Babcock's coaching method Vs Success

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Can’t beat the contender drum, make moves like they feel they can compete, then when they get out-classes in th first round, revert back to the “it’s only been two years” thing.
High point totals are great and all, but mean dick all in he playoffs.

This!

what really ticks me off are these babcock worshippers kept on yapping how this team is a contender and didn't want to trade pending UFAs

now the narrative is: oh we are two years removed from the rebuild from those same babcock worshippers.

Freakin' hypocrisy at its finest. These hypocritical posts absolutely PISS ME OFF

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
What really rubs me the wrong way is his comment to the media, "You guys want Matthews and Marner togther, I want to win." How do you truly know you are going to win by completely negating a potential dangerous strategy? I would like to hear from him in detail why he thinks putting two of the more dangerous offensive players in the entire NHL negates the possibility of winning.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What really rubs me the wrong way is his comment to the media, "You guys want Matthews and Marner togther, I want to win." How do you truly know you are going to win by completely negating a potential dangerous strategy? I would like to hear from him in detail why he thinks putting two of the more dangerous offensive players in the entire NHL negates the possibility of winning.
It's the reversal of logic that baffles me the most.

We are able to put our best offensive players together because of our incredible depth. We would not even be close to a 1-line team with Matthews and Marner together. Much like how Tampa puts Kucherov and Stamkos together.

I'm still not sure what ridiculous twisted logic needs to be used to justify having guys like Komarov and Hyman leading the team in ice-time and mixing grinders with our skilled players because of our offensive depth. It's just the pro-Babcock crew that bending over backwards to justify the utterly moronic decisions that Babcock makes.

Reactions: ToMaLe

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's obvious to anyone with the eyes to see that Babcock is trying to impose the 2008 Red Wings style of play on our roster. Between having our defensemen do ridiculous stretch passes that never work (we don't have Lidstrom and Rafalski!), obsessive line-matching (Datsyuk and Zetterberg - we don't have them either) and over-playing the living f*** out of grinder vets and even having them lead TOI (and shit like Komarov on the PP is honestly beyond any reason and logic).

We have an incredible roster, but it's different. We don't have a Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom who can dominate their match-up and put the team up 1 or 2 goals and then use the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines to grind them out the rest of the game. We have far more offense across are 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines. And we DEFINITELY don't have Lidstrom or Rafalski to pull off that massive stretch-pass strategy that's one pass and you're in the zone.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Babcock is a great regular season coach, and what he does makes a lot of sense if your goal is maximising points with the OTL point.

It makes a lot less sense in the playoffs. I'm not really surprised he's won so few series with his style. Playing not to lose, particularly with this roster's talent, is not the appropriate playoff strategy. Every game in the playoffs should be played like it's OT - take chances, put your talent vs their talent.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doesn't Matthews play with Nylander?
So do we get worse if you switch Marner/Nylander or are we better because it's Willy/Matthews?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
A lot of losers in the Leafs org right now.
Even though it's "obvious to anyone" Shanny and Lou let Babs get away with terrible coaching.
If we don't win the cup next year, I'll be done with Dubas too.
We'll want to get rid of all three of them, and most of the players.

Tank, baby!!
(I hated that winning season.... )

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Then why do so many people bring it up?

Essentially your narrative was we should sit back, wait and see what develops. My second paragraph addresses that.
Yes, your second paragraph lays out a few thoughts, though not many with which I agree. As I read your comments, and others like them, I cannot help myself but ask what is it that ‘you’ want? For all your concerns and criticisms you often (this not directed at you specifically) rail against Babcock and his methods while grudgingly accept that there have been a few steps in positive directions. What I don’t understand are these criticisms coming from a place that doesn’t know the overall goals of the organization. Yes winning is an overall goal. But so too were the goals of giving players ‘safe’ learning opportunities, of bringing them up when they are ready to stay up, of helping them become 200 ft players in situations where they could succeed. And it’s working, but not fast enough for some. The reason I have faith in this coaching staff is that it falls within the structure of an organization I trust more than at any point since ‘67. It not blind faith, it allows for criticism, but it doesn’t search for minor issues to bolster an argument that makes sport of coach bashing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad