• Kraken in 6

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Kraken in 7

Votes: 21 9.2%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have a lot more faith in him than any goaler since Varlamov. Grubauer was very good at times here but always had consistency issues and I think we'll see some of that in round 2.
I think Grubi gets too much hate for his play here. I'd also say Varly gets too much credit. All 3 of them kinda like in the middle tier of starting goalies. Not elite guys (though might have a career year or two like one), but not guys who are outright terrible either.

Personally, I wouldn't want to count on any of these names in a Game 7... but that's what you get when you don't pay top dollar for goalies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not posting in that GDT again. That goal off of Meyers' hand is the only thing that could have ended this season. An absolute nonsense.

I think I agree with most of the assessments I've seen in here. The depth is obviously terrible. We all knew it was going to be an uphill struggle with that in mind. I also didn't think Georgiev was great, there were multiple games where I thought he should have saved shots he let in.

It was a difficult season for a lot of reasons and the team achieved a lot of things to enjoy at the time and be proud of later. I don't really have anything else to add.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
O’Reilly vibes.

A Flames deal next, just like O’Reilly? @The Kingslayer
I was having an interesting conversation with some friends that are big hockey fans around the future of the Avalanche with players like Makar and Rantanen having deals coming up.

It won't sit well but what happens if you trade Makar? With his health taken into consideration, and future career, is the haul worth clearing up the cap space before he has a down turn?

Reactions: Alienblood

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I was having an interesting conversation with some friends that are big hockey fans around the future of the Avalanche with players like Makar and Rantanen having deals coming up.

It won't sit well but what happens if you trade Makar? With his health taken into consideration, and future career, is the haul worth clearing up the cap space before he has a down turn?
No.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Something to definitely consider

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
My personal feelings are there are 2 untouchables on this team, Makar and Mack. Landy is close, but who knows what his future holds. Everyone else is fair game for the right price. Rants would have to land us something really significant, ditto with Byram.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

No, you don't trade the best defenseman in the NHL.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1682970126252.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No. You do not trade a borderline-generational talent and the best defenseman who has ever donned this particular jersey. You will never find another player of that caliber to build a blueline around unless you are insanely lucky.

If he's injured, he's injured. You just deal with the fallout and if indeed it cuts his career short, then when it's time, you blow it up and start over. But MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, and Landeskog are one of the best cores in the NHL. You can't take one of those guys away without making yourself significantly worse in the short term and by the time you get back up to speed, the rest of that core will be too old.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

You don’t trade Makar… that’s moronic.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Keep Makar at all costs. He's arguably our best player who had a bad year due to injuries. I wouldn't consider him injury prone either because whatever was going on with his wrist happened last playoffs and likely lingered due to the short offseason and getting hit in the head off a bad play was just unfortunate to happen.

Untouchables IMO: Mack, Mikko, Makar, maybe Byram

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Keep Makar at all costs. He's arguably our best player who had a bad year due to injuries. I wouldn't consider him injury prone either because whatever was going on with his wrist happened last playoffs and likely lingered due to the short offseason and getting hit in the head off a bad play was just unfortunate to happen.

As a general question... when do we get to injury prone? Is it 10% of a season lost consistently? 15%? 25%? Where is that line?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
As a general question... when do we get to injury prone? Is it 10% of a season lost consistently? 15%? 25%? Where is that line?

To me, injury prone is close to Foppa, who would miss large chunks every season.

In the case of Makar, if we consider him injury prone we would have to call Mack injury prone as he seems to miss time every season too.

But everyone here may have a different definition than I do so who knows :laugh:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Look at his 4 year track record. Last year was his only healthy season.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Look at his 4 year track record. Last year was his only healthy season.

Right, but as with my example from my previous post, the last 5 years Mack has missed at least 12 games per season, so he could be considered somewhat injury prone as well in the context of this discussion

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To me, injury prone is close to Foppa, who would miss large chunks every season.

In the case of Makar, if we consider him injury prone we would have to call Mack injury prone as he seems to miss time every season too.

But everyone here may have a different definition than I do so who knows :laugh:

It is really a matter of definition and where that line is can be tricky. Makar has missed 18% of his regular season games so far in his career. Which puts him at an average over an 82 game season of 15 missed. Over the same timeframe, MacK has missed 13% of his games... which is about 11 per 82. To me, I'd say both kinda push that injury prone limit. If Makar gets over 20%, I don't think there is much debate then.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Right, but as with my example from my previous post, the last 5 years Mack has missed at least 12 games per season, so he could be considered somewhat injury prone as well in the context of this discussion
I think Makar has missed a good chunk more.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Anyone think the multiple concussions from the Carter hit, and then the St. Louis game following his comeback, had any lasting effects?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

So here are the Foppa numbers as an Avs/Nordique (excluding the comebacks). Foppa could have played 786 games in total. This includes the full season he missed to come back for the playoffs. Foppa played in 580 games. Meaning he missed 26% of games. The full season kinda skews that though from the year to year basis. Pulling those games out, Foppa missed on average 18% of his games. Or in other words, basically the same as Makar on a yearly basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad