Ansar Khan: Babcock to Weiss: Do it Right or You'll Hate the Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This argument is dumb.

If you watched Corey Crawford play in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs, when it matters most, you would know he is a mediocre goalie. Let me give you a quick scouting report for the goals he allowed vs Boston in the Stanely Cup Finals. Glove-side softie. Glove-side softie. Glove-side softie. Glove-side softie. Glove-side softie. He was very average in the actual Finals, and he went a stretch where he let in 8/12 goals on his glove-side and most weren't even that great of shots.

How many great goalies in the league have a weak glove? I can't think of any.

If the Hawks had an actual good goalie, they would have won last year even easier.

Corey Crawford is fortunate to play on a very good team. He's a scrub. If you watch both Howard and Crawford play extensively, it's very clear who the better goalie is. It shouldn't even be a debate.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Osgood had questions -- but he was considered Good Enough for the Red Wings for several years until he lost the faith of the fans and the organization.

Wait, are you talking about when the Wings traded for arguably the most talented goalie to ever play professional hockey? Good one.

RedWingsNow*

Will you say that about Howard when he wins a Cup too?

Chances of Howard ever winning a cup are slim. But absolutely.

Right now, I say Howard is an above average to good goalie.
Right now, I saw Crawford is an above average to good goalie who's proven he can win the cup.

If Howard ever wins the cup, I'll have no trouble saying that Howard is an above average to good goalie who has proven he can win the cup.

No question. That's easy.

RedWingsNow*

While close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons, he came damn near close to playing his favorites to another Stanley Cup appearance.

Losing in Round 2 is not DAMN NEAR CLOSE to another Stanley Cup appearance

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Take it out of the Red Wings fan caccoon into reality.

Why don't you venture over to the Ranger's forum and see how they feel about Brodeur vs Lundqvist.

But if you really want to discuss this without being the only dude defending for a rival in multiple threads, I have just the forum for you. Escape the cocoon! Fly, you fools!

moth.jpg

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

RedWingsNow*

Go venture over onto the Hawks board, or talk to Blackhawks fans. They aren't too high on Crawford.

Thanks
I just read it the Crawford thread.
It's a refreshing board.

Opinions are all over the map.

They don't seem as willing to put players up on silly pedestals like they do here.

Reading the Crawford thread, it's not really at odds with what I believe, as I believe both Howard and Crawford are overpaid.

I guess I don't see the point in spending $5 to $6M on a goalie -- long term, when capable goalies are fairly easy to pick up on the cheap. Unless a goalie is out-of-this-world good...

And neither Howard or Crawford are "out of this world."

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Losing in Round 2 is not DAMN NEAR CLOSE to another Stanley Cup appearance
Losing in Game 7 OT of Round 2 to the eventual champion is... not really that far, either. Getting to the conference finals is considered to be a great season, and they almost did that. They were really close.

It's not amazing, but let's not pretend that it's awful either. It's above average.

RedWingsNow*

Losing in Game 7 OT of Round 2 to the eventual champion is... not really that far, either. Getting to the conference finals is considered to be a great season, and they almost did that. They were really close.

It's not amazing, but let's not pretend that it's awful either. It's above average.

Howard won 7 games. To get to the finals, you need 12.

7/12 is not close.

The Red Wings beat my playoff expectations.
But if you want to talk about how they almost beat Chicago, you also have to talk about how they almost didn't make the playoffs and almost didn't beat Anaheim/

All the almost talk doesn't mean much to me.

I didn't come away from 2013 playoffs like I did 2007 -- where I was sad we lost but excited because I sensed we were back as real contenders.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So yeah, Stephen Weiss. I'm really excited for him. I think he's going to make a hell of a second line center. I think we've lacked a player like him for a while, this coming from a big Filppula fan.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Chances of Howard ever winning a cup are slim. But absolutely.

Right now, I say Howard is an above average to good goalie.
Right now, I saw Crawford is an above average to good goalie who's proven he can win the cup.

If Howard ever wins the cup, I'll have no trouble saying that Howard is an above average to good goalie who has proven he can win the cup.

No question. That's easy.

Why do you say chances of him winning a Cup are slim? I'd say he's got 1/30 odds, just like every other starting goalie in the league.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I'm really excited to see Weiss. I think he and Alfie are going to bring a spark and hunger to win to this team that haven't been seen on the roster in some time.

RedWingsNow*

Why do you say chances of him winning a Cup are slim? I'd say he's got 1/30 odds, just like every other starting goalie in the league.

Because Detroit's best players are on the wrong side of 30 and while we have good prospects, I don't believe we have great prospects in the system.

I'd say Detroit's odds right now are about 1/15 (pulling a number out of the blue). Which isn't bad. But realistically it's slim.
And going forward, as Datsyuk hits 36, and 37 and Hank hits 35, our chances begin to drop.

RedWingsNow*

I'm really excited to see Weiss. I think he and Alfie are going to bring a spark and hunger to win to this team that haven't been seen on the roster in some time.

I disagree with your second sentence. ...but I'm always happy to see the Wings play. And new faces always adds even more excitement

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Because Detroit's best players are on the wrong side of 30 and while we have good prospects, I don't believe we have great prospects in the system.

I'd say Detroit's odds right now are about 1/15 (pulling a number out of the blue). Which isn't bad. But realistically it's slim.
And going forward, as Datsyuk hits 36, and 37 and Hank hits 35, our chances begin to drop.

There are 30 teams. One will win the Cup. Jimmy has as realistic a chance as anyone.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I disagree with your second sentence. ...but I'm always happy to see the Wings play. And new faces always adds even more excitement

You don't think that two vets who have never won before would be hungry to win?

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

What do you like about the team? You have to be one of the most negative 'fans' of any sports team I've seen. Maybe it's time to cheer for another team

RedWingsNow*

There are 30 teams. One will win the Cup. Jimmy has as realistic a chance as anyone.

That's not how the world works.
I'd say guys like Crawford, Quick and Rask have a much better chance than Howard -- if for no other reason than the team they play for. But also, because two of the goalies have done it before. And one just came fairly close

RedWingsNow*

What do you like about the team? You have to be one of the most negative 'fans' of any sports team I've seen. Maybe it's time to cheer for another team

This is Murica, comrad. Support the war or get out:help:

The Red Wings are my team, whether I happen to like the current bunch a whole lot or not much.

Over the last few years, I've seen a lot of players come in that I don't really like and seen players I like go.

There are some people who love every inch of "their team." I'm not of that mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad