Backup Goalie Solution

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yep. I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this. And I'm not going to waste time getting to it, either!

Let's get to that speculation right now. Anthony Stolarz was just put on waivers by Anaheim yesterday. If we claim him, we'll find out today at noon.

2 minute internet scouting report:

Stolarz is 25, he's huge at at 6'6", and a former 2nd round pick from 2012. He's played a grand total of 25 NHL games with a 908 sv%, most of them this season for struggling teams in Philly and Edmonton. Many of his games he came in in relief.

Signed for 750K.

Stolarz would not be my first choice. Injuries are killing him and the two year contract was designed to ward off claims. It does for me anyways.

Jarry would be my first choice (675k). I like Anton Forsberg from Carolina (775k salary). Charlie Lindgren from MTL would be a decent option, but the term and uncertainty with him is not enough for me to claim him. He was below average in the AHL but decent in the NHL; could just be due to Laval being below average though. Louis Domingue from Tampa is decent too, but the 1.1 mill salary is a major roadblock.

So Jarry and Forsberg are the two best by far, and should be completely attainable. If Forsberg clears, Carolina has Nedeljkovic as their starter plus Booth and Helvig to compete as a backup in Charlotte. We could probably get him without giving up a pick. Meanwhile, if Jarry goes on waivers, we can just claim him. Unless PIT is willing to do a deal so we don't need to give up a contract spot and they at least get something of value.

Reactions: qqaz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What is really odd about Leafs backup goalie situation is the Leafs waived Hutcheson last year and went unclaimed around the league.

Then for the Calder playoffs Marlies went with Kaskisuo as their starter and Hutch was the backup in the AHL.

Now Kaskisuo was waived, and Hutch is the backup goalie plan at the NHL level.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark as something here doesn't logically jive.

Reactions: The Iceman

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Stolarz would not be my first choice. Injuries are killing him and the two year contract was designed to ward off claims. It does for me anyways.

Jarry would be my first choice (675k). I like Anton Forsberg from Carolina (775k salary). Charlie Lindgren from MTL would be a decent option, but the term and uncertainty with him is not enough for me to claim him. He was below average in the AHL but decent in the NHL; could just be due to Laval being below average though. Louis Domingue from Tampa is decent too, but the 1.1 mill salary is a major roadblock.

So Jarry and Forsberg are the two best by far, and should be completely attainable. If Forsberg clears, Carolina has Nedeljkovic as their starter plus Booth and Helvig to compete as a backup in Charlotte. We could probably get him without giving up a pick. Meanwhile, if Jarry goes on waivers, we can just claim him. Unless PIT is willing to do a deal so we don't need to give up a contract spot and they at least get something of value.

Jarry would be my first choice, as well. I only brought up Stolarz because he is actually on waivers right this very moment.

He could be a Leaf in the next 40 minutes.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
  1. Anton Forsberg - meh but price is right 775,000
  2. Eric Comrie - no
  3. Tristan Jarry- meh but $675,000 is in our wheelhouse
  4. J.F. Berube - no
  5. Calvin Pickard - no
  6. Oscar Dansk - yes - $675,000--not a lo t of NHL exerience but intriguing player
  7. Louis Dominique - absolutely but cap ht is 1,150,000
  8. Mike Condon - yes but makes over 2 mil this season
Dansk or Jarry would mean that we do not have to carry Holl as our #7 when our team is fully healthy and Sandin is kept up...

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

According to some guy with a blue checkmark on twitter, everyone cleared waivers today. That means Stolarz is off the list of options.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

According to some guy with a blue checkmark on twitter, everyone cleared waivers today. That means Stolarz is off the list of options.

OT but it was posted here.

McCoshen could get claimed by someone. Not the Leafs, I don't think he's better than what we've got, but the age (24), puck moving ability and shooting ability for a defensive player and physical element with his size (6'3", 220") should interest someone. Plus he's a pretty good skater too.

His issue is IQ and catching up to the speed of the game mentally. That's why IQ is an absolute must out of anyone I would want to draft. If you are behind on thinking the game, then you are almost certainly never going to catch up and be good enough to play in the NHL, regardless of how skilled you are (ask Yakupov). Skill (like being physically dominant) can get you through junior and maybe the AHL but if your IQ is not up there by the time you hit the NHL, you have practically no chance of making it (and those who do are usually extremely skilled and have to be limited to very niche roles to be effective).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What is really odd about Leafs backup goalie situation is the Leafs waived Hutcheson last year and went unclaimed around the league.

Then for the Calder playoffs Marlies went with Kaskisuo as their starter and Hutch was the backup in the AHL.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark as something here doesn't logically jive.

This is why I am not convinced about Hutch as the Leafs backup. The guy lost to a guy who is clearly an effective #3 at best. How do we, as a competitive team, think it's a good idea to essentially put an AHL backup as our NHL backup. Not only this, but that AHL backup is turning 30 this year and hasn't been NHL quality for at least 2 years now, and we are coming off a year where a bunch of (irrational) fans have been calling for Dubas' head because apparently the backup position was what cost us this year...

And Dubas went with a 25 year old goalie who came off of one of the best AHL seasons for a goalie ever.

Imagine the grief he gets when Hutch blows up in his face (if he sticks with him).

Now with the PIT rumours about the market for one of their goalies heating up, I imagine the Leafs are in the mix, if not the front runner, for a guy like Jarry. He fits us perfectly. He's only 24, he has starting potential, and he's already proven that he can step in when the starter goes down and still win a ton of games. Or at least getting someone like Anton Forsberg who is turning 27 and was able to put up solid backup numbers on a bottom-feeder team two years ago.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
With Hutchinson being blah & Neuvirth mainly unknown especially because of health issues do we look elsewhere?

Heres a list. Some were placed on waivers & cap hit ofcourse may be an issue. Or perhaps you have other ideas.

1. Anton Forsberg
  2. Eric Comrie
  3. Tristan Jarry
  4. J.F. Berube
  5. Calvin Pickard
  6. Oscar Dansk
  7. Louis Dominique
  8. Mike Condon
Thoughts?
  1. Anton Forsberg - I think he's better than Hutch and won't cost anything to acquire
  2. Eric Comrie - Not proven enough in the NHL.
  3. Tristan Jarry - Number 1 choice easily.
  4. J.F. Berube - Isn't even that great of an AHL goalie.
  5. Calvin Pickard - Term is a major turnoff and Sparks was significantly better than him the past two years.
  6. Oscar Dansk - Interesting, but I don't think he's more than a good #3 at best.
  7. Louis Dominique - He works, but not at that cap number.
  8. Mike Condon - Pretty sure this guy is just going to collect his cheques and then retire; Had one good season and that was really it.

Reactions: qqaz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't think Hutch is the backup goalie plan at the NHL level, if he was I don't think Neuvirth would have gotten a PTO

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't think Hutch is the backup goalie plan at the NHL level, if he was I don't think Neuvirth would have gotten a PTO

Ya, it's pretty clear they would be happy to find an upgrade. Just a matter of timing to see if one fits. Hutch is not a bad default option if another doesn't materialise.

From what I've gathered form the main boards, looks like PIT might be trying to trade a goaie like Jarry, rather than risk losing him to waivers. I wonder if Dubas is willing to toss a late pick or a low end prospect to snag him. I'd give Timashov, or someone similar, for a capable young backup.

Alternatively, seems like CGY tried to waive John Gillies today, but missed the cut-off-time. He'll hit waivers tomorrow.

2 minute internet scouting report!!!

John Gillies is 25, drafted in the 3rd round, and is huge at 6'6". 2 years ago he seemed to be on his way to a regular gig. He was great in the AHL and even got into a dozen NHL games. But last year was a steep downturn, where he was below average in the AHL all season. As of today, he seems worse than Hutch. 750K.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Should definitely claim Gillies tomorrow when he goes on, or rather call Calgary and make a deal to trade once he clears.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm hoping for one of Forsberg or Jarry on waivers to bolster the backup position, but also for goalie depth. Hutchinson would be a good #3 guy going into the playoffs. Then they could move Kaskisuo.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The player HAS TO be making 700k or less. Tristan Jarry is the only interesting option since it lets us carry a 700k player as the 21st man. I think Hutchinson is better/safer option between the two, given Jarry's lack of NHL experience. Don't want to be in another Sparks situation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I do wonder if there is the potential of the Leafs' trading a fairly significant prospect for a goalie before the trading team waives him (or I guess after if clears waivers), who is around the 1M salary mark, with the team retaining half the salary. Leafs get a backup goalie who is around 500K or less against the cap also giving them a bit of cap space. The other team gets a good prospect.

Reactions: qqaz and kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I do wonder if there is the potential of the Leafs' trading a fairly significant prospect for a goalie before the trading team waives him (or I guess after if clears waivers), who is around the 1M salary mark, with the team retaining half the salary. Leafs get a backup goalie who is around 500K or less against the cap also giving them a bit of cap space. The other team gets a good prospect.
it would depend on the prospect, but this is a good idea. I'm not sold on Hutchinson at all

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Yeah and maybe even someone who could take over from Andersen after next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad