Backup Goalie Solution

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For people suggesting that PIT might trade DeSmith to us with retention (if he clears) remember that he has 3 years left on his contract. Currently 3 years at 1.25M. That means they'd have to use a retention spot for the next 3 years to do this.

A move like that might be super attractive for Toronto, because they can get a player locked in for less than the league minimum. Awesome for a team in perpetual cap crunch.

But it makes it far, far less apealing for PIT. Teams only get 3 retention spots, and they probably only have a few years left in the Crosby/Malkin window. So would they be willing to use up a retention spot and kill some cap space, in some crucial years, just to get something insignificant from us? I doubt it.

If we were to get DeSmith from PIT, he has to clear waivers first, then it would take a decent enough pick/prospect to motivate the Pens. It's not going to be a 6th rounder or DerArguchintsev.

They'd be lucky to get SDA even if they retained 50%.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
One of Forsberg, DeSmith or Comrie should give us some added insurance should Freddy go down.

As much as it sucks to roll with Hutch, I think that's what we are going to have to do. At least to start the year. He makes sense on the cap, and unlike claiming Comrie (who has 2 years on his deal), we don't have to worry about taking up our last contract spot either.

Even Forsberg at 775k is too pricey unless we don't want Liljegren or Sandin here past Dermott/Hyman coming back.

One unseen caveat though: If DeSmith is claimed by an interested party, their incumbent could be an option for the Leafs. Almost any incumbent would likely be an upgrade on Hutch, but it's a matter of the $$.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why is everyone so convinced that Hutchinson can't do the job? I think some of the media people who put this bug in the ear of Leafs' fans are Jets' fans. He's perfectly fine. Stable personality, calm performer, similar style to Andersen, been a starter before so could handle consecutive games if Andersen is injured.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This could change but as I don't see them having any choice but to sign Freddie

Why do you think this?
2 young goalies in the wings developing
Other FA goalies 2021/22:
Binningham
Mrazek
Dubnyk
Renne
Grubauer
Raanta
Rittich
Jake Allen

Pick another if you like

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Speaking of goalies, who should be our starter the first 3 games?

We play 3 in 4 vs Ottawa, then Columbus and a rested Montreal Sat nite.

I'm thinking Freddie should play vs Ott and then the end of the back to back against Montreal.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think a trade is more likely once the season starts. Maybe a swap of #3 goalies in the event Hutchinson falters.

Would mean having to make room by moving Kaskisuo, but perhaps he goes in any deal anyways. I think they'll want Woll to get some games and have Scott play in the ECHL.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This could change but as I don't see them having any choice but to sign Freddie
I'm not a fan of paying Freddie $8M+ going into his mid-late 30's. You hope you develop one, but if not you have to trade for a cost effective option and move on.

I would be okay however with extending Freddie but then trading him at the draft before the extension kicks in. Pull a Jeff Carter. It's ruthless but would allow us to restock a bunch of assets

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not a fan of paying Freddie $8M+ going into his mid-late 30's. You hope you develop one, but if not you have to trade for a cost effective option and move on.

I would be okay however with extending Freddie but then trading him at the draft before the extension kicks in. Pull a Jeff Carter. It's ruthless but would allow us to restock a bunch of assets

It is about time the Leafs developed a home grown goalie and not traded him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

This team is in win NOW mode they aren't restocking assets this isn't 2015

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This team is in win NOW mode they aren't restocking assets this isn't 2015
We can't afford him and it isn't smart to pay a goalie in his 30's big money long term. This is two years away anyways, a lot can happen in that time and if we have too we can trade for another goalie in the same situation that Freddie was.

Reactions: stickty111

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We can't afford him and it isn't smart to pay a goalie in his 30's big money long term. This is two years away anyways, a lot can happen in that time and if we have too we can trade for another goalie in the same situation that Freddie was.

We don't know that we can't afford him that US TV deal is comingg in 2 years, expansion money, gambling money, A LOT of money.

As for paying Freddie in his 30's fact is goalies last longer than other players.

Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Lou etc have all proven it.

Rinne is doin it now.

The list is endless

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
We don't know that we can't afford him that US TV deal is comingg in 2 years, expansion money, gambling money, A LOT of money.

As for paying Freddie in his 30's fact is goalies last longer than other players.

Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Lou etc have all proven it.

Rinne is doin it now.

The list is endless

Well I mean the guys you've listed were all absolutely elite in their primes so I wouldn't expect Freddy to age quite like them

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Why is everyone so convinced that Hutchinson can't do the job? I think some of the media people who put this bug in the ear of Leafs' fans are Jets' fans. He's perfectly fine. Stable personality, calm performer, similar style to Andersen, been a starter before so could handle consecutive games if Andersen is injured.
I’m a Jets fan who thought Hutch got a raw deal here.
He will he good for you guys book it.
Comrie plain sucks at the NHL level stay away.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Goalie evaluation clearly not a strong suit of the current regime. Huge fail this year nor bothering to address the situation. Especially given the success of teams with a good combo in net.

Thank God Lou was here to acquire a quality starter for far less than what was paid for a middling pair D man.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Guys that could be a successor. Not seeing it with those 2 and certainly not that can be a reliable backup now
Bit early to say “not seeing it” isn’t it? Both have some intrigue, Scott is most interesting to me longer term. Best goalie prospects we’ve had in years and years I think.

That said, Andy just turns 30 in a couple days, he could ride the net for years.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
DeSmith would be perfect if they can find a way. Two years to back up Freddy, then a possible tandem with Woll/Scott in the third year. DeSmith can play and would be trusted to take the net for an extended period if Freddy gets hurt.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Once Dermott/Hyman come back I can't even find a way to make a 21 man roster work with Sandin, Moore and Mikheyev all on there(along with the locks), so if that's the case and we have to go 20 then DeSmith as the backup fits, not to mention if we had to waive DeSmith the Pens would likely claim him back, so as long as Hutch got through we'd be fine.

I'm just annoyed they didn't waive Jarry

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One guy I'm interested in seeing develop is the Alex Georgiev kid in New York. He looked pretty good behind a bad team last year and will be in a dog fight with Igor Shesterkin for the Henrik Lundqvist job going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad