Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Koskinen is good. He was one of the better keepers in KHL and started for SKA Petersburg, a team that usually is proud to have a lot of top tier Russian players. He played 15 games in the playoffs with 1.65 gaa and .935 save-%. He is good.

Sorry, “not good” wasn’t a fair thing to say. Koski is obviously a good goalie but I personally don’t see him being good enough for the nhl. At best he’s a backup. Goalie stats in the K always look stellar.

To add to this, Karri Ramo when he came back over had nearly as good stats over the three years before coming back and better numbers overall over that three year span than Koskinen has had in the past three. And Ramo while good, was a 1A/1B guy depending on the day.

So while Koskinen absolutely could become a full time starter, I'd like to see how it plays out over time.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Aaron Dell could possibly become a low end starter if he was put into the right situation imo

But with Jones being the starter for the foreseeable future I don’t think he’ll get that shot with the Sharks

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Aaron Dell could possibly become a low end starter if he was put into the right situation imo

But with Jones being the starter for the foreseeable future I don’t think he’ll get that shot with the Sharks

Dell is a great backup, but his performance last year when Jones got injured suggests otherwise. He faded pretty significantly under a work load.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Based on what? Show me 10 KHL goalies with better resumes than Koskinen. At least provide some facts, if you are making statements like that.

His stats:

Mikko Koskinen at eliteprospects.com
The most important fact is that I do follow the league closely. Do you?

If you are basing your opinion on stats only you won't get far here if you don't factor in the teams the goaltenders play on. From a career bulding perspective Koskinen did everything right. Sign with a powerhouse like SKA, get some boosted stats, try to get a job in the NHL with that resume. You want a comparable?

Meet Anders Nilsson:
Anders Nilsson at eliteprospects.com

Same strategy. Pretty close talentwise. Do you see his NHL numbers? Maybe the most important number is his contract. He's got himself a 2.5 Mil contract. so his strategy worked at least on the financial side. He is probably earning more than in the KHL even less taxes even if he couldn't get a starter job.

Now to the list(goaltenders who were in the KHL last season just like Koskinen):

Shestyorkin (See? Stats aren't everything as that is something everyone watching the KHL would tell you - Shestyorkin over Koskinen.)
Sorokin
Francouz (Btw it will be a good comparisonas they both try to make a living in the NHL as of now)
Koshechkin
Zapolski
Furch
Kareyev
Kovar
Samsonov
Metsola
Shikin
Bobkov
Salak
Galimov
Hudacek
Stepanek

The list is that long because of Koskinen. Those are goaltenders who are approximately in the same tier as Koskinen or better. Put any one of them on SKA and they'd put up similar or better numbers. If you asked for a list of goaltenders who I'd expect to earn a starter job in the NHL it would be a much shorter list.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Keith Kinkaid put together a very strong second half of last season before struggling in the playoffs.

He will be starter on opening day due to Cory Schneider still rehabbing his injury. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to evolve into a starter.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Koskinen

If it was a sure thing the Oilers wouldn't have signed him for only $2.5M
If he was garbage the Oilers wouldn't have signed him at all

Clearly he warrants a shot in the NHL. We can argue about it, but like any backup he's got to be ready when given the right opportunities. I personally think the variability in overall Oiler performance and specific Talbot performance over the last 3 seasons warrants a vote for Koskinen ITT.

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
Are we counting goalies that are being given the chance already but the results are still pending? Because if so, then Carter Hutton.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
What about the Flyers goalies? They have Elliot and Neuvrith who are both arguably 1B goalies and will surely start in the NHL. But they have Alex Lyon, Carter Hart, and Anthony Stolarz who all look to have a future in the NHL.
With Neuvrith and Elliot both on the last year of their deals theres a chance, albeit small, we see one of Hart or Stolarz in the starters crease next season. Crazier things have happened.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Keith Kinkaid was a starter. even in the playoffs. But wont due to Cory. He deserves a chance on a good team. But a solid backup goalie is needed, i say pay him to take 20-30 games, instead of trading

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad