Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I am going to say Sparks even though he isn't an official backup yet.

He put up decent numbers a few years ago in spot starts when the Leafs were in a total throw away season and has only increased his performances since then. Best goalie in the AHL last year and has had a good camp so far for the Leafs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koskinen isn't that good. I watched him play a number of times with SKA. No mobility and gives up a lot of soft goals.

He was the second best goalie on his KHL team for two years.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Mikko Koskinen should be able to challenge Talbot for the starting position.
He had an OKAY game last night but he had an AHL team in front of him and Winnipeg had 3/4 of their regular lineup in. To be honest, he looks like Gustavsson did when he came here. Hopefully it's just speed and size adjustment that he can work out before the end of camp because otherwise the Oil are doomed if Talbot poops the bed again.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
To add to this, Karri Ramo when he came back over had nearly as good stats over the three years before coming back and better numbers overall over that three year span than Koskinen has had in the past three. And Ramo while good, was a 1A/1B guy depending on the day.

So while Koskinen absolutely could become a full time starter, I'd like to see how it plays out over time.
I'll defend Ramo and Ortio here. They played on a terrible team with a terrible D. Everyone raves about how great those years of Calgary D were but statistically they really sucked and it showed in how they kept killing every goalie that came in. Smith has been the only exception and Johnson for a short while. Their D is much better this year but the other guys are not getting any better, they are getting older. I say SLIGHT improvement for Calgary D by the numbers. I know you'll all think I'm an idiot but I don't really care. It's easily the most over-rated D in the league and I like the additions but the other guys are that were becoming suspect like Giordano are still there. Yes Giordano. Watch him for 20 games. He's starting to show his age big time.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Koskinen isn't that good. I watched him play a number of times with SKA. No mobility and gives up a lot of soft goals.

He was the second best goalie on his KHL team for two years.
That's exactly how he's looked so far in camp. I hated this signing by Chia. Go get a real guy like Khudobin. It's not like it costs a lot to get them.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
What's up with people naming Korpisalo? A .905 and an .897 the last two seasons. Is it because he was a med-elite on NHL 18 because I don't get it.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I don’t think Sparks has looked very good this preseason for Toronto. Potentially he’s a slow starter but that doesn’t bode well for you when you need to battle for a spot on the team.

Pickard has looked better than Sparks, but McHilhenney has been better than both. I hope they don’t keep him over both Pickard and Sparks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad