Backup Goalie Solution

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Speaking of goalies, who should be our starter the first 3 games?

We play 3 in 4 vs Ottawa, then Columbus and a rested Montreal Sat nite.

I'm thinking Freddie should play vs Ott and then the end of the back to back against Montreal.
Which team has more threat in terms of goal scorers, Columbus or Montreal? I'd use Freddie against that team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Speaking of goalies, who should be our starter the first 3 games?

We play 3 in 4 vs Ottawa, then Columbus and a rested Montreal Sat nite.

I'm thinking Freddie should play vs Ott and then the end of the back to back against Montreal.
Play the statistics. Start Freddie Friday.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We don't know that we can't afford him that US TV deal is comingg in 2 years, expansion money, gambling money, A LOT of money.

As for paying Freddie in his 30's fact is goalies last longer than other players.

Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Lou etc have all proven it.

Rinne is doin it now.

The list is endless
Rielly, Sandin,Liljegren, Dermott will all hopefully demand long term contracts at the end of their current deals and I'd rather keep my top 4 defensemen without sacrificing up front.

The difference between a lot of those guys you mentioned and now is that there wasn't a salary cap when those guys played. You could pay them as much as they wanted as long as theu wanted and if theuy sucked you could go out and get somebody else.

These days you have to be much smarter with your money and the teams that tend to not spend excessively on their goaltending can usually put better teams on the ice and go farther in the playoffs.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bit early to say “not seeing it” isn’t it? Both have some intrigue, Scott is most interesting to me longer term. Best goalie prospects we’ve had in years and years I think.

That said, Andy just turns 30 in a couple days, he could ride the net for years.

Hopefully - that would be ideal
All depends on if/what they win. If Fred doesn’ t look good in the playoffs again.....
If he’s looking for the big money max term...and they all are.

Reactions: DarkKnight

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rielly, Sandin,Liljegren, Dermott will all hopefully demand long term contracts at the end of their current deals and I'd rather keep my top 4 defensemen without sacrificing up front.

The difference between a lot of those guys you mentioned and now is that there wasn't a salary cap when those guys played. You could pay them as much as they wanted as long as theu wanted and if theuy sucked you could go out and get somebody else.

These days you have to be much smarter with your money and the teams that tend to not spend excessively on their goaltending can usually put better teams on the ice and go farther in the playoffs.

I still think you need a top goalie to win for the most part.

We will see what Binnington is maybe he's an exception all rules have exceptions to them.

But Holtby, Murray, Fluery, Crawford, Quick, Crawford, QuickThomas, Niemi, Hasek, Giguere, Ward, Bulin, Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour those are the goalies that have won cups going back 20 years how many exceptions do you see?

I see 2 Ward and Niemi Binnington might make 3 but for now it'a 2.

The list proves you NEED a top level goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I still think you need a top goalie to win for the most part.

We will see what Binnington is maybe he's an exception all rules have exceptions to them.

But Holtby, Murray, Fluery, Crawford, Quick, Crawford, QuickThomas, Niemi, Hasek, Giguere, Ward, Bulin, Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour those are the goalies that have won cups you back 20 years how many exceptions do you see?

I see 2 Ward and Niemi Binnington might make 3 but for now it'a 2.

The list proves you NEED a top level goalie.

I see 2 Ward, and Niemi that's it, Bonnington might make

I couldn't agree more. Even Ward was pretty good for an extended period of time. Never really elite, other than the cup run, but a legit starter for a few years, then a workhorse for a floundering team for a while after that.

Niemi is the only guy who just happened to play over his head on a run to a Cup win. And the Blackhawks team he was on was fantastic. It's completely reasonable to say that cup winning teams tend to have elite goalies. I don't think we can win it with a keeper worse than Andersen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
For people suggesting that PIT might trade DeSmith to us with retention (if he clears) remember that he has 3 years left on his contract. Currently 3 years at 1.25M. That means they'd have to use a retention spot for the next 3 years to do this.

A move like that might be super attractive for Toronto, because they can get a player locked in for less than the league minimum. Awesome for a team in perpetual cap crunch.

But it makes it far, far less apealing for PIT. Teams only get 3 retention spots, and they probably only have a few years left in the Crosby/Malkin window. So would they be willing to use up a retention spot and kill some cap space, in some crucial years, just to get something insignificant from us? I doubt it.

If we were to get DeSmith from PIT, he has to clear waivers first, then it would take a decent enough pick/prospect to motivate the Pens. It's not going to be a 6th rounder or DerArguchintsev.
That's ok we can swop Kessel's 1.2M retained and take DeSmith and give them a 7th rounder

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Andersen against Ottawa,
Hutch in Columbus,
Andersen against Montreal.

Ya, I know that's the convention approach and perhaps the best odds of getting 4 points.

We play Montreal twice in October on back to backs when they're rested.

Those 4 pts (potential 8 point swing) could be the difference in our playoff spot / standings in the division. Just look at how close we were last year.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Ya, I know that's the convention approach and perhaps the best odds of getting 4 points.

We play Montreal twice in October on back to backs when they're rested.

Those 4 pts (potential 8 point swing) could be the difference in our playoff spot / standings in the division. Just look at how close we were last year.

It's silly. But this is correct. A "4 point game," even this early in the season, is huge. The standings are going to be close at the end of the season, so start separating now.

Man, I love hockey. Andersen or Hutch, I can't wait for some real games!

Reactions: 54thecup

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Seem like so many fans know when THEIR plays back to back against rested teams, but don't never see the stats of THEIR rested team playing against teams on back to back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->