Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Kraken in 7

Votes: 21 9.2%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Neither EJ or JJ should come back. Avs have 6D right now assuming Byram is signed and Dermy stays (and is used on D). Malinski is a guy who could slot nicely into a RD spot. The Avs also have Middleton who has taken nice steps forward and could factor in as well. If you need a more NHL sure thing, grab Mackey off the UFA market.

Reactions: Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ and JJ are lightyears better than MacDermid and Middleton.

Would be way too risky to go into the season with them as 7 and 8 D and a rookie 6D.

Especially with this teams annual injury problems. You'd end up with them playing a top 4 role about a month into the season.

Any team would be lucky to have EJ or JJ as depth defenseman. They're much better than the typical 7th or 8th defenseman you're gonna find on the cheap.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
This year we arguably had worst depth then the year iced the kid line of Jost- Kerfoot- Compher as our 2nd line. Watching the bottom 9 trying to do anything was mind numbingly sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiarelli

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Would be way too risky to go into the season with them as 7 and 8 D and a rookie 6D.

Especially with this teams annual injury problems. You'd end up with them playing a top 4 role about a month into the season.

Any team would be lucky to have EJ or JJ as depth defenseman. They're much better than the typical 7th or 8th defenseman you're gonna find on the cheap.
I don't think EJ is going to take close to $1M. I think he's still going to be looking for a contract around $1.5 - $2M and there will probably be a team out there that will be ready to give it to him. That team, should NOT be the Avs.

I mean, if you get into a Giordano kind of situation where he's accepting a contract making $800K - I wouldn't be against it as long as he's not relied on and knows that he won't be playing every night.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
EJ can’t skate and not just because of a current injury. Thank him for all he’s done and please move on. I can’t watch the slip and slide defense and him chasing guys around in the defensive zone because he can’t keep up.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
EJ can’t skate and not just because of a current injury. Thank him for all he’s done and please move on. I can’t watch the slip and slide defense and him chasing guys around in the defensive zone because he can’t keep up.
Yup. The dudes cooked. He was a great servant for the team and I'm glad that he got his cup with the Avs last season. But that should be it for his on ice Avs career. He has a job in the org if he wants no doubt, but if he wants to play it should be elsewhere.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
JJ imo is a fair amount better than EJ nowadays. If we're gonna keep 1 of them around for 1 more year, I hope it's JJ. He can still skate pretty well.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I would prefer to simply tell EJ and JMFJ to heal and stay in shape. IF they want and we feel the need, we could sign them on trade-deadline day for pro-rated contracts for the final push and playoffs.

I really wish Gudas could play LD. I would love to sign him this summer to play along Malinsky. Especially since I believe Toews (or possible Girard) will be dealt at the draft in our search for a 2C.

Byram/Toews-Makar
Girard/Byram-Manson
Gudas-Merkley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trade MacDermid for a late pick, bring back JJ at 800k for one year. Let EJ retire.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, yes but......I wish Pierre had traded my favorite Av of all time rather than lose him for nothing, which is what actually happened.
You cannot possibly fault the Avs for losing Foote and Forsberg when literally NO ONE knew what the future landscape was going to look like, and wouldn't know for nearly two years since of course the lockout erased an entire year of hockey. In fact the Avs had made preparations for that season that never happened and signed Vinny Damphousse to be their 3rd line center. That might have been a fun year. At that time, the cap did not exist. Once it did, then the Avs knew they couldn't bring back a few guys.

People need to get over the "lose a player for nothing" thing. It's not nearly as big a deal as y'all make it out to be. It's much, much worse when players are dealt in their primes for middling returns than an older player leaving via free agency. I mean, should the Avs have dealt away Nazem Kadri the final year of his deal or maybe just let it ride? There's something to be said about a player knowing he's in a contract year and using that to your advantage.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You cannot possibly fault the Avs for losing Foote and Forsberg when literally NO ONE knew what the future landscape was going to look like, and wouldn't know for nearly two years since of course the lockout erased an entire year of hockey. In fact the Avs had made preparations for that season that never happened and signed Vinny Damphousse to be their 3rd line center. That might have been a fun year. At that time, the cap did not exist. Once it did, then the Avs knew they couldn't bring back a few guys.

People need to get over the "lose a player for nothing" thing. It's not nearly as big a deal as y'all make it out to be. It's much, much worse when players are dealt in their primes for middling returns than an older player leaving via free agency. I mean, should the Avs have dealt away Nazem Kadri the final year of his deal or maybe just let it ride? There's something to be said about a player knowing he's in a contract year and using that to your advantage.
Also, I believe it was the fact that there were cash bonuses owed to Sakic and Blake, which the NHL made part of our cap hit coming out of the lockout. That's what caused us from signing one of Forsberg or Foote. We probably would have lost at least one of them regardless with the cap.

I love PL and everything he did for the Avalanche. But he never really understood how to run a team in the cap era.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the players had accepted a 42.5m cap, one of Forsberg or Foote would have stayed. The $39m cap meant there was no real way to keep either.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, I believe it was the fact that there were cash bonuses owed to Sakic and Blake, which the NHL made part of our cap hit coming out of the lockout. That's what caused us from signing one of Forsberg or Foote. We probably would have lost at least one of them regardless with the cap.

I love PL and everything he did for the Avalanche. But he never really understood how to run a team in the cap era.

Eh, he did far, FAR better than Lou Lamoriello has, and I'm counting Lou's stints in Toronto and Long Island too. I actually liked some of the moves he made, just some low-key signings that fit in surprisingly well, and they had a coach at the time (Q) who got the most out of them. That was not a contending roster, but they likely would've gone farther than they did had Svatos and Turgeon stayed healthy. Those two were a goddamned force. I'd argue the Avs have never had a net-front scorer before or since who was better.

The problem was not in maneuvering the cap, it was more so that the core lost some key pieces, those who remained got old, and Lacroix made far and away his worst call as GM by anointing a completely-inexperienced Tony Granato as his head coach. And we know now that with the cap, you can't get away with bad drafting, and Lacroix's was quite bad at that point.

There was confusion regarding the bonuses and, at least according to the Avs, the league waffled on those as well. They initially said a bonus due Blake would not count against the cap, then informed them later that it would, by then I believe the Avs had no chance of trading him.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021

I like the idea of maybe Clifton, how much salary are we looking at with him ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad