Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Just look up the 24-26 year-old goalies with a few solid AHL-seasons and ~30 games in NHL. It's hard to tell really. For all I know, Jack Campbell could be the next starter among the current backups. Most of the promising goalies are in the juniors, minors or already 1B's for their teams. I believe that Pickard and Saros could start 40-50 games in a weaker team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like we're in a bit of a lull for serious prospective starters currently toiling as backups at the moment. Just doesn't seem like there's a big stockpile right now, but there does seem to be a strong wave of top tier goaltending prospects at lower levels working their way up right now.

There's Grubauer who seems primed to at least start to find out if he can carry a load. Saros has looked bright as a backup, but i always worry about those smaller goaltenders when it comes to the consistency of 60+ games a year as a starter because the off nights can be really off.

I think Keith Kinkaid deserves at least a mention, as he did shoulder a significant load in NJ last year pretty well, but he's not exactly a "young" guy anymore and doesn't exactly scream star potential. He looks potentially "ready" to be at least a fringe starter somewhere, if he weren't locked up in NJ. Maybe he ends up a sort of Cam Talbot story?

Beyond that though, i think we're kinda just in a holding pattern...waiting for some of these top shelf goaltending prospects to make the jump to the NHL. In a couple years, we could have a serious influx of up and coming potential starting goaltenders taking over spots and/or blocked behind guys that make them available for other teams to snatch away. They've all got plenty of development to do to actually get there in the meantime though.

Reactions: Vujtek

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Koskinen is good. He was one of the better keepers in KHL and started for SKA Petersburg, a team that usually is proud to have a lot of top tier Russian players. He played 15 games in the playoffs with 1.65 gaa and .935 save-%. He is good.
Still not the NHL. Will backup and nothing more unless Talbot gets injured.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
This is a hard one.

In reality, there are probably a couple different goalies who if given the chance could perform as good/if not better than some starters in the league. The problem is guys who haven't performed yet have essentially no leash in net while the guy who has does have one (rightfully so). There just isn't enough net to go around.

For example, I think both Sparks and Pickard could perform to the same level as some lower NHL starters. Pickard has basically already done this and last year was outperformed by Sparks.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Sorry, “not good” wasn’t a fair thing to say. Koski is obviously a good goalie but I personally don’t see him being good enough for the nhl. At best he’s a backup. Goalie stats in the K always look stellar.
Koskinen is good. He was one of the better keepers in KHL and started for SKA Petersburg, a team that usually is proud to have a lot of top tier Russian players. He played 15 games in the playoffs with 1.65 gaa and .935 save-%. He is good.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Demko for the Nucks, but I don't think he match your thread as its whether starter for Vancouver or starter for Utica.

Koskinen looks to me like the new Anders Nilsson, very hyped after some good numbers in Europe, but nothing special. Size matters but speed matter more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad