Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '19-20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is the right move imo. As a pair, I thought they looked pretty good in pre-season.
  • Pair Lagesson & Bouchard for as long as reasonably possible (if there isn't much chem there, split them obviously)
  • Offload Benning at the deadline (I think we can get a 3rd rounder for him), run with Larsson, Bear, and Persson as your RD depth. Offload Russell (with a little cap retained if necessary) in the off-season. If you disagree with selling Benning at the deadline, can we agree that it'd be better to let him walk into UFA to make room for prospects that will be ineligible for waivers next season?
  • Next season Jones, Bear, Persson, and Lagesson will be eligible for waivers.
Nurse/Larsson
Klefbomb/Bear
?/Persson
?

The remaining two spots on D (assuming we run with 7D) will be contested by Jones, Lagesson, and Bouchard. I think Lagesson/Bouchard could be a fine 3rd pairing, and if you play them a lot together sooner rather than later, all the better.
I would put Klefbom and Larsson together and Nurse and Bear.

Nurse and Larsson suck together.

Reactions: McFlyingV and TB12

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Nurse and Klefbom are benefiting from being on more aggressive pairings. When they end up with Larsson and/or Russell (or Benning), team's know to key in on them.

Thus I'd rather not break those up. Personally I'd take the same approach as what SJ did with Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson last year.

Karlsson and Burns had "weaker" partners, but it didn't hurt, as those two drove the play so well. That left Vlasic and Braun as a shutdown duo that could draw tough matchups.

For me, the obvious answer is to make a Russell-Larsson pairing.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Larsson might just permasuck. Hope not. Too my eye he could turn into the Lucic of our defense. Obsolete. Younger skilled guys take his job.

I don't hate Larsson, I just think the remaining term of his contract is fortunate for us. With him gone I worry about the PK a bit. I don't think our RD depth will be Bear, Persson, Bouchard, but having two of those players just dramatically improves how fast we transition.

Besides having a lot of NHL experience, I think the negatives outweigh the positives as a whole.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It’s becoming clear there is a logjam at D and I feel Jones and Lagesson will be shipped out or waived because of waiver eligibility. I’d hate to lose Lagesson.
Jones needs to have a breakout year this season.

One of Russell and Benning are probably gone in the off-season. Maybe Larsson even. Depends on Persson and how quickly Bouchard can improve his D game which I doubt will be ready for next season (I feel he should spend two years in the A). Still a full season to evaluate what we have.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It’s becoming clear there is a logjam at D and I feel Jones and Lagesson will be shipped out or waived because of waiver eligibility. I’d hate to lose Lagesson.

One of Russell and Benning are probably gone in the off-season. Maybe Larsson even. Depends on Persson and how quickly Bouchard can improve his D game which I doubt will be ready for next season (I feel he should spend two years in the A). Still a full season to evaluate what we have.

I think both Russell and Benning will be gone next season. It's going to be really interesting to see how the defense shapes up next year, there's lots of options and a real competition for spots. It's really hard to predict who will play where. Only pairing that seems obvious at the moment is Nurse-Bear. Outside of that I have no idea.

Klefbom-Persson/Larsson/Bouchard
Nurse-Bear
Lagesson/Jones-Persson/Bouchard

You could also potentially run Larsson on the bottom pair on his offside with Persson. Even if they're both right-shots I think they'd complement each other's games nicely. But yeah, so much competition, which is nice to see. Both Samorukov and Broberg could be making a case for a spot as well, although I think Broberg will be in the AHL and Samorukov will likely need more time + he won't be waiver eligible so Lagesson and Jones should be getting preference unless they both suck in camp.

But based on experience I guess the logical solution would be:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Lagesson/Jones-Persson

But if Bouchard looks great in camp (and has a great AHL season behind him) it's going to be hard to deny him a spot.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I wouldn't mind trying Jones or Lagesson as a forward if it means they don't need to be waived. Don't want to see one of these guys we have drafted and developed go onto another team and they reap the rewards.

Looking pretty far into the future, but I hope Holland and Co think about it.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wouldn't mind trying Jones or Lagesson as a forward if it means they don't need to be waived. Don't want to see one of these guys we have drafted and developed go onto another team and they reap the rewards.

Looking pretty far into the future, but I hope Holland and Co think about it.
Worst case we can keep 8 defensemen on the roster to start the year. No chance we'd give one of those guys away on waivers. This year will go a long way in deciding who should stay, and I bet we see a couple trades before the start of next year involving some of our young D who lose waiver eligibility next year.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Worst case we can keep 8 defensemen on the roster to start the year. No chance we'd give one of those guys away on waivers. This year will go a long way in deciding who should stay, and I bet we see a couple trades before the start of next year involving some of our young D who lose waiver eligibility next year.

I should have specified forcing a trade as well. If we aren't getting an equivalent forward, I'm not moving them. I don't think it would hurt either of them playing forward.

Maybe because I'm watching baseball and seeing all these super utility guys on the teams.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I think both Russell and Benning will be gone next season. It's going to be really interesting to see how the defense shapes up next year, there's lots of options and a real competition for spots. It's really hard to predict who will play where. Only pairing that seems obvious at the moment is Nurse-Bear. Outside of that I have no idea.

Klefbom-Persson/Larsson/Bouchard
Nurse-Bear
Lagesson/Jones-Persson/Bouchard

You could also potentially run Larsson on the bottom pair on his offside with Persson. Even if they're both right-shots I think they'd complement each other's games nicely. But yeah, so much competition, which is nice to see. Both Samorukov and Broberg could be making a case for a spot as well, although I think Broberg will be in the AHL and Samorukov will likely need more time + he won't be waiver eligible so Lagesson and Jones should be getting preference unless they both suck in camp.

But based on experience I guess the logical solution would be:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Lagesson/Jones-Persson

But if Bouchard looks great in camp (and has a great AHL season behind him) it's going to be hard to deny him a spot.

It seems that prior to camp, Jones was unanimously regarded as the leading prospect among Bear and Lagesson. After camp, it seems that he's behind the latter two. In his NHL stint, I thought he showed some promise.

Here's an idea: If Klefbomb/Larsson turns out to be a lackluster pairing, try Larsson on the bottom pairing with Jones. Jones is a mobile 2-way LD, I think it's something that could work (this assumes Jones progresses as a prospect).

Nurse/Bear
Klefbomb/(Bouchard or Persson)
Jones/Larsson

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Condors already played Logan Day I think as forward. Same with Joey Leggiga before. Jones and Lagesson would make for okay forwards... they can skate but are not offensively gifted. Jones’ defensively play is still suspect so I think he might pass through waivers.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Condors already played Logan Day I think as forward. Same with Joey Leggiga before. Jones and Lagesson would make for okay forwards... they can skate but are not offensively gifted. Jones’ defensively play is still suspect so I think he might pass through waivers.

Jones and Lagesson should definitely not be coverted to forwards. And they would definitely get claimed off of waivers IMO.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Are you kidding? There's not a chance that Jones passes through waivers, it's crazy to even suggest that.
Just like Bear last season, people are giving up on Jones way too soon based on one poor preseason, a preseason in which he played with no high quality D partners.
The Oilers don't need to trade any of these guys right now. Let it play out and see who rises up.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Jones and Lagesson should definitely not be coverted to forwards. And they would definitely get claimed off of waivers IMO.

I think it would be pretty smart to have a utility guy on the roster who can play forward and d. It didnt hurt burns, and it possibly made him better when he made the switch. How often does a dman go down during the game and you end up running a couple guys into the ground trying to cover his minutes ?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Are you kidding? There's not a chance that Jones passes through waivers, it's crazy to even suggest that.
Just like Bear last season, people are giving up on Jones way too soon based on one poor preseason, a preseason in which he played with no high quality D partners.
The Oilers don't need to trade any of these guys right now. Let it play out and see who rises up.

Next season when Jones doesn't make the team? I can see him pass waivers... lots of teams have bubble players and no spots. That's why I've said Jones need to improve his defensive play this season and force himself onto the team next season. I'm not judging Jones by the preseason. I still not a fan of his in the AHL. He's barely better than Keegan Lowe.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think it would be pretty smart to have a utility guy on the roster who can play forward and d. It didnt hurt burns, and it possibly made him better when he made the switch. How often does a dman go down during the game and you end up running a couple guys into the ground trying to cover his minutes ?

Neither Jones nor Lagesson are dynamic enough offensively. Day maybe... just like Laleggia. Am I suggesting - absolutely not. Bakerfield only does it because they have too many D.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Neither Jones nor Lagesson are dynamic enough offensively. Day maybe... just like Laleggia. Am I suggesting - absolutely not. Bakerfield only does it because they have too many D.

I don't really think that's an issue for them anymore with Kulevich and Desharnais playing regular minutes.

I'd say they actually look pretty thin on D right now without Bear and Day,

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Next season when Jones doesn't make the team? I can see him pass waivers... lots of teams have bubble players and no spots. That's why I've said Jones need to improve his defensive play this season and force himself onto the team next season. I'm not judging Jones by the preseason. I still not a fan of his in the AHL. He's barely better than Keegan Lowe.

I guarantee that Jones has value around the league. He had a big season as a prominent AHL Dman (arguably the best Dman on an elite AHL team) and didn't look out of place in the NHL at age 21 so unless his play plummets this season, I'd be shocked if he didn't have some trade value.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't really think that's an issue for them anymore with Kulevich and Desharnais playing regular minutes.

I'd say they actually look pretty thin on D right now without Bear and Day,

With Lagesson down there it seems okay. Day is on some Season Opening IR and once he returns along with waiving Manning after Larsson heals... it will be full again.

BakersfieldCondors.com | Roster

I think Jones and Lowe are the top pair. The rest I don’t remember.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I guarantee that Jones has value around the league. He had a big season as a prominent AHL Dman (arguably the best Dman on an elite AHL team) and didn't look out of place in the NHL at age 21 so unless his play plummets this season, I'd be shocked if he didn't have some trade value.

This season yes. Next season if he doesn’t make the club... not much.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Lagesson down there it seems okay. Day is on some Season Opening IR and once he returns along with waiving Manning after Larsson heals... it will be full again.

BakersfieldCondors.com | Roster

I think Jones and Lowe are the top pair. The rest I don’t remember.

I wouldn't say full is a bad thing though.

I don't think Kulevich or Desharnais are guys who shouldn't be in the ECHL. so it isn't a big deal if one slides to #7(or rotates with Manning) and the other ends up there.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Lagesson could be a guy who you keep as a #7 next year. He is such a solid defender that you can plug him in the third pairing and he would be fine. Plus he will be cheap because he does not have a lot of offense in his game.

Jones is a guy that probably has some value. If he isn't going to make the team perhaps add him in with JP. But things can change.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Does anyone have AHL TV? And is it worth it?

I might get it to watch the Condors play today.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Does anyone have AHL TV? And is it worth it?

I might get it to watch the Condors play today.

Got it for the first time last year and I think it's the best value for streaming hockey you can get. The quality of the feeds is finally good enough, the quality of hockey is excellent, and the price is awesome. You can buy just Condors games, or you can get the all access pass. All access is great, I appreciated watching tons of non-Condors games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad