Ideally I'd like to see

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Lindholm-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Side note, I really like how Babcock is cutting Hainsey's minutes compared to what he was playing last year at this time, but ideally I'd like to see more minute reduction at ES instead of SH.
I Like this only I would try imho change Kappy and Marleau put Kappy up it would be a total dominant in skating, skill line and Marleau has some size and still skates well to go with Tavy and Marner

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
ALL of the Leafs top 9 got virtually identical 5v5 time. Then you look at the Jets and see Scheifele with 20+ minutes. That's how you make the conference finals, you actually play your best players.
This game it happened like that and you know what, we won. Look at the rest of the games we've had so far. Also the ice time in the playoffs shows that Babcock does rely on his best players.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Every nickname like this is shockingly dumb. Egocock, Cryjo, Ryan OMoney, they leave me to wonder if the vast majority of this website aren't gradeschool bullies trolling the forums in computer class.

Lol Grabcock

Lot's of PK time, very little PP time. I can't fault old Labsmock for this one tonight.

Leafs unbeatable on the road where Bobcat doesn’t have last line change..... hmmmmmm

For the thousandth time.... It's BABCOCK

Vobak2Q.jpg

Reactions: Macallan18

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Babcock tries too hard. His line-matching obsession does not work. He actually pulled our 1st PP unit off the ice so fast last night when they were dominant to keep the lines matched. It's stupid.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Proof that you do not watch the games or you simply watch the puck and nothing else.
So I did not see out 1st unit PP dominating and pulled after only 40 seconds and the second unit get more time and were horrible? That was my complaint. It was actually later repeated in the Leaf call-in show I listened to.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
yep, that's how you make the conference finals, overplaying your best players in October.
He played just as much last October as well...

Fact is, most teams give their best forwards around 20 mins a night, regardless of how much PK there is, they make it work, they find them the ice time.

You guys just keep saying oh theyre not playing that much so they will be rested for the playoffs. Well I'm willing to bet when playoffs role around, Matthews is still playing under 20 mins a night. Matthews only broke 20 mins once last playoffs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All the teams in the confeernce finals last year played their players more tan the Leafs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So I did not see out 1st unit PP dominating and pulled after only 40 seconds and the second unit get more time and were horrible? That was my complaint. It was actually later repeated in the Leaf call-in show I listened to.
Yes and they went back on the ice for the last 36 seconds as well. They were not dominant as the puck went back to our zone. We had a couple of our PP players who were on the ice to draw the penalty as well. Getting mad and seeing only a part of the picture is why I posted my reply.

The Leafs call in show filled with people who know very little about the game now there is a place to go to listen to people who have never played the game at a high level. As well you stated about Line matching which we have not been doing. Only 4th line. Proving you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yes and they went back on the ice for the last 36 seconds as well. They were not dominant as the puck went back to our zone. We had a couple of our PP players who were on the ice to draw the penalty as well. Getting mad and seeing only a part of the picture is why I posted my reply.

The Leafs call in show filled with people who know very little about the game now there is a place to go to listen to people who have never played the game at a high level. As well you stated about Line matching which we have not been doing. Only 4th line. Proving you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

How hard is it for some people to actually look at a box score?

I mean if they got pulled at the 40 second mark yet finished the night with 1:08 mins of PP on only 1 PP something had to happen, amiright?

I think what actually happened is people took to Twitter when the 1st unit was pulled at 40 secs then were too busy tweeting to see that unit go back out again.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He played just as much last October as well...

Fact is, most teams give their best forwards around 20 mins a night, regardless of how much PK there is, they make it work, they find them the ice time.

You guys just keep saying oh theyre not playing that much so they will be rested for the playoffs. Well I'm willing to bet when playoffs role around, Matthews is still playing under 20 mins a night. Matthews only broke 20 mins once last playoffs.

I’ll wait til the playoffs before getting upset about playing time.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’ll wait til the playoffs before getting upset about playing time.
We waited 'til the playoffs last year for the things the cheerleaders said would come into fruition and they never did. And we lost in the first round. And upset our generational talent in the process which our coach actually had to fly out to make sure everything was good.

Once again the cheerleader logic contradicts itself.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
  • Ovechkin averaged 15:54 even strength minutes during the regular season and 16:14 even strength minutes during the playoffs last season, Caps won the cup.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We waited 'til the playoffs last year for the things the cheerleaders said would come into fruition and they never did. And we lost in the first round. And upset our generational talent in the process which our coach actually had to fly out to make sure everything was good.

Once again the cheerleader logic contradicts itself.

The playing time seems like it's partially decided by our sports science division. This looks like trying to get ahead of the game and seems to be supported by the coaching staff and Front Office.

Is it fair to just blame Babcock for the usage?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
These people claim Babcock is old school/not up to date/etc and ego driven and stubborn, lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The playing time seems like it's partially decided by our sports science division. This looks like trying to get ahead of the game and seems to be supported by the coaching staff and Front Office.

Is it fair to just blame Babcock for the usage?
I've based my reasoning on the proven templates provided by Washington and Pittsburgh. You'll notice when you look at their ice-time distributions (for forwards). With Washington and Pittsburgh, they have their 4 best guys up front playing the most minutes and there's a significant drop-off in ice-time with the complimentary players. With our group, it's not like that. We have our complimentary guys right up there in ice-time with our stars (even getting more in some cases) and it's a much more even spread of ice-time across the board. I believe Pittsburgh and Washington's usage is superior because they get more ice-time to their best guys, and they got the cups to prove it.

I'm not saying we can't deviate away from that and forge another method to a cup (I mean shit, let's hope we do), I'm just saying the proven methods of ice-time distribution are currently written by Washington and Pittsburgh. Like I said, they're the ones with the Stanley cups to prove it.

These people claim Babcock is old school/not up to date/etc and ego driven and stubborn, lol
The antagonism is almost unbearable.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Washington EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Ovi 15:55 15:25
Kuz 15:18 14:59
Backstrom 15:14 14:50
Oshie 14:16 14:21

Penguins EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Sid 16:53 16:47
Gino 15:09 15:15
Phil 14:33 14:53
Jake 16:24 14:30

Leafs EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Matthews 15:57 15:55
Marner 14:09 15:36
Nylander/JT 14:39 15:32
Kadri 14:40 13:38

The only things that stand out to me are that Sid gets about a minute a game more than Ovi and Matthews also Kadri's EV TOI is down a little this year.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really don’t think it is a good idea to use the playoff series against the Bruins as a ref for minutes played.
Matthews was struggling big time against the Bruins. Why would any coach send struggling players out to play more esp since if you are losing.

Reactions: White Shadow

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Washington EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Ovi 15:55 15:25
Kuz 15:18 14:59
Backstrom 15:14 14:50
Oshie 14:16 14:21

Penguins EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Sid 16:53 16:47
Gino 15:09 15:15
Phil 14:33 14:53
Jake 16:24 14:30

Leafs EV TOI 17/18 18/19

Matthews 15:57 15:55
Marner 14:09 15:36
Nylander/JT 14:39 15:32
Kadri 14:40 13:38

The only things that stand out to me are that Sid gets about a minute a game more than Ovi and Matthews also Kadri's EV TOI is down a little this year.

this will be ignored like all the other "stat" based posts .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad