GDT: Avs @ Yotes - 5:00PM - Zero Star GDT.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I know I know... It's just such a tease. I keep expecting him to return to the magic season form.

Plus he has such pure potential it's hard to give that up. But I know he's most likely done here.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Varly is certainly a tease.

I really hope we get an extended look at Frankie before the deadline though. I liked what I saw from him in his period+ of hockey last night, and even the goal he gave up while it was a softy, you cant entirely blame him for it either. Four Avs defenders were lined up between him and the shot making it very hard to see on a play that 10000% should have been cleared out of the zone to begin with.

Give Frankie a few games and if he's putting up solid numbers, all of a sudden you can have a legit trade chip in Varly at the deadline that could be used for help from another team. Especially if we do make a play for a guy like Hayes or Stone.

Reactions: klozge

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Varly turns 31 in a few months, recently had groin and hip surgery, and is five years removed from his career year. It might be tough to move on if Grubauer doesn't show he can carry the load but I wouldn't pay him. There's far too much risk there and at this point, I'm not sure if the reward is even worth it based on his last few years.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Average goalie at best??? Cmon... When he's healthy and on his game he's one of the best.
Yes, he’s an average goalie. He’s not consistent when healthy, and he gets hurt pretty much every year. He had one awesome year and then what?

Saying “when he’s on his game he’s one of the best” could apply to any goalie. When there isn’t consistency does it matter a ton?

Reactions: UncleRisto

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do people really expect Stone though? That seems like a pipedream to me.

I'd say the chances of signing Stone are about the same as our chances to sign Tavares last summer (ie: won't even listen). Still more plausible than Radulov or Panarin though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Who would be better though? Grubauer/Frank tandem? There isn't really great options in UFA this year.

You go with Grubauer/Francouz unless Grubauer absolutely shits the bed this year, like Jake Allen levels. Knock on wood that doesn't happen.

It seems pretty clear, and has been clear since the day they traded for Grubauer, that that's the front office's plan. The coach, as he is wont to do, went with the devil he knew out of training camp, even though technically Francouz outperformed Grubauer and Varlamov but whatever. In any case, his choice was justified while Varlamov was performing well, but since he's stumbled really badly the door is open for Grubauer to take the starting job, and I think we're seeing him do that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You go with Grubauer/Francouz unless Grubauer absolutely ****s the bed this year, like Jake Allen levels. Knock on wood that doesn't happen.

It seems pretty clear, and has been clear since the day they traded for Grubauer, that that's the front office's plan. The coach, as he is wont to do, went with the devil he knew out of training camp, even though technically Francouz outperformed Grubauer and Varlamov but whatever. In any case, his choice was justified while Varlamov was performing well, but since he's stumbled really badly the door is open for Grubauer to take the starting job, and I think we're seeing him do that.

Unfortunately Varly playing like dog shit makes him pretty much useless here or in trade lol.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Unfortunately Varly playing like dog **** makes him pretty much useless here or in trade lol.

He can suck it up and be a backup and try to win the job back the way Grubauer did! Or, if Francouz winds up showing something, they could explore the market for him. One thing about goalies is that some teams get so desperate they'll go for anything. For some reason, GMs bite way more on the "at the top of his game he's one of the best!" fallacy for goalies than any other position.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Man that small sample size really extrapolated for you.

Varly is an average goalie at best and has been for several years. Not interested in another big money deal with him.

Yeah uhm...

I Think I have better thing to do than argue about goaltending with a guy who seems to have zero knowledge about goaltending.

Look at Varly's stats with Avs and then look what kind of defense corps Varly has had in front of him. Also keep in mind that Parkkila is the first full time goaltending coach the Avs have since we traded for Varlamov. Those things should give you some perspective.

Reactions: Piestany88

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Do people really expect Stone though? That seems like a pipedream to me.

Actually, why not. We have need, we're on the rise (and hopefully a playoff team this season too) and we have cap space. It's a lot more likely than Tavares was last season.

I think it's realistic to expect one of Stone/Panarin/Karlsson/Hayes (I know, not the same level as the first three) to be an Av next autumn. Not guaranteed but if I pull a number out of my ass it's 50-50.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Varly turns 31 in a few months, recently had groin and hip surgery, and is five years removed from his career year. It might be tough to move on if Grubauer doesn't show he can carry the load but I wouldn't pay him. There's far too much risk there and at this point, I'm not sure if the reward is even worth it based on his last few years.
Varly has been good every year and was excellent last year especially the 2nd half .

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, he’s an average goalie. He’s not consistent when healthy, and he gets hurt pretty much every year. He had one awesome year and then what?

Saying “when he’s on his game he’s one of the best” could apply to any goalie. When there isn’t consistency does it matter a ton?
Varly has always been excellent , yes he's gotten hurt but what goalie hasn't? Hopefully his groin injuries are behind him .

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
He can suck it up and be a backup and try to win the job back the way Grubauer did! Or, if Francouz winds up showing something, they could explore the market for him. One thing about goalies is that some teams get so desperate they'll go for anything. For some reason, GMs bite way more on the "at the top of his game he's one of the best!" fallacy for goalies than any other position.

Grubauer hasn't taken the starting job and ran with it. And no the front office's plan was to bring in Grubauer to play 30 or so games so not to overplay Varly

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
He was planned to be the successor to Varly.
In case Varly walks but not planned. They needed a back upand didn't want what happened in the playoffs last year , so they brought Francouz in too. They've never stated Grubauer was going to take over from Varly or that it was the plan.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
In case Varly walks but not planned. They needed a back upand didn't want what happened in the playoffs last year , so they brought Francouz in too. They've never stated Grubauer was going to take over from Varly or that it was the plan.
Obviously not... considering Varly is still here. It'd be pretty bush league for Sakic to come out and say " Yeah this is your replacement, Semyon"

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously not... considering Varly is still here. It'd be pretty bush league for Sakic to come out and say " Yeah this is your replacement, Semyon"
True anyhow , we will see this summer , I really wish the Avs drafted Skarek though , I have a feeling he's gonna play well in the WJC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad