Babcock's coaching method Vs Success

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Babcock is WAY smarter when it comes to hockey than anyone on here and sees WAY more about the game than we could ever hope too. That's a fact jack. Is he infallible, no, but he's well respected for a reason. I've always believed you can tell a lot about quality people by how their peers see them, the fact this guy was chosen to lead Canada isn't a fluke, nor is his huge contract, nor is the praise he receives by pros...those are indicators and no amount of armchair amateurs on here change reality, including myself.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Babcock is a great coach. One of the best but he is pretty set in his ways. Personally I didn't like Smith that series as most problems came from his end of the pine.

We don't agree often, but when we do, it's that DJ Smith should be fired. His unit has consistently appeared to have learned nothing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This thread is about Babcock. I don’t care about what Ovechkin has done or hasn’t done.
Good for you but it relates to the fact that there could be more 1st round exits.
Because as Washington has shown, nothing is guaranteed.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Good for you but it relates to the fact that there could be more 1st round exits.
Because as Washington has shown, nothing is guaranteed.

There could be more first round exits but they won’t be celebrated. Difference between Washington and Toronto is that the temperature is a little bit hotter when the team struggles. Discussion in Washington sports media today is “Would you give up a Capitals Stanley cup for a Redskins playoff win?”

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do not disagree with your philosophy but Muston is right. A first round exit is not a success anymore. And it is a good thing.
It's not a success but could be a reality. Just because we have Matthews/Marner/Nylander doesn't make us more special than anyone else. Hard work and chemistry go along with it. Coaching is one part. Any team worth a grain of salt has a Matthews/Marner/Nylander. The players, the coach, the GM all hold responsibility. Simply tacking it all on Babcock without looking at everything is wrong. Maybe it's part, maybe some of people's favorite little players can't get it done. But it's early yet. I think we moved faster than some people can handle.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's not a success but could be a reality. Just because we have Matthews/Marner/Nylander doesn't make us more special than anyone else. Hard work and chemistry go along with it. Coaching is one part. Any team worth a grain of salt has a Matthews/Marner/Nylander. The players, the coach, the GM all hold responsibility. Simply tacking it all on Babcock without looking at everything is wrong. Maybe it's part, maybe some of people's favorite little players can't get it done. But it's early yet. I think we moved faster than some people can handle.

Dude let me ask you this.

- The first 2 games of the playoffs; in your opinion did babcock ice the optimal roster? yes or no?

- did the leafs have a good breakout strategy (regardless of the roster)?

- did the leafs stop using stretch passes even though they were icing it for Bergeron line to come on the ice or their passes getting intercepted in the neutral zone for fast transition for the bruins?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock is WAY smarter when it comes to hockey than anyone on here and sees WAY more about the game than we could ever hope too. That's a fact jack. Is he infallible, no, but he's well respected for a reason. I've always believed you can tell a lot about quality people by how their peers see them, the fact this guy was chosen to lead Canada isn't a fluke, nor is his huge contract, nor is the praise he receives by pros...those are indicators and no amount of armchair amateurs on here change reality, including myself.

All true but doesn't mean he'll be successful here

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

- The first 2 games of the playoffs; in your opinion did babcock ice the optimal roster? yes or no?

- did the leafs stop using stretch passes even though they were icing it for Bergeron line to come on the ice or their passes getting intercepted in the neutral zone for fast transition for the bruins?
No, no, and no.

Basically the whole thing was yet another affirmation that it's Babs' way or the highway.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Well said, too often fans just want an easy scapegoat.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Players go from being good enough to play #1 PP minutes to being a healthy scratch all the time in the playoffs. I was just surprised it was Komarov instead of Leivo this time.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Do I think the Leafs could get a better head coach....Yes. Do I think Babcock will be fired by June 2019,,,No.
But I have read some really silly reasons to retain him as coach.
1. " Dubas won't fire him. " Well it won't be Dubas's decision. It will Shanny and the owners decision.
2. "Mentioning Babcock's international coach record. " Meaningless, the MLSE signs his cheque.
3. "Babcock is owed 30m". Meaningless, this ownership has paid a ton of money in buyouts, and firing other coaches and executives." 30m to Rogers and Bell...money wouldn't influence their decision that much.

Now, I admit there is whole lot more to coaching than what the fan sees. But IMO, Babcock gets outcoached on game day. He likes to match lines, but he is poor at it.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

-What's the optimal lineup? Yours, mine, Babcock's or someone else's on HF boards? To me it looked like he iced the lineup that people were so proud to say 105 point team.

-the Leafs didn't have good anything in the first 2 games as evident by Babcock's breath boys on the bench. There was something wrong (nerves/whatever) far beyond that in Boston.

All coaches can adjust and I'm not saying he doesn't share the blame but it's an organization. We need to stop putting the blame on one person only. Credit to the Bruins as well that didn't allow it. Tampa has more skill, depth and experience. Boston schooled them first game but the coach (and players) were able to adjust. Now they can't adjust to Washington at the moment? Bad coach?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Is this a Babcock trash thread or a reasonable discussion on his tenure here with TO? Team has only gone upward since his arrival, unless I'm mistaken, so he is doing fine IMO. Roster improvements are needed to continue this trend none the less. Go Dubas!

Reactions: stickty111

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
took the last place team to the playoffs 2 years in a row, first year fought tooth and nail against the president trophy winning team taking them to 5 overtime games.
next year fought back from 3 - 1 games down to take the lead in the 3rd period of the 7th game against quite possibly the best team in the NHL from november onwards.

conclusion = babcock sucks

seems about right

This.

How quickly people forget how bad we were not long ago. This is still a process. They ran into a hot team in Boston and took them too the edge.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
A "hot" Boston team?

They got dismantled versus Tampa and exposed as a pretender.

Right. Disregard what they did for 6 months and in the first round because of the second round in which they played the rested top team in the East.

Apr 1, 2010
the bab buddies don't want to face reality. Last time that this dinosaur coach won a cup, he had two 1c's, a world class 1D, osgood and hasek in the cage, and a great supporting cast... Now hes using the same **** system to try and win with brain surgeon gardiner and bozo the clown..... madness!
Funny I bet that would describe most winning teams.
At least 2 great C's, a stud #1D, above average goaltending and a good supporting cast.
You know, like LAK, BOS, PIT, CHI all had as recent champs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad