GDT: Avs @ Stars | Emergency GDT | 1:30 MT | Disappointment Edition

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
There's a reason this guy wasn't signed all Summer and won't be given a long term contract this coming offseason.

Didn't he get a big offer that he rejected and fired his agent over or something like that? That's why he was looking for a 1 year contract?

I never get the issue with consistency. It's the reason why players are 1st liners vs bottom 6. Why somebody's a star vs on the cusp. If E-Rod was consistent he'd be a 50+ point player the past two years and that's just not who he is. Being able to play up the lineup and being able to produce with talent is a positive IMO. You want that. Alot of guys get moved up the lineup and aren't able to do that. I wasn't a huge Bura fan but it's like when people would complain about how streaky he was .. it's like yeah with consistency he's a PPG player. You shouldn't expect that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Didn't he get a big offer that he rejected and fired his agent over or something like that? That's why he was looking for a 1 year contract?

I never get the issue with consistency. It's the reason why players are 1st liners vs bottom 6. Why somebody's a star vs on the cusp. If E-Rod was consistent he'd be a 50+ point player the past two years and that's just not who he is. Being able to play up the lineup and being able to produce with talent is a positive IMO. You want that. Alot of guys get moved up the lineup and aren't able to do that. I wasn't a huge Bura fan but it's like when people would complain about how streaky he was .. it's like yeah with consistency he's a PPG player. You shouldn't expect that.
Less about scoring and more about all around play.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Less about scoring and more about all around play.

Which is why they were willing to commit to Lehky and Nuke the way they were despite not knowing 100% if they could keep their scoring rate up.

They're still impact players when they're cold.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think that's one reason the expansion teams do so well. They basically have to build a team like STL, but without having to wait. They can select players who may have untapped potential or guys who are reliable. If done right, a team everyone writes off looking at the roster is a lot more dangerous than given credit without star power.

It's why Vegas is all in all the time too. Awesome team that will expire like milk lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Which is why they were willing to commit to Lehky and Nuke the way they were despite not knowing 100% if they could keep their scoring rate up.

They're still impact players when they're cold.
There is a point where you need the production too, but yeah that is why they got paid. Lehky is really a great third liner than a top 6 guy… but he’s very complimentary so he can always find a top 6 spot here as long as he’s a 3rd wheel.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There is a point where you need the production too, but yeah that is why they got paid. Lehky is really a great third liner than a top 6 guy… but he’s very complimentary so he can always find a top 6 spot here as long as he’s a 3rd wheel.

If we were ever deep enough to have him on the third line he'd feast on his matchup the way JT can if he's pushed down.

Lehky is Calvert with more skill, and the ability to play more minutes while still giving you the same game. LOC is getting better at playing up it seems, just wish we were not going into the playoffs with these guys already having to play up all damn year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we were ever deep enough to have him on the third line he'd feast on his matchup the way JT can if he's pushed down.

Lehky is Calvert with more skill, and the ability to play more minutes while still giving you the same game. LOC is getting better at playing up it seems, just wish we were not going into the playoffs with these guys already having to play up all damn year.
The problem is there, his contract prevents that. Happens with all great 3rd liners eventually.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problem is there, his contract prevents that. Happens with all great 3rd liners eventually.

Yeah, but he's fine in his role for now. Bednar is good at getting the most out of guys like that.

I see why he is close to the line though when it comes to shifting salary for a 2C. If they're adamant about keeping this defense together he may become a casualty soon.

God I hope they don't re-sign JT unless he goes Nukelear at center in the playoffs. Just the chance he turns into a pumpkin next season is too risky IMO.

Maybe Sakic/the Avs are like us now and fall in love with third liners that have an impact instead of trading them away. Which will have it's own downside.

I think a lot about how this is going now vs 2001. I was too young in 96 to really remember the details of what happened.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, but he's fine in his role for now. Bednar is good at getting the most out of guys like that.

I see why he is close to the line though when it comes to shifting salary for a 2C. If they're adamant about keeping this defense together he may become a casualty soon.

God I hope they don't re-sign JT unless he goes Nukelear at center in the playoffs. Just the chance he turns into a pumpkin next season is too risky IMO.

Maybe Sakic/the Avs are like us now and fall in love with third liners that have an impact instead of trading them away. Which will have it's own downside.

I think a lot about how this is going now vs 2001. I was too young in 96 to really remember the details of what happened.

You don’t need to wait til next season. He’s already shown how awful he is against good competition the last couple games, and it’ll only get worse in the playoffs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You don’t need to wait til next season. He’s already shown how awful he is against good competition the last couple games, and it’ll only get worse in the playoffs

He and the team is being inconsistent though. Harder to single him out..

Are*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad