GDT: Avs @ Yotes - 5:00PM - Zero Star GDT.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Goaltending is ****ed in the NHL right now lol. At least it isn't just us..

Yeah, and the good news about our struggles right now, is that a lot of other teams around us in the West are also struggling. Nashville has lost 3 straight, Minnesota is 0-3-1 now in the last 4 games. Dallas just snapped a losing streak beating Minnesota last night. Anaheim has lost 3 straight. Edmonton losers of 2 straight.

Really need to get this ship back on track after the break but at least we haven't lost major ground the last 2 weeks. Still only 2 points back of Nashville.

I want Frankie to start the next game.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, and the good news about our struggles right now, is that a lot of other teams around us in the West are also struggling. Nashville has lost 3 straight, Minnesota is 0-3-1 now in the last 4 games. Dallas just snapped a losing streak beating Minnesota last night. Anaheim has lost 3 straight. Edmonton losers of 2 straight.

Really need to get this ship back on track after the break but at least we haven't lost major ground the last 2 weeks. Still only 2 points back of Nashville.

They need this break too, and the moment the bell rings Sakic needs to be making the trade call.

I think our top line is drunk right now from being over played. The whole team for that matter is too with the way our road schedule has been though. I also don't think Bednar's system makes it any easier. The team is a very character team with great work ethic, and that probably just adds to their lack of energy on some nights.

Reactions: klozge

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Lots of problems. For starters, inability to clear the puck out of the defensive zone... drives one crazy. Transition into offensive zone.. predictable, a yawn. Teams can watch a couple mins of film and have the Avs figured out on their non existent transition play. Lack of that is.

Top of the heap problem however is... this team lacks grit. There is a difference between hair on fire and grit. This team lacks grit in a big way. As said before.. the most exciting mediocre team in the NHL. Correction.. this team is well on its way to being less than mediocre.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Honestly, with the rest of the teams we're contending with losing as well, it's actually been a great week. Most of the lottery teams have thrown together a few wins and are gaining ground on the Sens.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly, with the rest of the teams we're contending with losing as well, it's actually been a great week. Most of the lottery teams have thrown together a few wins and are gaining ground on the Sens.

Wouldn't call it great. Win these last 2 games and we're tops in the Central right now.

But it's definitely made the week a little easier to handle knowing our eventual competition for a playoff spot isn't gaining ground right now at least(Anaheim, Minnesota, are the two especially I suspect we'll be in battle with for a playoff spot come March month).

Ottawa falling down the standings is nice as well.

Top line needs this break though. They haven't been sharp the last few games now and it's probably because they're being over played and asked to do too much. Which kind of just magnifies the underlying issue at hand with this team, and that's the need for a legit 2nd line to take pressure off that top unit.

The quicker Sakic can make a move for Hayes the better.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Lots of problems. For starters, inability to clear the puck out of the defensive zone... drives one crazy. Transition into offensive zone.. predictable, a yawn. Teams can watch a couple mins of film and have the Avs figured out on their non existent transition play. Lack of that is.

Top of the heap problem however is... this team lacks grit. There is a difference between hair on fire and grit. This team lacks grit in a big way. As said before.. the most exciting mediocre team in the NHL. Correction.. this team is well on its way to being less than mediocre.
The team isn't "well on its way to becoming less than mediocre". Nothing supports that claim. They've had some defensive lapses and bad goaltending. They are miles ahead of mediocre teams, and have a very bright future.

Everyone needs to calm down with this gloom and doom nonsense. The team is in a good spot, and bad periods happen to every team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I remember a few weeks ago someone made the comment that "Good teams done lose multiple games in a row"

Nashville has lost 3 straight now, Toronto recently lost 3 straight as well I believe(Or 3 of 4 if not). Even the best teams in the league will experience tough stretches over the course of an 82 game season.

The Avs are going through a tough stretch right now. What's important is how we respond to this stretch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I remember a few weeks ago someone made the comment that "Good teams done lose multiple games in a row"

Nashville has lost 3 straight now, Toronto recently lost 3 straight as well I believe(Or 3 of 4 if not). Even the best teams in the league will experience tough stretches over the course of an 82 game season.

The Avs are going through a tough stretch right now. What's important is how we respond to this stretch.

There is going to be a lot more volatility too if goal scoring stays up like it is. Being able to score can cover up a lot of shit. Then add in the inconsistent goal-tending, NHL scheduling lately, and speed game everyone is playing. More fatigue, more goals, more volatility.

I actually think these week long breaks the NHLPA have pushed for has made the schedules f***ed up. They are just doing sprints between breaks now instead of a marathon. I'm not really sure which is better, but the players asked for it so..

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The problem isn't lack of grit. God's sake, this team has plenty of "grit." What it's lacking right now is skill. Also doesn't help that the defense has simply not been nearly as good as it should be this year.

Grubauer played fine. The defensive breakdowns tonight were inexcusable. Patrik Nemeth is playing his way back to the press box, and Anton Lindholm is playing his way out of North America. Glad to see Frankie came in cold and played fantastically and at least gave the team a very much-needed spark.

Overall though this team is failing in all facets. Offense, defense, special teams, and yes, coaching are all sub-par right now. They deserve a break, and holy shit do they need it. And so do I. Rest, recharge, and for the love of God, let's see a different gameplan going forward.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
The team isn't "well on its way to becoming less than mediocre". Nothing supports that claim. They've had some defensive lapses and bad goaltending. They are miles ahead of mediocre teams, and have a very bright future.

Everyone needs to calm down with this gloom and doom nonsense. The team is in a good spot, and bad periods happen to every team.

No. This team lacks grit. We can proffer explanations all day long. But this team lacks grit.

Further example. Watched Army play Houston in the Armed Forces Bowl. Army teams always outmanned, outweighed, out-a lot of things. Yes, they won by a huge margin. Not the point. What announcers and commentators constantly reflected on was Army has grit. You can see it. Not the score. In the team. And of course this is what you want in members of the armed forces for sure. A core characteristic that describes some teams irrespective of the sports, discipline. Grit.

A word that I would not attribute to the Avs.

Hair on fire. Yes. Grit. No.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, I'm glad I missed this one.

I will say, MacK in the third period might be worth watching. He got so pissed that it went beyond his frustration, and made him play in a way he hasn't for a while.

In one shift he laid a dude out, and then deked to the net and sniped a goal. It made at least casually sitting through the game worth it.

I totally stopped paying close attention after the first period. I never walk away completely myself, but sometimes I'm more active in the GDT and surf the net if they're playing like shit. I've got the benefit of a metal desk and laptop right next to my recliner in the man cave. So I don't have to choose.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Apparently a goalie coming in for a relief can give his team a chance to win a game.

I don't want to jump a gun but Francouz will be the guy giving us a chance to compete for the Cup. He showed much more NHL starting goalie potential than Grubauer has shown in his time with Avs. Grubauer is slow compared to Francouz and Varly and also he has hard time tracking the puck through traffic. Grubauer has posted good numbers under Trotz's system where goalie doesn't have to bail out defensive mistakes all the time.

Right now Avs pay $9,23 for their goalie tandem. In ideal situation for the next season Varly takes a discount contract with a cap hit of 5 million or below and Francouz signs two year prove it deal with cap hit of 2 million. That would be seven million for goalies but I think Grubauer and Francouz will be the tandem because Sakic paid to get Grubauer and Grubauer will be cheaper than Varly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Apparently a goalie coming in for a relief can give his team a chance to win a game.

I don't want to jump a gun but Francouz will be the guy giving us a chance to compete for the Cup. He showed much more NHL starting goalie potential than Grubauer has shown in his time with Avs. Grubauer is slow compared to Francouz and Varly and also he has hard time tracking the puck through traffic. Grubauer has posted good numbers under Trotz's system where goalie doesn't have to bail out defensive mistakes all the time.

Right now Avs pay $9,23 for their goalie tandem. In ideal situation for the next season Varly takes a discount contract with a cap hit of 5 million or below and Francouz signs two year prove it deal with cap hit of 2 million. That would be seven million for goalies but I think Grubauer and Francouz will be the tandem because Sakic paid to get Grubauer and Grubauer will be cheaper than Varly.

Varly will really have to prove himself in the second half for that to happen. Not impossible, but I'm not sure Varly will look like himself at peak during this season based on what I've read about the hip surgeries for top guys and their struggles for the year following. Grub has some of the best numbers in the NHL over the last years, and I'm not ready to write that off on a single coach/system just yet. Washington has had their flaws during his time with them, and isn't exactly the same type of team as a Nashville, STL, or Boston IMO.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I will say, MacK in the third period might be worth watching. He got so pissed that it went beyond his frustration, and made him play in a way he hasn't for a while.

In one shift he laid a dude out, and then deked to the net and sniped a goal. It made at least casually sitting through the game worth it.

I totally stopped paying close attention after the first period. I never walk away completely myself, but sometimes I'm more active in the GDT and surf the net if they're playing like ****. I've got the benefit of a metal desk and laptop right next to my recliner in the man cave. So I don't have to choose.

Just watched the game highlights and saw his goal in the 3rd, was unreal. He was in beast mode.

I was expecting very crappy goals from Grubi but that wasn't the case surprisingly. First one was on the soft side but that puck shouldn't even have been in play since Lindholm prevented him to freeze it. Unfortunately the real stinker came from Francouz on the GWG. Damn. So close to get at least a point...this shouldn't go in.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We've known it all along, when the top line is cold like they are currently (and they aren't even that "cold" points wise), this team is going to fail. There just isn't enough talent behind them to help them out when they don't win us games. Soderberg does all he can for this team but I can't even count how many glorious chances Calvert/Nieto have missed off of his passes. The kids are up and down, and the rest like Andrighetto/Dries/Wilson/Bourque/etc just aren't good.

This team needs a 2nd line in the worst way. JTC is doing all he can, but he can't do it alone.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Kerfoot/Hayes/Compher would be a sick second line. Swap Jost in when someone falters or gets hurt, but ideally he could then play on the wing with Soderberg. Maybe in this scenario I've also stuffed Calvert into my suitcase and just dropped him off in Montreal on the way to see my family for Christmas in Sherbrooke. I'm willing to do that for the team. I can't remember Air Canada's oversize luggage policy but surely we can come to some kind of understanding.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Just watched the game highlights and saw his goal in the 3rd, was unreal. He was in beast mode.

I was expecting very crappy goals from Grubi but that wasn't the case surprisingly. First one was on the soft side but that puck shouldn't even have been in play since Lindholm prevented him to freeze it. Unfortunately the real stinker came from Francouz on the GWG. Damn. So close to get at least a point...this shouldn't go in.

Replay it looks bad, but I wouldn't even call that stinker. Richardson shot it when there were 4 players in the way of him and the puck, and then shot it in between the legs of an Avs player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad