Backup Goalie Solution

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Too bad the guy gets injured all the time. Can't even go 2 periods without another problem. We can't go with a guy like this. We put ourselves in this problem last year losing MAC. A really bad call there in hindsight.

McBackup wouldn't be here this year either way. Not sure why you brought him up. He signed for 1.3M a year with the Lightning.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Door is WIDE open for Hutch tonight.

Have a good game and they likely run with him.

Hutch has a bad game, then it’s possible Neuvirth gets another shot or the team looks to waivers

There is no door. It's Hutchinson the backup. A small possibility they trade for a goaltender that cleared waivers.... very very small chance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is no door. It's Hutchinson the backup. A small possibility they trade for a goaltender that cleared waivers.... very very small chance.
Yep looks like another season, maybe even a little worse, than last season where our backup is a reason we are losing 7-10 points in standings

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep looks like another season, maybe even a little worse, than last season where our backup is a reason we are losing 7-10 points in standings

If the Leafs use load management on Andersen this year limiting him to 60ish games, that leaves 20 games and a potential 40 or so points in the hands of the backup goalie.

That is 1/4 of the seasons results fall in the hands of the backup goalie so the Leafs are going to need to get his right this year as it could have a huge impact on playoffs or not based simply on backup goalie record.

Its a fine line of resting Andersen for the playoffs and even making the playoffs based on backup goalie record.

Reactions: 54thecup

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Door is WIDE open for Hutch tonight.

Have a good game and they likely run with him.

Hutch has a bad game, then it’s possible Neuvirth gets another shot or the team looks to waivers

Thery have to look to waivers anyway if Neuvirth is hurt. You'd be 1 injury away from Ian Scott bring the backup that can't happen that can't even be a consideration

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Thery have to look to waivers anyway if Neuvirth is hurt. You'd be 1 injury away from Ian Scott bring the backup that can't happen that can't even be a consideration

I mean, if they signed Neuvirth, Hutch would be waived, and I doubt he’d be claimed

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean, if they signed Neuvirth, Hutch would be waived, and I doubt he’d be claimed

But if Neuvirth is injured and seeing as he's not on the ice that's possible, then he's not getting signed.

In that case you needed to go to waivers because again you can't allow yourself to be one injury away from Ian Scott being the backup

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
But if Neuvirth is injured and seeing as he's not on the ice that's possible, then he's not getting signed.

In that case you needed to go to waivers because again you can't allow yourself to be one injury away from Ian Scott being the backup

Well it wouldn’t be Scott. Scott’s likely ECHL bound. Kaskisuo and Woll would probably be the Marlies goalies. So probably Kaskisuo.

So even if Hutch goes down, Kaskisuo playing a game or two if needed isn’t the end of the world.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well it wouldn’t be Scott. Scott’s likely ECHL bound. Kaskisuo and Woll would probably be the Marlies goalies. So probably Kaskisuo.

So even if Hutch goes down, Kaskisuo playing a game or two if needed isn’t the end of the world.

That's not a better situation in fact it's probably worse

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's not a better situation in fact it's probably worse

I mean, I’m not sure what you expect.

If you want someone like Hutch as the third string goalie, than you should want to sign Neuvirth despite his minor injury. Because if Neuvirth does down during the season, then we have Hutch.

But you don’t want to do that.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I would steer clear of Domingue. He racked up wins on a dominant team with fairly average/below average personal stats (or as personal as goalie stats can get).

Reactions: qqaz

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I hope Neuvirth can get it together and emerge as the backup. I liked how he seemed to really appreciate what it means to be a Leaf.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs have 4 back to back games in October. CBJ/MTL MIN/WASH CBJ/BOS and SJ/MTL. They better have a solid backup goalie

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The backup goalie might the be biggest decision the Leafs have to make for this upcoming season in terms of roster moves.

I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in Hutchenson to be that reliable guy that will be able to win 50% of his starts.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Disappointing. Neuvirth would have been a great option for the Leafs. Hoping they can trade a late pick or depth piece for Dansk. Doubt he would make it to the Leafs if placed on waivers.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I still want us to take a shot at Charlie Lindgren whenever the Habs put him on waivers or flip them one of our million 6th/7th round picks from this years draft.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So many folks think all the other goalies who will placed on waivers are worthy of playing back up with the Leafs.
Reminds of fascination many Leaf fans had with acquiring a RHD last year. Every RHD on an NHL roster was better than all the other Leaf Dmen.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
So many folks think all the other goalies who will placed on waivers are worthy of playing back up with the Leafs.
Reminds of fascination many Leaf fans had with acquiring a RHD last year. Every RHD on an NHL roster was better than all the other Leaf Dmen.

Yep. I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this. And I'm not going to waste time getting to it, either!

Let's get to that speculation right now. Anthony Stolarz was just put on waivers by Anaheim yesterday. If we claim him, we'll find out today at noon.

2 minute internet scouting report:

Stolarz is 25, he's huge at at 6'6", and a former 2nd round pick from 2012. He's played a grand total of 25 NHL games with a 908 sv%, most of them this season for struggling teams in Philly and Edmonton. Many of his games he came in in relief.

Signed for 750K.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yep. I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this. And I'm not going to waste time getting to it, either!

Thanks for the scouting report. You're one of the few who at gave a players name and reasons. Many of the other posts are just "anybody but Hutchinson"

Next September, going to be interesting for the Leafs. Are they going to have either Scott or Woll in the NHL? With Andersson a UFA in 2021, the Leafs should would like to one or both of their youngsters fast tracked to the NHL.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Thanks for the scouting report. You're one of the few who at gave a players name and reasons. Many of the other posts are just "anybody but Hutchinson"

Next September, going to be interesting for the Leafs. Are they going to have either Scott or Woll in the NHL? With Andersson a UFA in 2021, the Leafs should would like to one or both of their youngsters fast tracked to the NHL.

I'm with you here. Saying "anybody but Hutchinson" is pretty silly. Lots of other options are actually straight-up worse or too expensive.

Stolarz might be no better than Hutch. Even if we do claim him he could prove to be no better. But at least a couple of these options could be sent to the AHL to split time if they are claimed but still can't beat Hutch. Problem is that time is running out to get this decided before the season starts.

I don't know if Scott or Woll will ever be the solution for the future. But I expect one of them to get a chance to backup next season, and I expect Andersen to be extended beyond that, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad