GDT: Avs @ Yotes - 5:00PM - Zero Star GDT.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That was kind of rude thing to say by me but calling Varly average goalie at best is nonsense.
What makes him better than average? There’s never been consistency with him. His best year came in a contract year and up until the last few weeks, it looked like he was going to follow it up again in another contract year. He’s not a top 10 goalie and is just a middle of the road guy. Hence...average.

There’s no doubt he can steal games but when you never know what Varly you’re going to get year to year, how much does that matter?

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
What makes him better than average? There’s never been consistency with him. His best year came in a contract year and up until the last few weeks, it looked like he was going to follow it up again in another contract year. He’s not a top 10 goalie and is just a middle of the road guy. Hence...average.

There’s no doubt he can steal games but when you never know what Varly you’re going to get year to year, how much does that matter?

A lot of posters claim that Varly is inconsistent.

NHL.com - Stats

There are stats summarized from season 11-12 to this date. Varly has save percentage of 91,6% while playing for Avs. Rinne, Quick and Vasilevsky have 91,8% in the same time span. Bobrovsky and Lundqvist have save percentage of 92,0% and Holtby and Price have save percentage of 91,9% in the same time span.

Varly's save percentage isn't as bad as people think it is and considering all the injuries and that he hasn't had full time goalie coach with Avs his numbers are quite respectable. None of those goalies I mentioned hasn't had to endure Nate Guenin pointing and blocking view from a goalie for couple of seasons. All the goalies mentioned above have had decent defensive system and corps in front of them. Varly has been asked to stand on his head way too many times and he has given us chance to win games where Avs should have been blown out badly.

U guys should seriously give some credit to Varly and try to remember what Avs had in the net after Roy retired. Sorry if there is some spelling errors because I had to write this on my phone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

NHL.com - Stats

There are stats summarized from season 11-12 to this date. Varly has save percentage of 91,6% while playing for Avs. Rinne, Quick and Vasilevsky have 91,8% in the same time span. Bobrovsky and Lundqvist have save percentage of 92,0% and Holtby and Price have save percentage of 91,9% in the same time span.

Varly's save percentage isn't as bad as people think it is and considering all the injuries and that he hasn't had full time goalie coach with Avs his numbers are quite respectable. None of those goalies I mentioned hasn't had to endure Nate Guenin pointing and blocking view from a goalie for couple of seasons. All the goalies mentioned above have had decent defensive system and corps in front of them. Varly has been asked to stand on his head way too many times and he has given us chance to win games where Avs should have been blown out badly.

U guys should seriously give some credit to Varly and try to remember what Avs had in the net after Roy retired. Sorry if there is some spelling errors because I had to write this on my phone.

A player can be inconsistent and still put up average stats... Varly's highs are very high, and his lows are very low.... when it averages out, Varly's numbers are average. Names right with Varly are Howard, Smith, Miller, Talbot... the who's who of average goaltending. In the world of NHL goaltending, .003 can be there difference between average and elite... and average and on the verge of being run out of the league.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

NHL.com - Stats

I'm with ya brother , some people just like to be contrary :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->