Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You don’t really believe that do you? Samsonov was a god in the KHL and now he is barely able to make a save in the AHL...
You don't really believe you know a thing about the KHL, do you? Specifically after your ignorant statement about Samsonov.

You'll have to live with what people who do know the KHL tell you about it. There are 10+ goaltenders in the KHL same or better than Koskinen. It's just a fact of life.

But you can tell me a good story about Carter Hart in the AHL to be sure. At least that would concern you directly as a Flyers fan. Just a couple of months ago I was told here he was the best goaltender outside the NHL. It's either I am right and you should not read too much into bare AHL stats of goalies(especially first year ones) or the Flyers' future hope in goal is in big trouble.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I've been a bit underwhelmed by his performance this year, after last year. We are talking about the same team where Pekka Rinne has posted:

11-4-0-1

And Juuse has:

7-4-0-0
I think this speaks more to how good Rinne has been than Saros. Outside of his 4 losses (SJ, EDM,@ StL @sj) where he gave up 5 goals each, Saros has been very capable. He’s given up 32 goals all season and over half of them in those 4 games, so stats are skewed. Without those games his GAA falls to 1.71 Most starters can statically make up a bad game over time but a backup can’t. When he has a bad game it’s really bad and most teams could live with 2 or 3 bad games a month from a starter. Also note he is only 23.

And when compared to other starters he’s been better than some. I am sure several fans would rather have him over their starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: mackelroy

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think this speaks more to how good Rinne has been than Saros. Outside of his 4 losses (SJ, EDM,@ StL @sj) where he gave up 5 goals each, Saros has been very capable. He’s given up 32 goals all season and over half of them in those 4 games, so stats are skewed. Without those games his GAA falls to 1.71 Most starters can statically make up a bad game over time but a backup can’t. When he has a bad game it’s really bad and most teams could live with 2 or 3 bad games a month from a starter. Also note he is only 23.

And when compared to other starters he’s been better than some. I am sure several fans would rather have him over their starter.

After Rinne got injured Saros started 5 consecutive games in 11 days with .941 EVsv%. Something happened to him after this short starter workload. In his next 3 starts Saros had .824 EVsv%. Now Rinne had to play 10 consecutive games in 19 days which isn't good.
It seems the 5 games starter workload wasn't good for Saros. Where is Saros now, it seems he can't even do his backup duties. Sure it's not easy to swallow 5 consecutive games in October. What happened to him?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It's easy if you don't have to play for a month at the start of the season. Since this is Edmonton Koskinen will fall down.

As we saw last night, if McDavid is out for any length of time, not even he can bail the team out.

Losing 1-4 more often than not will get into the head of a goalie.

He's been the main reason Hitch has a winning record mind you......but it's been some pretty hard hockey to watch.

But, you play the hand you're dealt.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
You'll have to live with what people who do know the KHL tell you about it. There are 10+ goaltenders in the KHL same or better than Koskinen. It's just a fact of life.
You are seriously underestimating Koskinen at this point. He was easily a top5 goalie playing in Europe, some could argue he was the best.

2x KHL champ, 14-15 KHL best goalie, KHL playoffs 2016 best svs%, KHL playoffs 2017 best gaa, 2016 world championship best goalie + all star team.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Didn't see him mentioned but Ullmark on Buffalo has been slow cooking for a long time. Hutton is signed to a short contract because it is expected Ullmark will start to take over. He has a small sample size but this season so far he is 5-0-2 with a .927 sv%. Last year in the AHL he was 21-12-10 with a .922

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Khudobin has played well with Bishop being out lately as well as half of our defense injured.

Yeah but Bishop has been good too. Bishop is still the number 1 but its makes it easier to rest him when your backup is also doing well.

Wonder what a team desperate for goaltending would give up for a guy playing well though ? Not that i would take the risk as Dallas.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Definitely, I wouldn’t either. Khudobin has been a solid back-up and we’ve got to keep him because of what we saw last season. I could see some teams calling Nill though with interest.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
At the end of the season I imagine this being Laurent Brossoit, Jets are re-developing him well. What he needed help with was to get comfortable in the NHL.

Reactions: 1OApick

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

You mean if you take away his bad games he look's good? I think that can be said for every goalie.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
You mean if you take away his bad games he look's good? I think that can be said for every goalie.
True but starters can bury thier bad games by offsetting them with good games.
Saros is 7-4 and all 4 losses were awful games.
His 7 wins he has a 1.91 GAA.
I am sure most teams would take 7 games under 2 goals and 4 bad games from any starter. Through 22 games he would be 14-8
Halfway through the season he would be 28-16. Who would not want a 50 game winner as a starter?
Yeah those stinker games were bad but given he only has 11 games it doubles his GAA. Over time he would lower that by the fact the greater performances would lower his GAA.
I am just noting the fallacy of claiming Saros has not been impressive this season by looking at his stats.

Also I am noting the remarkable season Pekka Rinne is have because, despite playing in 8 more games than Saros, Rinne has given up only one more goal, and that is with a rash of injuries to the team.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
It certainly did not. Good for Koskinen, kinda defied the odds on this one. Most goalies in the K have gaudy numbers, nice to see it translate for once after many have flamed out or have been backups at best like Anders Nilsson.
This post didn't age well.

Reactions: McCombo

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Good for Koskinen, kinda defied the odds on this one. Most goalies in the K have gaudy numbers, nice to see it translate for once after many have flamed out

It's easy if you don't have to play at the start of the season and get some babysitting.
In the last 4 weeks Koskinen has .923 EVsv% in the games he started, Jake Allen has .941

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
More than likely not for anyone. He has his second career year as a backup in the NHL and all the sudden theres the idea he can be a starter on another team...what?

He has a solid record as a back-up this season, he had good minor league number until he was playing for Edmonton, I don't know if you watch the Jets but if you do you can clearly see he's going up the right path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad