Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ryan Murray (One year, $2M)

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was asked to dial it back this year and it lead to him f***ing up more and at one point caused him to be a healthy scratch. I think this is just who Ryan Graves is. If he plays to his strengths he can be very serviceable in Jersey. If he thinks hes Cale Makar hes going to continue on being shit.

Exactly this. He's a reasonably good third pairing defender who can jump into the play and is effective when he plays aggressive. When he doesn't play to those strengths or doesn't have the defense/goaltending around him to make up for his more-than-occasional errors, he's not great to have out there.

Reactions: Vaslof

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see a lot of folks saying that Girard can’t play the right side.

Was he not in the Norris conversation playing on the right side during the regular season?

I honestly think he just played like shit against Vegas. It happens. He can and has played the right side at a high level.
Could very well be the case. I made the conclusion that the extra second it takes to get to his forehand after a puck retrieval could be the cause of his struggles and it kinda took off around here but I don’t know if I was actually right lol. I think it does have some merit considering how much faster the forecheck is in the playoffs but Girard has excelled on the right side in the regular season previously. I’d say both is kinda right. If we can get him on the left it’s probably best but I do definitely think he’s our best option to play the off side

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

Was he not in the Norris conversation playing on the right side during the regular season?

I honestly think he just played like shit against Vegas. It happens. He can and has played the right side at a high level.

We've seen a lot of hate for Girard here post-Vegas, which has always felt super emotional and not objective. The dude was fantastic all year and had a rough series as many guys did. But he and Toews were also MASSIVELY overplayed down the line en-route to the presidents trophy. I would not be surprised if he was exhausted by the time the Vegas series rolled around.

Reactions: Belgican

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Could very well be the case. I made the conclusion that the extra second it takes to get to his forehand after a puck retrieval could be the cause of his struggles and it kinda took off around here but I don’t know if I was actually right lol. I think it does have some merit considering how much faster the forecheck is in the playoffs but Girard has excelled on the right side in the regular season previously. I’d say both is kinda right. If we can get him on the left it’s probably best but I do definitely think he’s our best option to play the off side

I’m no defensive expert, so I may be way off.

I just don’t think 6 bad games against Vegas, outweighs the 40 odd regular season games and St. Louis series where he played extremely well on the right side.

Just my opinion. I thought this season of Girard was the best we’ve ever seen from him and 80% of it was him playing the right-side.

Reactions: McMetal

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

I agree. I also noted towards the end of the season that G was showing signs of fatigue. I saw that from Toews too.

There were too many injuries during the season, EJ, Byram, even Makar … and some players were clearly exhausted.

And to me that’s a problem with Bednar. Toews with many 25 minutes games. Same thing with the first line, playing almost every night something like 20 minutes when the second line only played something like 14, the third line 13, and the fourth line 6 to 8.

All of that to win the President trophy, yeah …

If Bednar keeps doing the same thing this season, we will never win nothing.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m no defensive expert, so I may be way off.

I just don’t think 6 bad games against Vegas, outweighs the 40 odd regular season games and St. Louis series where he played extremely well on the right side.

Just my opinion. I thought this season of Girard was the best we’ve ever seen from him and 80% of it was him playing the right-side.
Girard is a stud in the regular season nobody would argue that not even the haters. Its fair to say hes less effective in the playoffs because theres a pretty decent sample size to support that. He can shut everyone up by having a great post season if they Avs get there this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
G's issue on the right is that he isn't the greatest straight ahead skater, who is almost always retrieving the puck due to who his partner is, and the extra split second on having to use his backhand to move the puck to the area Bednar's system wants it are three compounding issues that cause him to lose the space and time he normally has on his forehand. That slight bit of extra time allows teams to inflict a lot more punishment on him.

Probably unpopular, but Toews played the right side a good amount last year and looked pretty solid while doing so. He's also a better straight ahead skater who can handle physicality better. Pair him and G up. Then Byram and Makar to form the top 4. G's getting the heavy defensive minutes anyway so Byram naturally gets more minutes, but not the hardest minutes. Murray and EJ can work their way to IR together.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We've seen a lot of hate for Girard here post-Vegas, which has always felt super emotional and not objective. The dude was fantastic all year and had a rough series as many guys did. But he and Toews were also MASSIVELY overplayed down the line en-route to the presidents trophy. I would not be surprised if he was exhausted by the time the Vegas series rolled around.
Maybe Grubauer was tired too. I know they had Covid breaks and all but Gru played a ton of hockey last season mainly due to the schedule and partly due to Miska being the worst goaltender the NHL has seen since Martin Brochu

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
I like the pick up, he fits the Avs style and can play top 4. Biggest issue is he is highly injury prone and you combine that with having EJ also, yikes. I just don't want to see MacDermid as a regular in this line up and no one here will want to either.

Reactions: RampoSanta

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
The Hockey Guy 8/3 installment on YouTube is wearing a Colorado Eagles sweater in Avs colors as he reports on the Murray signing. Looks sharp!

Has it occurred to anyone else that having MacDermid on the ice is arguably a contributing factor in causing CTE in players?

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I dont think that is true at all.

If EJ is healthy and looking good he is definitely playing with Girard. That is a good and well known pairing for the team.

Byram - Murray is likely the 3rd pairing but at the same time I dont think Byram is guaranteed a spot in the lineup every night either. We have some good depth pieces that can push for a spot as well.

Barring an injury or maintenance days, if someone outside of the top 3 sits, its not because we have good depth at 7-9D that needs to see some action IMO. Nothing special in that group, nor should it be expected to be at that level of depth. The Mac-crew (they need a good nickname) would only play because someone needs a visit to the doghouse. Byram with his age and inexperience might need it but I hope they let the kid play through it.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I'm kinda with you on this. I don't think playing the right side is the main issue with G. It doesn't help obviously. He is better on the left side. His main issue is not the strong forecheck. It is when the opposite team target him with heavy hits. That's when his game goes bad. I don't blame him too much because of his size.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Not sure if this was already shared.

It's really promising that Murray put up reasonably solid numbers with a very high "level of difficulty" at 81.

In NJ he was often facing opponents top lines and rarely got a night off given how competitive that division was apart from games against Buffalo.

In Colorado he won't have to play against that calibre of opposition on the ice very regularly given that the Avs already have a strong top 4 unlike NJ last year.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

It's really promising that Murray put up reasonably solid numbers with a very high "level of difficulty" at 81.

In NJ he was often facing opponents top lines and rarely got a night off given how competitive that division was apart from games against Buffalo.

In Colorado he won't have to play against that calibre of opposition on the ice very regularly given that the Avs already have a strong top 4 unlike NJ last year.

Play this man 14-16 mins a game, and give him all the PK time he can handle. Hopefully the decreased PT will help keep him healthy.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I remember Corey Masisak was on NHL Radio during the season when the Devils were mired in their tailspin toward the bottom of the standings, he noted both Subban and Murray started the season well as the team's top pairing, then absolutely tanked it after that and the team's fortunes followed them.

So yeah, a top-four guy he really isn't. He should see some easier minutes in Colorado if nothing else. I really hope last season was mostly a one-off due to NJ's general suckiness.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Play this man 14-16 mins a game, and give him all the PK time he can handle. Hopefully the decreased PT will help keep him healthy.
And don't play him in both games of a back-to-back. Maybe have EJ and Murray take a game a piece in a back-to-back and just treat them like one would treat a goalie tandem when you have a back-to-back. Then use those games were one of them is rested to let MacDermid stretch his legs, or give a game here and there to Barron to give him an idea of what the NHL is like.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Aside from his injury history he’s really an ideal #6. Probably one of the best you could have.

Because he’s really more of a low end 4, or high end 5. I like that his skills are a little more tilted to the defensive side too. Should be a nice addition.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I honestly thought they would never go after him since he only plays left and is one more player with injury problems... in theory, that's a very good signing specially for that price and term. now guys like Mckeown and Gross should only enter the lineup when the inevitable injuries start striking. gotta hope that Newhook can live up to the expectations and be that top 6 FW we lack. I'm fairly optimistic on this, so... let's go!

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->