Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Mikko Koskinen should be able to challenge Talbot for the starting position.
Not sure. I have an impression that he is very streaky, based on what I have seen of him in our national team. One day he shuts out Canada and USA with ease, the next day he lets in 4-5 goals against Latvia. And when the games start to matter, he is not so reliable like in less important games. Must be a mental thing for him.

What's up with people naming Korpisalo? A .905 and an .897 the last two seasons. Is it because he was a med-elite on NHL 18 because I don't get it.
Well, we are talking about a team where Bobrovsky posted .882 and .900 in the postseason in the same timespan. If a Vezina winner has that kind of a performance, it likely means the defense in Columbus sucks. There's not a goalie in the world that can post great personal statistics in that situation.

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Koskinen isn't that good. I watched him play a number of times with SKA. No mobility and gives up a lot of soft goals.
He was the second best goalie on his KHL team for two years.

You must be new here.

It's December and he's 8-2 with 2SO and a .928. 10-3 in the NHL. We all know the Oilers are pretty much garbage defensively, so I'd love to hear from the pundits.

gene-wilder.jpg

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I have been really impressed with the Kings Cal Petersen. He is extremely athletic and seems to do well under pressure. I'm intrigued to see if he can take over for Quick in a few years.

McEhinney and Greiss have done very well thus far into the season, and have covered nicely for Mrazek and Lehner. Both are getting up there in age, but look like they can be starters short term.

Dell and Rittich could potentially also do well, given a full season as a #1.

Reactions: Bleedred

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Next ones im really looking forward to seeing are Samsonov, Sorokin and Shestyorkin. Hope they all reach their potential.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's December and he's 8-2 with 2SO and a .928. 10-3 in the NHL. We all know the Oilers are pretty much garbage defensively, so I'd love to hear from the pundits.

gene-wilder.jpg
He is proving my point well. 10+ goaltenders from the KHL could be NHL starters. Nothing to see here.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Theres still plenty of time for koskinens confidence to get crushed and for him to flop hard... he is an oiler after all. Very soon to be coming into a beginning of season thread and thumping your chest but oil gonna oil.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think Saros is a starter already in a non playoff team.
I've been a bit underwhelmed by his performance this year, after last year. We are talking about the same team where Pekka Rinne has posted:

11-4-0-1

And Juuse has:

7-4-0-0

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Goalies are so incredibly fickle to judge...especially the more unproven ones. Heck even star goalies go through incredible fluctuations season by season so unless you are Lundqvist, Rinne, Gibson etc it’s just hard to gauge. Holtby can go from one of the lowest SV%s in the league to Stanley Cuo hero. Cal Petersen can come out of nowhere and dominate. A nagging injury can put a young Cup winner like Matt Murray’s future in doubt. Aaron Dell can consitantly outplay Martin Jones for two seasons and still not get a chance to be starter. Top prospects can go from mediocre AHL stats to entrenched NHL starter in a mere season...or fade into oblivion. Semyon Varlamov goes from amazing Vezina finalist to incredibly mediocre and inconsistent to looking like a star again who the Avs must resign at all costs. We will probably resign him and he’ll promptly lose his job to Grubauer or Francousz...lol.

The futures market in goalies is such a crapshoot.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Highly unlikely. Koskinen is not good.

They can compete to see who can let in goals the fastest at the start of periods.

Still not the NHL. Will backup and nothing more unless Talbot gets injured.

Sorry, “not good” wasn’t a fair thing to say. Koski is obviously a good goalie but I personally don’t see him being good enough for the nhl. At best he’s a backup. Goalie stats in the K always look stellar.

If that is the case some ten goaltenders from the KHL can be NHL starters.

Koskinen isn't that good. I watched him play a number of times with SKA. No mobility and gives up a lot of soft goals.

He was the second best goalie on his KHL team for two years.

That's exactly how he's looked so far in camp. I hated this signing by Chia. Go get a real guy like Khudobin. It's not like it costs a lot to get them.

Yeah some of these posts didn't age that well.

Although Koskinen has been good and way better than Talbot and he has shown he can play in NHL, I still wanna see that he can maintain this level.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah some of these posts didn't age that well.

Although Koskinen has been good and way better than Talbot and he has shown he can play in NHL, I still wanna see that he can maintain this level.
Someone has a lot of time on his hands...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad