Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ryan Murray (One year, $2M)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though Graves rightfully stepped back offensively last season, I would still put him higher on the offensive category than Murray, but Ryan beats him on everything else including decisions with the puck. I love this signing, but he is also one hit away of being out for a good four to six weeks as well.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Suddenly our D is a lot stronger than in the playoffs…

2020-2021 Playoffs:

Toews - Makar
Graves - Girard
Nemeth - Timmins

vs…

2021-22 Regular Season:

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - Johnson

Let’s see if they can remain healthy. It’s a top 5 D corps in the league.

Optimistic NEB: the 3 Mc and Macs are a decent 7 through 9 after that upgraded D.

Pessimistic NEB: EJ and Byram were already on the roster last year and didn't play in the playoffs. Are the assorted Macs and Mcs better than Nemeth Timmins?

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I assume you don’t approve?
Have you seen Murry's d? Look it just seems bizarre the randomness of the moves made Sakic over his defense these past few years. Another lefty to play the right side? Seriously what has Sakic seen that makes him think this would be a improvement over Cole? What have any of you seen that makes you think this is a upgrade? It just gets back to what I have been saying for a while now. I know he is only signed for the year but you guys will run him out of town as quick as you ran Graves, Cole, Zadorov, Nemeth twice, when the guys the Avs need to run out of town would be Girard and EJ. Getting rid of one of those 2 and you might see some cap savings as well. To me it is just like going in circles but hey that is Girards specialty and the team thinks thats great too,

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Have you seen Murry's d? Look it just seems bizarre the randomness of the moves made Sakic over his defense these past few years. Another lefty to play the right side? Seriously what has Sakic seen that makes him think this would be a improvement over Cole? What have any of you seen that makes you think this is a upgrade? It just gets back to what I have been saying for a while now. I know he is only signed for the year but you guys will run him out of town as quick as you ran Graves, Cole, Zadorov, Nemeth twice, when the guys the Avs need to run out of town would be Girard and EJ. Getting rid of one of those 2 and you might see some cap savings as well. To me it is just like going in circles but hey that is Girards specialty and the team thinks thats great too,

I haven't followed Murray closely recently, but if he's still fairly mobile, that should make him a much better fit than Cole in the Avs system.

Cole was really struggling with the Avs his last year and change. He just couldn't skate well enough to play Bednar's up tempo system, and this caused him to make tons of mistakes.

He also just stopped blocking shots as much for some reason in the bubble during the playoffs, which is one of his biggest contributions.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Murray is a really nice fit. He's a lefty but he does exactly what the Avs were missing. Can play big minutes if needed, and kill penalties. Good skater too. Injuries are the obvious concern.

Now go get a middle six winger and I'll shut up :laugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

You had me at Cole.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
upload_2021-8-3_8-50-32.png

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Parks

Dec 19, 2015
Colorado
I know he is only signed for the year but you guys will run him out of town as quick as you ran Graves, Cole, Zadorov, Nemeth twice, when the guys the Avs need to run out of town would be Girard and EJ. Getting rid of one of those 2 and you might see some cap savings as well. To me it is just like going in circles but hey that is Girards specialty and the team thinks thats great too,

I agree with EJ, he hasn't been an impact player for a long time. I would be happy just getting some quality PK time from him before he gets hurt. Not exactly what you would normally expect from your second highest paid def. I'm not ready to give up on Girard yet but he needs to prove to be better in the def zone. He had a rough time in the playoffs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Are you seriously arguing that Cole is better than Murray?

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't followed Murray closely recently, but if he's still fairly mobile, that should make him a much better fit than Cole in the Avs system.

Cole was really struggling with the Avs his last year and change. He just couldn't skate well enough to play Bednar's up tempo system, and this caused him to make tons of mistakes.

He also just stopped blocking shots as much for some reason in the bubble during the playoffs, which is one of his biggest contributions.

Cole Blocked 29 shots in 15 games which is about his average and second to Graves who had a even more impressive 37 in the bubble. Both EJ and Zadorov had 16 blocked shots. Makar had 14 and Girard 11.
I don't know how you could say he was struggling with the Avs last year as he only played in 2 games with the Avs. One of those games was a 8-0 waxing over the Blues and the other was a 4-1 loss. He was a minus one in the loss while Timmons was minus 3, Girard and Graves both minus 2. Last year Cole blocked more shots than any Av in far less minutes played. Ryan Graves blocked 3 fewer shots than Cole. Now lets talk about mistakes. During Coles last full year with the Avs he finished plus 21 which put him at 10th in the league for defensemen. He is usually at the top of the league in this stat so how someone can randomly say he makes mistakes is not making sense. He was plus 2 in his 15 playoff games with the Avs last year and plus 6 the year prior with he Avs. Now it would be a little hard to play up tempo when a man short but again when blocking shots you sometimes aren't on your skates.Cole's 26 points playing mostly shut down minutes during his last full year would indicate just the opposite of what you think you are seeing.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Cole Blocked 29 shots in 15 games which is about his average and second to Graves who had a even more impressive 37 in the bubble. Both EJ and Zadorov had 16 blocked shots. Makar had 14 and Girard 11.
I don't know how you could say he was struggling with the Avs last year as he only played in 2 games with the Avs. One of those games was a 8-0 waxing over the Blues and the other was a 4-1 loss. He was a minus one in the loss while Timmons was minus 3, Girard and Graves both minus 2. Last year Cole blocked more shots than any Av in far less minutes played. Ryan Graves blocked 3 fewer shots than Cole. Now lets talk about mistakes. During Coles last full year with the Avs he finished plus 21 which put him at 10th in the league for defensemen. He is usually at the top of the league in this stat so how someone can randomly say he makes mistakes is not making sense. He was plus 2 in his 15 playoff games with the Avs last year and plus 6 the year prior with he Avs. Now it would be a little hard to play up tempo when a man short but again when blocking shots you sometimes aren't on your skates.Cole's 26 points playing mostly shut down minutes during his last full year would indicate just the opposite of what you think you are seeing.
You know who blocks a lot of shots? Talentless pylons who can't play the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00