GDT: Avs @ Stars | Emergency GDT | 1:30 MT | Disappointment Edition

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The only thing that sucks about this is its too late to tank for Bedard. Who else in the Top 10 of this upcoming draft can we get?

You found it haha
Sheeeeeittt....Miko has a diamond encrusted Cup ring, millions & millions of dollars/euros in the bank, and a drop-dead gorgeous blonde Finn girlfriend waiting at home for him, while this nobody Texas cowpatty thinks he's cool razzing him? Ok Dusty...or Wyatt...or Colton (or whatever your cowboy wannabe name is), slurp down another Lone Star Lite and enjoy your weekend before you (and Dad--Buck) head back to your dead-end sheetmetal worker jobs on Monday.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Isn't Jamie Benn amazing?
jamie benn is easily the biggest sack of shit in the entire NHL. What a f***in' joke - he waits until his team is up 6-2 and then takes a run and charges a guy - and then the moron rednecks dallas pieces of shit give him a standing ovation.

Something ATROCIOUS is going to happen to jamie benn at some point and it may only be 10 years after he retires but when it does, I'm going to giggle my MF ass off. He has spit square in lady karma's face WAYYYYYY too many times for him to continually just keep getting away with it.

Pretty funny to hear the broadcast lamenting about Luke f***ing Glendening. Stars have no injuries.

They have lost 40 man-games to injury this season compared to our 333. Out of those 40 - a good portion of that is backup Wedgewood, Gurianov who they dumped and some plug named gavin white.

There's still 1/4 of the season to go - we'll see how that stands when they playoffs are ready to start. It would be such a shame if a couple of their best players were out at the most important time. Such a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I'm worried that this team might not even make the playoffs, it's unlikely but it's certainly possible at this point.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm worried that this team might not even make the playoffs, it's unlikely but it's certainly possible at this point.
At this point I think they will make it. They might not if mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar, Toews and Girard all a sudden get injured at the same time or even just Georgiev gets hurt they are done. Could happen with this team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, I cannot get over how bad E-Rod has gotten. If he was looking for that payday the Penguins denied him he can forget about that. He was directly responsible for the first Stars goal, then failed to challenge the shooter on the second. Bednar pinned his ass to the fourth line after that.

I don’t necessarily think Eller has been bad (he won more puck battles than a lot of Avs today, but that’s not saying much) but for some reason his addition feels more disruptive than it has been helpful.

Anyway, not the end of the world but last two games have been disappointing efforts to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I chose to get blitzed last night rather than tuning in. A brilliant decision on my part.
Minus this hangover, maybe.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
At this point I think they will make it. They might not if mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar, Toews and Girard all a sudden get injured at the same time or even just Georgiev gets hurt they are done. Could happen with this team.

At this point it´s playing russian roulette in Goal. If Georgie goes down, this season is over. Unfortunately the backup fits the AVS regarding "injuriy-prone. "

I will forever be grateful and make a yearly sacrifice to the hockey gods that they spared us last season when it mattered most (beside Kadri for a part of the run) and we got it done.

Oh, and i really hope there are going to be major changes on the medical staff. This madness has to stop. It´s not just being unlucky at this point.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Didnt catch this game thankfully just xurious how Domi looked ?
Like a guy who just joined a new team and still hasn't figured out how to play within that system yet. He had a few miscues early in the game but apart from that wasn't really noticeable which is to be expected.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man, I cannot get over how bad E-Rod has gotten. If he was looking for that payday the Penguins denied him he can forget about that. He was directly responsible for the first Stars goal, then failed to challenge the shooter on the second. Bednar pinned his ass to the fourth line after that.

I don’t necessarily think Eller has been bad (he won more puck battles than a lot of Avs today, but that’s not saying much) but for some reason his addition feels more disruptive than it has been helpful.

Anyway, not the end of the world but last two games have been disappointing efforts to say the least.
I mean the dude's been a career 4th liner basically his entire career. Last year was clearly an anomaly and now he's expected to be a full time 2nd liner. Not surprised in the least he's been awful.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean the dude's been a career 4th liner basically his entire career. Last year was clearly an anomaly and now he's expected to be a full time 2nd liner. Not surprised in the least he's been awful.
I disagree with that assessment. He’s always been a good 3rd liner, going back to his Buffalo days. Last year was a fluke for sure but that doesn’t mean he’s just a scrub. Can’t help but wonder if the injuries he’s suffered this season have finally taken a toll. We know for sure he’s been asked to do way too much, but the dropoff in 2023 has been precipitous.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I disagree with that assessment. He’s always been a good 3rd liner, going back to his Buffalo days. Last year was a fluke for sure but that doesn’t mean he’s just a scrub. Can’t help but wonder if the injuries he’s suffered this season have finally taken a toll. We know for sure he’s been asked to do way too much, but the dropoff in 2023 has been precipitous.
Even then he's been asked to handle a load that's way above his ability level this year. I mean I don't think it's at all surprising that he can't handle the role of being the key depth scorer on a contending team, ala Burakovsky.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He’s floated around 3rd to 4th line range. Typically 4th liners who get some special teams time average 13 minutes or less. 3rd liners are in the 15 range. He’s had seasons mostly below the 3rd line level, but a number above the 4th line level. He’s just floated around. Which fits his normal of moving up when playing well and moving down when he’s not.

Now calling him always good in that area… I’d say that is a stretch. He’s an inconsistent player with solid talent, but not a guy who should be counted on as a man every night top 9 guy on a contender. On a fringe playoff team or wild card team, he’s perfectly fine in a middle 6 role. On a contender, he’s a guy you hope to stash on the 4th for depth. He will get on production heaters that make people think he has consistent offensive ability, but that’s not who he really is.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I think E-Rod's been fine. He's being asked to play a bigger role than he's capable of all season with the injuries/lack of depth. Everybody knew he was streaky. Wasn't the mark before the season started like 30 points? He put up 43 points last year with 19 goals and he's on pace for 38 this season and 16 goals in 10+ less games played. You can point to him getting lots of goals on the PP but it's not like he hasn't positively contributed. Pretty sure he has more PP goals than Makar/MacKinnon lol

We likely won't be able to afford him and we'll miss him when he's gone because he'll likely be replaced by an actual 4th liner who can't play up in the lineup in a pinch.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s floated around 3rd to 4th line range. Typically 4th liners who get some special teams time average 13 minutes or less. 3rd liners are in the 15 range. He’s had seasons mostly below the 3rd line level, but a number above the 4th line level. He’s just floated around. Which fits his normal of moving up when playing well and moving down when he’s not.

Now calling him always good in that area… I’d say that is a stretch. He’s an inconsistent player with solid talent, but not a guy who should be counted on as a man every night top 9 guy on a contender. On a fringe playoff team or wild card team, he’s perfectly fine in a middle 6 role. On a contender, he’s a guy you hope to stash on the 4th for depth. He will get on production heaters that make people think he has consistent offensive ability, but that’s not who he really is.
Well, I don’t know how many “consistent” third liners are out there. The Avs certainly haven’t had them, that’s for sure. Good as he’s been this year and part of last year, even JTC’s contribution has been wildly erratic. Not every team can get or afford a Charlie Coyle.

And that’s the problem. Avs get these third liners and then can’t play them in the roles they were meant for because of injuries and depth issues. Wilson was a 3/4th line guy, Nieto is a clear 4th liner (but a damn good one), Matt Calvert, same thing. ALL of those guys had to play 3rd line or higher because the Avs have no stability in the lineup.

IMO if E-Rod had been a 3rd line guy and Landeskog and Nichushkin hadn’t missed so much goddamned time we’d see perhaps a tad more consistency from him.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Feels a lot like the Dallas playoff series. Beat up Avs team, loosely officiated and every Dallas point shot feels like it goes in.

I hope the Manson doubters now understand what he gives to team. His one punch drop of Benn gave the Avs a swagger that someone had their back. I really don't like watching this team without him. Yes, he isn't the best player but he gives them something no one else, save Landy, does.

Is it time to quit believing this team is ever going to get healthy? Therefore is this who they are? All the 2C's in the world aren't going to fix this. It looks like they are flat out sick of guys going down. One step forward, two steps back. Dallas has had something like 24 man games lost all season, that is a week for Colorado.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is what I feared when Rodrigues was signed and why I wanted the Avs to stay away from him when I watched him last season with Pittsburgh.

Put the guy on the top line and PP1 and yeah, he'll produce. He won't produce top line numbers, but he'll produce decently. Yet as soon as guys get healthy you don't want him anywhere near the top six. Then you realize he is not a bottom six forward because he is bad defensively and cannot produce unless he's surrounded by extremely talented forwards. So he goes into a massive nosedive production-wise and we're seeing it happen this season like it did last season.

There's a reason this guy wasn't signed all Summer and won't be given a long term contract this coming offseason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, I don’t know how many “consistent” third liners are out there. The Avs certainly haven’t had them, that’s for sure. Good as he’s been this year and part of last year, even JTC’s contribution has been wildly erratic. Not every team can get or afford a Charlie Coyle.

And that’s the problem. Avs get these third liners and then can’t play them in the roles they were meant for because of injuries and depth issues. Wilson was a 3/4th line guy, Nieto is a clear 4th liner (but a damn good one), Matt Calvert, same thing. ALL of those guys had to play 3rd line or higher because the Avs have no stability in the lineup.

IMO if E-Rod had been a 3rd line guy and Landeskog and Nichushkin hadn’t missed so much goddamned time we’d see perhaps a tad more consistency from him.
ERod has been used in those roles (at least one season in Buffalo) in the past and he doesn’t bring consistency. Just not who he is.

And by consistent, I don’t just mean scoring. Scoring usually comes in spurts. With ERod, his whole game falls apart at times. With a guy like Coleman, you get a good honest game most of the time.

This is what I feared when Rodrigues was signed and why I wanted the Avs to stay away from him when I watched him last season with Pittsburgh.

Put the guy on the top line and PP1 and yeah, he'll produce. He won't produce top line numbers, but he'll produce decently. Yet as soon as guys get healthy you don't want him anywhere near the top six. Then you realize he is not a bottom six forward because he is bad defensively and cannot produce unless he's surrounded by extremely talented forwards. So he goes into a massive nosedive production-wise and we're seeing it happen this season like it did last season.

There's a reason this guy wasn't signed all Summer and won't be given a long term contract this coming offseason.
ERod is a completely didnt style PAP. Guy who in roles can be productive and useful… just want nothing to do with him on a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad