Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Justus Annunen to 3-year ELC

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
NHL-sopimus armeijan tuvassa – Justus Annunen kaivoi heti seuraavana aamuna telamiinaa maahan: ”Ihan sellaista en odottanut”

Justus is serving his military service at the moment, actually signed his ELC at the barracks, and was digging an AT-mine in to the ground the morning after. He's serving in the "Sports School" branch (my translation) of the Finnish Defense Forces like the majority of professional athletes. He praises the work of Ari Pakarinen (don't know who he is) and Defense Forces in general for providing everything an athlete needs in these circumstances

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Best of both worlds.

Justuss and Werner both get starting reps.

Might not be a starter in Kärpät. Last season was split with some preference for the other goalie, they are both returning for next season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Might not be a starter in Kärpät. Last season was split with some preference for the other goalie, they are both returning for next season.
He definitely won't "have the crease", but I think they'll split pretty well with Rybar unless Annunen shits the bed himself.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Ari Pakarinen
There are two Ari Pakarinen:
  • ex-Javelin thrower, placed 5th in Stuttgart 1993 WC
  • ex-100 & 200 meter sprinter who broke the Finnish record in both in the early 1990s.
Either could be the one he refers to, but I think it is the sprinter one, as he is currently working as a sports coach for Kouvolan Pallonlyöjät (Finnish baseball).
Entinen huippujuoksija Ari Pakarinen KPL:n juoksuvalmentajaksi

Also, in the article Qurpiz posted: NHL-sopimus armeijan tuvassa – Justus Annunen kaivoi heti seuraavana aamuna telamiinaa maahan: ”Ihan sellaista en odottanut”
It says:
Kärpät ei ole tiedottanut Annusen NHL-diilistä vielä lainkaan. Pohjois-Amerikassa on spekuloitu, että Annunen pelaisi ensi kaudella lainalla Kärpissä.
Maalivahti ei itse halua kommentoida tilannetta vaan odottaa seurojen tiedottavan omasta tulevaisuudestaan.
Translated:
Kärpät has not given any statement about Annunen's NHL contract yet. In North America, there is speculation that Annunen would be loaned to Kärpät for the next season.
The goalie himself does not want to comment on the situation, and is waiting for the teams to make the announcement about his future.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs were bound to hit on one of these late round euro goalies. I liked what I saw from Justus at the WJC.
I don't think Annunen really fits the pattern for their late round dart-at-the-wall strategy. Unlike Kvaca, Shmakov, and Werner, Annunen was highly rated during his draft year, and got snagged near the beginning of the third round. I think they got rewarded for bucking their trend.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Annunen played great overall at the WJC but he still let in some softies. He's very promising, but he still needs work on some of the technical aspects like his glove hand. Hopefully those can be ironed out in the next couple years.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Apparently he's doing his military service ATM. Kärpät "GM" If you will thinks it's likely he will spend his next season in Finland.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually, burning a year in a season where they either played no or just a few NHL games has proven to be advantageous to teams in the cap era. It cuts down on the body of work they have in the NHL that their agents can bring to bear in negotiations. Makes for some RFA deals that aren't quite as lucrative.
This.

Yes it makes contract number 2 come quicker which sucks. However it almost always means contract #2 comes way cheaper. I was screaming this at people last year when they didn’t want Makar to play in the playoffs lol.

Eh, I know I was championing this notion a few seasons ago -- when we were debating calling up Mikko once he could no longer bank a season towards UFA -- but the superstar talents like Cale & Mikko still have the option to demand a bridge deal, should their team try to get too cheap with them on contract #2. So I dunno how much it actually helps.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Eh, I know I was championing this a few seasons ago, but the superstar talents like Cale & Mikko still have the option to demand a bridge if their team tries to get cheap with them on contract #2. So I dunno how much it actually helps.
Sakic has spoken out about the emphasis he puts on interviews in drafts for this exact purpose.

When you draft players like Nylander, Matthews and as much as I love him, Ryan O’Reilly nothing is going to help. Yes Sakic is at risk of players requesting bridge deals from a player but his history shows that’s rare. Almost every bridge deal handed out seems like it’s from Sakic’s side and makes sense for the team. He doesn’t want to commit long term to high risk players like Zadorov.

I don’t expect Makar to request a bridge deal.

Reactions: Richard88

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sakic has spoken out about the emphasis he puts on interviews in drafts for this exact purpose.

When you draft players like Nylander, Matthews and as much as I love him, Ryan O’Reilly nothing is going to help. Yes Sakic is at risk of players requesting bridge deals from a player but his history shows that’s rare. Almost every bridge deal handed out seems like it’s from Sakic’s side and makes sense for the team. He doesn’t want to commit long term to high risk players like Zadorov.

True, but I'd argue that that is simply because Joe hasn't yet had to face that situation; given that they were close enough with Mikko for him to not want a bridge & our previous star RFAs were signed when the team still sucked so they weren't in a position to demand beaucoup bucks.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The only bridge you give Cale is a bridge made of Benjamins. Back up that Brinks truck and dump a load of cash on his lawn.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, he's lost that baby fat for sure. RIP those adorable cheeks. :(

justus-annunen-2020-2589.jpg

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Annunen played great overall at the WJC but he still let in some softies. He's very promising, but he still needs work on some of the technical aspects like his glove hand. Hopefully those can be ironed out in the next couple years.
He, like a lot of Euro goalies - likes to have his glove hand down at the hip from what I've seen. But that is easily coachable if he listens to the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad