. You can tell that he's raw and needs work, although he has shown a good shot, speed, and some improving offensive zone play. He's also starting to use his body a bit. (He kind of manhandled Pulju a bit yesterday in the CHL lol).

I'm excited for both of them, and very pleased with Yams bounce-back start to the season.

Edit: If you're joking (involving a certain poster), then my bad lol.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for having an actually rebuttal and not just saying that I'm wrong.

Like I said before the skill was always there but the other aspects of his game need to come in strides. I too noticed him falling way to much still which was a huge reason he struggled in his NHL time and why he needs to build strength. Really hard to stay effective on the ice if you are spending a lot of it on your backside.

I never said he wasn't playing well or looking good, just that his overall he is no different really than it was before (yes he is more confident and is shot is looking a bit better) and the faults holding him back from being an NHL player are still there.

Didn't mean to patronize people with the woo goals comment but I've seen it a ton. He has scored a bunch or goals and people are clamoring for him to be thrown into the lineup for it when he is absolutely not ready for it.

Yamamoto I have watched.

Broberg I have seen highlights of and a couple full games this year. He has shown a couple flashes but hasn't shown enough to be played more than his peers and defensively has been pretty bad. For being on the third pairing he has been on the ice for more goals than you want to see which again is why I have said that if he makes the bigs he is still a long while away. His defensive game imo is worse than Bouchard's when he was drafted and his offensive game is lightyears behind. That said I think the SHL will be good for him because it's a league where him relying just on his skating doesn't fly and he is learning that the hard way. Playing in the OHL would of been horrible for his development

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest even in his NHL stints Yamamoto easily could have had a couple extra goals.

He got overly excited as a young kid and blew a couple of empty net setups from Maroon and McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad