Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
he's speaking with pelley on friday
looks like united front
same old garbage !!!!!
Not if Pelley takes over his role as Leafs President, and Shanahan is being moved to another position inside the organization, and no longer responsible for guiding and deciding the direction of the hockey team.

This happens in big corporations all the time, that someone is replaced in a current role and relocated to another job instead of being fired and released.

Remember when Shanahan inserted Dubas as new GM while in turn offering Lou Lam and senior advisors position within the organization.

Reactions: kevsh

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It is however a good topic to discuss and likely to include comments about his immaturity.

However in terms of being interviewed presently ...

You would expect that one of the top 10 highest paid players in the game would be interviewed constantly if he supposed to be among the games stars.
&
Anyone including Mitch should be smart enough to know certain questions are coming and as such have thought about that well in advance, to have a prepared response at the get go.

He certainly is not helping his own case by what he is coming up with off the top of his head and unprepared to handle. He is essentially tossing gasoline on his own fire for the media to run with and skewer him further over.

Telling the media "We're like Gods in Toronto" after being bounced out of the playoffs in the first round 7 of the last 8 seasons is only going to more likely get him bounced out of Toronto. IMO
I don’t find Matthews or Marner particularly good at interviews but nobody is Marner level bad. Marner should only give interviews if they win, never ever under any other circumstance.

Matthews interviews like an FBI investigation. Cue cards and everything else is not getting into that.

I have to check if I’m still alive when Tavares is speaking.

Only Willy and Morgan can interview here.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, if Sheldon is back next season it will be very hard to get excited for next season. He should have been relieved of his duties after last season and he was given one more kick at the can undeservingly. It always felt like Tre was holding that bullet in his chamber for a moment just like this. At the end of the day, whether you agree or disagree with Sheldon's X's and O's, I think it's very clear that he fails to hold his best players accountable. Which at the end of the day is unacceptable. Not to suggest Jim Montgomery is the best coach, but we all saw what he said after game 6 regarding Pasta. I don't think there is any surprise that Pasta managed to walk away with the series clinching goal thereafter. If Sheldon is too afraid to hold his players accountable, that is a major problem. It either suggests the coach is too big of a p***y to hurt his players feelings, or that his players can't handle warranted criticism. Both of which are unacceptable.

As for the players, I really want to see some core changes by the start of next season. I don't care how "tight" this group claims to be. It is a results based industry and they have not provided any results to suggest this will work going forward. The obvious choice to move is Mitch. As talented as he is, I question his desire to put it all on the line for the team. It is no coincidence that he seemingly plays his worst hockey year over year when it matters the most. I don't get that same impression from Auston or Will. I genuinely believe in those 2.

As for JT, I am not sure there is anything we can do at this point. He still is effective in a less prominent capacity, but I think a real discussion needs to be had about his role going forward. His contract far exceeds his on ice value, but we always knew that would be the case. So I hold no animosity towards him as a person or player. JT came home to try and accomplish something special, and he will always have my respect for that reason. That said, I think his role needs to be severely altered going forward.

Like I said before, moving Mitch just seems like the logical play. We will almost certainly lose the on paper transaction of a deal involving Mitch, and I am very OK with that. I no longer live in fear of the thought that we could be getting rid of a future MVP. At the end of the day, Mitch is a top talent in the NHL and he very well could find another gear elsewhere, but at this point it is very clear that he has plateaued in Toronto. We don't need any more regular season accolades. We need guys that want to win it all.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Not if Pelley takes over his role as Leafs President, and Shanahan is being moved to another position inside the organization, and no longer responsible for guiding and deciding the direction of the hockey team.

This happens in big corporations all the time, that someone is replaced in a current role and relocated to another job instead of being fired and released.

Remember when Shanahan inserted Dubas as new GM while in turn offering Lou Lam and senior advisors position within the organization.
I think that's a long shot. It would make sense if Pelley fired Shanny and Pelley / Tre spoke on Friday. Having Shanny there just makes me think he is at least staying for rest of his contract. We all know Shanny should be fired but this report that they will speak together likely means Pelley will evaluate him for another year

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Honestly, if Sheldon is back next season it will be very hard to get excited for next season. He should have been relieved of his duties after last season and he was given one more kick at the can undeservingly. It always felt like Tre was holding that bullet in his chamber for a moment just like this. At the end of the day, whether you agree or disagree with Sheldon's X's and O's, I think it's very clear that he fails to hold his best players accountable. Which at the end of the day is unacceptable. Not to suggest Jim Montgomery is the best coach, but we all saw what he said after game 6 regarding Pasta. I don't think there is any surprise that Pasta managed to walk away with the series clinching goal thereafter. If Sheldon is too afraid to hold his players accountable, that is a major problem. It either suggests the coach is too big of a p***y to hurt his players feelings, or that his players can't handle warranted criticism. Both of which are unacceptable.

As for the players, I really want to see some core changes by the start of next season. I don't care how "tight" this group claims to be. It is a results based industry and they have not provided any results to suggest this will work going forward. The obvious choice to move is Mitch. As talented as he is, I question his desire to put it all on the line for the team. It is no coincidence that he seemingly plays his worst hockey year over year when it matters the most. I don't get that same impression from Auston or Will. I genuinely believe in those 2.

As for JT, I am not sure there is anything we can do at this point. He still is effective in a less prominent capacity, but I think a real discussion needs to be had about his role going forward. His contract far exceeds his on ice value, but we always knew that would be the case. So I hold no animosity towards him as a person or player. JT came home to try and accomplish something special, and he will always have my respect for that reason. That said, I think his role needs to be severely altered going forward.

Like I said before, moving Mitch just seems like the logical play. We will almost certainly lose the on paper transaction of a deal involving Mitch, and I am very OK with that. I no longer would live in fear that we just got rid of a future MVP. At the end of the day, Mitch is a top talent in the NHL and he very well could find another gear elsewhere, but at this point it is very clear that he has plateaued in Toronto. We don't need any more regular season accolades. We need guys that want to win it all.
He should have been relieved of his duties after the Montreal series.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Hard to disagree with that as well. He, like the players themselves, have been given way too many chances at this point.

It's time to get uncomfortable
He is a soft coach and doesn't hold players accountable. That bleeds into our players. There's a reason why we dont have success in the playoffs because its all about going all in and being tough and play with attitude. Keefe just doesn't have it.

Lets get on with this firing.

Reactions: CincoHolio

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
They'll just say that they haven't thought about it, they were focused on the playoffs.

Agree, the Arizona question was stupid.
Yeah, the Arizona question was out of place, given the occasion, but the NMC answer is exactly that.

“Haven’t thought about it.”
“Now’s not the time”

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He is a soft coach and doesn't hold players accountable. That bleeds into our players. There's a reason why we dont have success in the playoffs because its all about going all in and being tough and play with attitude. Keefe just doesn't have it.

Lets get on with this firing.
I agree with that but I don’t know if he’s allowed too. Remember, Keefe was nobody when hired for the NHL, he was more at the mercy of what the Shanaplan/Dubas wanted.
I don’t know if Keefe has that in him because it probably could never be shown here. Dubas created mommy environment.
We will see what is hired next and the response. I don’t think people will like Berube.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that's a long shot. It would make sense if Pelley fired Shanny and Pelley / Tre spoke on Friday. Having Shanny there just makes me think he is at least staying for rest of his contract. We all know Shanny should be fired but this report that they will speak together likely means Pelley will evaluate him for another year
Its possible, but also possible some of Shanahan responsibility will be transferred behind the scenes that we might not know of and Shanahan still remains the face and Pelley doing his part behind closed doors.

An example would be that Shanahan has been steadfast in his belief in the core 4 in keeping and paying and staying the course trying to build a winner around them.. However Pelley may now say enough is enough and at least 1 if not more Marner/Tavares needs to be moved out and replaced.. Easier said than done because of NMC so pulling the strings behind the scenes attempting change might be more difficult to accommodate but even though all the players are still on the stage doesn't mean things behind stage are not changing.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
we have the skill, need the system (the x's and o's) to beat teams. The will has been greatly improved and we gotta at it. bert and domi were great adds, but so were the large d.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I agree with that but I don’t know if he’s allowed too. Remember, Keefe was nobody when hired for the NHL, he was more at the mercy of what the Shanaplan/Dubas wanted.
I don’t know if Keefe has that in him because it probably could never be shown here. Dubas created mommy environment.
We will see what is hired next and the response. I don’t think people will like Berube.
I think Sheldon is a very good coach, and he’ll have success in the future. I just think his time here has run its course, and they group needs a new voice.

Digging into and reading up on Berube, I’m really not all that thrilled if he’s the hire. He stepped in to St.Louis, and they went on an all-time heater. They got bounced in 4 straight first rounds after that, I believe. We need a system change and a high level of accountability, for sure, but I’m increasingly skeptical that he’s the guy we need.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Sheldon is a very good coach, and he’ll have success in the future. I just think his time here has run its course, and they group needs a new voice.

Digging into and reading up on Berube, I’m really not all that thrilled if he’s the hire. He stepped in to St.Louis, and they went on an all-time heater. They got bounced in 4 straight first rounds after that, I believe. We need a system change and a high level of accountability, for sure, but I’m increasingly skeptical that he’s the guy we need.

Technically made the 2nd round in 2022 and lost to the cup winners Avalanche in the 2nd.

Sometimes past records is more about the team/management than the coach. Rick Tocchet made the playoffs once in 7 years of coaching, turns into a tv analyst, gets hired by the Canucks and he's already in the 2nd round.

And if Berube's past experience is not good enough -- the rest of the experienced candidates don't fair much better. They gotta hire someone. The hope is that a different team with different set of players might help and he will help the team push over the edge. Maybe it's more of the same... who knows.

Last edited:

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Its possible, but also possible some of Shanahan responsibility will be transferred behind the scenes that we might not know of and Shanahan still remains the face and Pelley doing his part behind closed doors.

An example would be that Shanahan has been steadfast in his belief in the core 4 in keeping and paying and staying the course trying to build a winner around them.. However Pelley may now say enough is enough and at least 1 if not more Marner/Tavares needs to be moved out and replaced.. Easier said than done because of NMC so pulling the strings behind the scenes attempting change might be more difficult to accommodate but even though all the players are still on the stage doesn't mean things behind stage are not changing.
Shanny is going to stay one more year at least - I dont think Pelley is getting involved in player personnel matters, but he will be involved on the business side of the Leafs. Thats why the report of redundency with President of Leafs made sense to me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don’t find Matthews or Marner particularly good at interviews but nobody is Marner level bad. Marner should only give interviews if they win, never ever under any other circumstance.

Matthews interviews like an FBI investigation. Cue cards and everything else is not getting into that.

I have to check if I’m still alive when Tavares is speaking.

Only Willy and Morgan can interview here.
Its all comes down to leadership for me..

Morgan Rielly should be wearing the "C" and Willy and "A" and be out front for the Leafs ..

In terms of players like Matthews and Marner their NMC clauses should = No More Comments (sort of like when people are forced to sign non disclosure agreements when organizations don't want someone commenting on internal affairs).

We saw this play out yesterday when JT commented on "right there" and Mo Riells disagrees with his captain.

At the start of locker room cleanout day, Leafs captain John Tavares stated that the team is "right there". This is a sentiment that is not shared by Morgan Rielly.

Rielly was under no misconceptions about what the Leafs left on the table in Game 7, blowing a golden opportunity to beat the Bruins in regulation after William Nylander opened the scoring in the 3rd period. Unfortunately, when the Leafs surrendered the lead and gave the Bruins second life just 1:21 later, it became very clear that this team isn't as prepared to go deep as many thought when they had erased a 3-1 deficit to force Game 7.

"I don't want to stand here and say we are on the doorstep of anything because we're standing here again today So how close are we? I don't know, we'll see. It seems both obtainable and a ways away." Morgan Rielly

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You're coddling him....

You realize that right?

You don't care to know what injury your 13mill/yr player had that kept him out, while other players are ready to put their bodies on the line to play in the playoffs...
Would I like to know? Of course

Do I believe I am entitled to know about someone else's medical conditions? I do not

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Its all comes down to leadership for me..

Morgan Rielly should be wearing the "C" and Willy and "A" and be out front for the Leafs ..

In terms of players like Matthews and Marner their NMC clauses should = No More Comments (sort of like when people are forced to sign non disclosure agreements when organizations don't want someone commenting on internal affairs).

We saw this play out yesterday when JT commented on "right there" and Mo Riells disagrees with his captain.

At the start of locker room cleanout day, Leafs captain John Tavares stated that the team is "right there". This is a sentiment that is not shared by Morgan Rielly.

Rielly was under no misconceptions about what the Leafs left on the table in Game 7, blowing a golden opportunity to beat the Bruins in regulation after William Nylander opened the scoring in the 3rd period. Unfortunately, when the Leafs surrendered the lead and gave the Bruins second life just 1:21 later, it became very clear that this team isn't as prepared to go deep as many thought when they had erased a 3-1 deficit to force Game 7.

"I don't want to stand here and say we are on the doorstep of anything because we're standing here again today So how close are we? I don't know, we'll see. It seems both obtainable and a ways away." Morgan Rielly
I respect that answer from Rielly. You aren’t right there. You are close and so far away at the same time is a much better analogy. Certainly one the captain doesn’t grasp. Tavares makes it sound like 1 round is the Cup. That is only 1 round out of 4. This core doesn’t have the fortitude to go 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Like I said before, moving Mitch just seems like the logical play. We will almost certainly lose the on paper transaction of a deal involving Mitch, and I am very OK with that. I no longer live in fear of the thought that we could be getting rid of a future MVP. At the end of the day, Mitch is a top talent in the NHL and he very well could find another gear elsewhere, but at this point it is very clear that he has plateaued in Toronto. We don't need any more regular season accolades. We need guys that want to win it all.
MLSE has been afraid of making a deal involving the core mostly because of the worry of having it look bad, than the fact they want to bet on talent and keep them together. It was evident that Marner had to go after his Montreal meltdown and yet we still kept them together. All the GM's are afraid of big deals because they are so rare and often scrutinized for years afterwards.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
To add to my earlier post, in a vacuum I actually loved the way this particular group played this post season. I don't want that to be lost in my disappointment or desire for change.

This group battled. The played hard right until the very end, and despite all that they still found the same results. One can only imagine what would have been with this team if they even had a marginally average PK and/or PP. Or get any production from Mitch. Because in spite of those flaws, they were 1 bounce away from changing the narrative.

The sad part about being 1 bounce away is that this organization uses that as a building block from previous years shortcomings. For example;

2021 - Game 7 against the Habs, we were no shows. Failure of epic proportion.

2022 - Game 7 loss to Bolts. Hard fought series. Hard fought game 7. Respect in handshake = progress

2023 - win R1 series, but we received every bounce imaginable to make it happen. Seemingly every 50/50 bounce fell in our favor. Progress

2024 - physically stepped up. Played patient hockey for the most part. Showed heart and passion. All in all played a great series with tons of positives. Could not buy a bounce or a save. Progress.

The problem with this "progress" is that it is just an illusion of progress. We are always in the same spot of requiring a bounce here, or a save there to get the positive result. And although those 2 things may occur from time to time like it did in R1 2023, in the long term you cannot expect to win with that variability.

We need to put players on the ice who demand control of their outcome. Win the games well in advance of a good or bad bounce in your direction. As close as we have been the last little bit, we are very clearly still in the same spot looking for different results. I want change not because I think the players are bad, or not proven "winners". But collectively we fail to take control of moments, games, and series far too often and then blame it on a bad bounce.

Do we actually think teams like TB, Chicago, and Pitt during their Stanley Cup heydays never had a bad bounce? Of course they did. They just played well enough to not allow 1 or multiple bad breaks to define their entire season.

Like I said at the top, maybe if we converted at more than 4.8% on the PP or killed at a greater than 64% on the PK the series might actually not come down to a Bounce here or a save there.

It's time to start taking control of our own narrative.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
BTW...is beating us in the playoffs some kind of Super Mario Power Up? How is it that literally everyone who beats us gets to the final afterwards? Like WTF...

Reactions: Duffman955

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Shanny is going to stay one more year at least - I dont think Pelley is getting involved in player personnel matters, but he will be involved on the business side of the Leafs. Thats why the report of redundency with President of Leafs made sense to me.
If Marner says "I'm looking to re-sign in the $12 mil range on my next deal" would/could it Shanahan or Pelly that gets last or more important say on what happens.

Pelley might in fact tell GM Treliving play hardball and attempt to move on from Marner and force change because a new/next contract is not coming.

Moving Marner would not be a universally supported decison by magement nor many fans, but with Shanny still sitting in the Presidents seat it would be the blood on his hands so to speak while Pelley behind the scenes pulling the strings and keeping his hands clean.

If Pelley were to directly replace Shanny in that role then all the focus and heat and accountability would be on him. Just because we can't see change on the surface, doesn't mean a lot of change in happening below the surface..

Leafs management represented by a Duck.

1715092570385.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad