Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ryan Murray (One year, $2M)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Cole Blocked 29 shots in 15 games which is about his average and second to Graves who had a even more impressive 37 in the bubble. Both EJ and Zadorov had 16 blocked shots. Makar had 14 and Girard 11.
I don't know how you could say he was struggling with the Avs last year as he only played in 2 games with the Avs. One of those games was a 8-0 waxing over the Blues and the other was a 4-1 loss. He was a minus one in the loss while Timmons was minus 3, Girard and Graves both minus 2. Last year Cole blocked more shots than any Av in far less minutes played. Ryan Graves blocked 3 fewer shots than Cole. Now lets talk about mistakes. During Coles last full year with the Avs he finished plus 21 which put him at 10th in the league for defensemen. He is usually at the top of the league in this stat so how someone can randomly say he makes mistakes is not making sense. He was plus 2 in his 15 playoff games with the Avs last year and plus 6 the year prior with he Avs. Now it would be a little hard to play up tempo when a man short but again when blocking shots you sometimes aren't on your skates.Cole's 26 points playing mostly shut down minutes during his last full year would indicate just the opposite of what you think you are seeing.
Blocking shots is a really poor metric to judge a defenseman by. It's really just a measurement of who gets asked to stand in front of the net as a pylon on the PK, and high block numbers at 5v5 could indicate a Dman who is very passive when defending.

The Avs clearly value guys like Toews, Girard, Barron, Behrens, etc who defend with an active stick to stop offense at the source rather than waiting until it's already at the point of the opponent having a shot and then *hoping* that it hits your shinpads instead of the back of the net.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Even though Graves rightfully stepped back offensively last season, I would still put him higher on the offensive category than Murray, but Ryan beats him on everything else including decisions with the puck. I love this signing, but he is also one hit away of being out for a good four to six weeks as well.

The thing about Graves offence though is it’s heavily inflated by his poor decision making.

I agree that Murray’s offence is nothing special, but Graves offence comes from the fact that he’s a puck hog and shoots the puck every time it’s on his stick. Naturally that’s going to lead to some points and helps his offensive totals look more impressive, but it’s to the detriment of the team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
@larueskee Dude for real there’s no reason to be here. You have a connection to Cole, I get it. I have a connection with several NHL’ers too and I get the attachment. But everybody here really really really really don’t want Cole here. In fact we were all really really really happy when he left last year.

Cole’s a great guy. A guy with a great NHL resume. He got a contract in Carolina now and that’s awesome for him. But why don’t you go over there too. Cole has nothing to do with Colorado anymore and everybody here is very glad of that.

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017
People apparently watch hockey and can't tell Graves and Cole are trash lmao
Bizarre people in this world.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

We got an NHL player and a 2nd round pick for Graves, and Cole just got a new 2.9M contract. I guess those professional scouts don't watch games?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Joe Sakic and Jared Bednar included right? Since Graves was signed last summer and played heavily during the past season.

And Cole was also an Av and traded to a team that took Vegas further than the Avs did.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wouldn’t surprise me if we see this by mid season:

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Murray - EJ

Toews/Girard was really good last year and Murray played great hockey in CBJ next to Savard, who’s in the EJ mould. Not to mention Byram and Makar seem to have some natural chemistry.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Wouldn’t surprise me if we see this by mid season:

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Murray - EJ

Toews/Girard was really good last year and Murray played great hockey in CBJ next to Savard, who’s in the EJ mould. Not to mention Byram and Makar seem to have some natural chemistry.
That would be the ideal pairings, assuming that Byram can play that high up the lineup already. This way you can really manage Murray and Johnson's minutes, just giving them DZ and PK starts pretty much, while having the top 2 pairs eating 5v5 minutes and PP's.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I do think it's a bit of a problem there's effectively only one consistent RHD on the team. I really don't like Girard playing the right after what we saw in the playoffs last year. The Avs have to put him in the best position to succeed, and playing his offside when he already struggles against aggressive forechecks due to his size is less than ideal. I'm hoping either Byram can figure out the right side better than Girard can, EJ can magically be healthy for the playoffs (lol), or Barron gets a shot and appears a ~year ahead of schedule.

Just can't say I'm a fan of any D lineup that features Girard on the right.

Reactions: Murzu

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The thing about Graves offence though is it’s heavily inflated by his poor decision making.

I agree that Murray’s offence is nothing special, but Graves offence comes from the fact that he’s a puck hog and shoots the puck every time it’s on his stick. Naturally that’s going to lead to some points and helps his offensive totals look more impressive, but it’s to the detriment of the team.

And when he does this 9/10 times there is a better play like giving it to someone who has a good shot or you know someone with legit offensive talent. Hes a guy who fell in love with his offensive numbers a yr ago and lost focused of his true talent of being a piece of shit selfish pylon who gets caught on the offensive zone blue line causing rush chances against. f*** Ryan Graves

Reactions: BrickNHL

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I do think it's a bit of a problem there's effectively only one consistent RHD on the team. I really don't like Girard playing the right after what we saw in the playoffs last year. The Avs have to put him in the best position to succeed, and playing his offside when he already struggles against aggressive forechecks due to his size is less than ideal. I'm hoping either Byram can figure out the right side better than Girard can, EJ can magically be healthy for the playoffs (lol), or Barron gets a shot and appears a ~year ahead of schedule.

Just can't say I'm a fan of any D lineup that features Girard on the right.
Yah I wish they could've gotten Manson or Murphy. Two righties who play with sand and play a stay at home babysit the other guy kinda game.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Based on what Cronin said about Barron being ready sooner-rather-than-later due to his maturity, willingness to learn, and his on-ice play which suits the Avs style perfectly it wouldn't be surprising at all if Bednar called him up and used him by the playoffs.

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Byram -- Barron
Murray

Roll 7D - all of whom can skate really well and play the puck. That allows you to manage minutes for Johnson and Murray, and to insulate Barron/Byram a bit by giving them shifts with Johnson/Murray respectively.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
And when he does this 9/10 times there is a better play like giving it to someone who has a good shot or you know someone with legit offensive talent. Hes a guy who fell in love with his offensive numbers a yr ago and lost focused of his true talent of being a piece of shit selfish pylon who gets caught on the offensive zone blue line causing rush chances against. f*** Ryan Graves

If he can dial that back I think he’ll actually be a nice addition for New Jersey, but I’m really happy to be rid of his hero hockey.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I see a lot of folks saying that Girard can’t play the right side.

Was he not in the Norris conversation playing on the right side during the regular season?

I honestly think he just played like shit against Vegas. It happens. He can and has played the right side at a high level.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yah I wish they could've gotten Manson or Murphy. Two righties who play with sand and play a stay at home babysit the other guy kinda game.
Yep — I really wanted a RHD with size to basically do what EJ is supposed to do for Girard. Murphy would have been the ideal (6’4!) but I doubt Chicago was or will move him, sadly, given they’ve abandoned their rebuild.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
People like their extremes. All three of Cole, Murray and Graves are NHL worthy defensemen. in and of itself it means a lot!

This. People hate on Cole and Graves, and are glad they are gone, but now there is a satisfaction we got Ryan f***ing Murray, as if he was somehow great. There is a reason why former no.2 pick is to be had for 2 million and one year contract only 10 years into his career and being great is not that reason.
Not saying he is not better than Cole or Graves, but IMO people should temper their expectations. I could already see him taking the Cole/Graves role of scapegoat by the end of next season, once it turns out he is not all that after all.

Reactions: larueskee

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If he can dial that back I think he’ll actually be a nice addition for New Jersey, but I’m really happy to be rid of his hero hockey.
He was asked to dial it back this year and it lead to him f***ing up more and at one point caused him to be a healthy scratch. I think this is just who Ryan Graves is. If he plays to his strengths he can be very serviceable in Jersey. If he thinks hes Cale Makar hes going to continue on being shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad