Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Justus Annunen to 3-year ELC

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So does this mean that he is coming over to play in the AHL next season (whenever next season is), or that his arrival date in NA is still TBD?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well deserved after the season he just had. First thought was he must be coming over but maybe not....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Cool, I figured they'd slide the contract for one year, then bring him over.

They can "lend" him back to his finish club & let his ELC slide the same way it would if he was playing in college or the CHL.
Doesn't the fact that he's already 20 mean that his ELC can't slide?

upload_2020-4-30_23-42-45.png

(source: capfriendly)

upload_2020-4-30_23-43-17.png

Reactions: cgf and CB Joe

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the Avs have calculated certain situations are advantageous for them to burn a year.

Makar was one. He's gonna get paid like crazy either way, but if he had three full years instead of two before signing long term, he'd probably get more. Because of another year of putting up big numbers, but also an extra year for the cap to go up, and another year of big comparable contracts signed.

Annunen is another example. If he had three years, he'd probably come over and play in the AHL for one, and then possibly have two NHL years before re-signing. With only two years on his ELC, he'd come over for one AHL year, and only have one year as a likely NHL backup before re-signing.

That's potentially a decent sized difference in the amount of money Justus would command on his second deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why did I think he was a year younger than that? :laugh:

Thanks for the correction :thumbu:

I've found during this pandemic that hockey is so far removed from my brain in terms of importance, that I'm lucky if I remember who's playing for them this season versus last season.

Like I know someone used to wear #22 recently for the Avs, but I don't remember who it is. :huh:

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not sure what the advantage is in burning an ELC year for him to play overseas. Most goalies don't really get their legs in the NHL until they're 23, so a year less experience to sign the first real NHL deal is kind of a moot point, since it will probably be a 1-2 year prove-it deal no matter what. Maybe it's just a way to say "Hey, we believe in you, kid".

Unless they really have ultimate confidence that he'll be busting down the door of the NHL at 23 and ready to sign a hefty contract, which, given the history of highly rated goalie prospects in general (and this org in particular) seems premature.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think the Avs have calculated certain situations are advantageous for them to burn a year.

Makar was one. He's gonna get paid like crazy either way, but if he had three full years instead of two before signing long term, he'd probably get more. Because of another year of putting up big numbers, but also an extra year for the cap to go up, and another year of big comparable contracts signed.

Annunen is another example. If he had three years, he'd probably come over and play in the AHL for one, and then possibly have two NHL years before re-signing. With only two years on his ELC, he'd come over for one AHL year, and only have one year as a likely NHL backup before re-signing.

That's potentially a decent sized difference in the amount of money Justus would command on his second deal.

This also sets up Annunen's deal to expire the same year Francouz is set for UFA. So this could add some internal competition there as well.
I agree. All the roster moves seem logically planned with some logical foresight.

Regarding the last bit in bold, does signing today mean that 2019/20 counts as his first ELC season, thereby expiring in 2022 (at the same time as Francouz as you said)?

Or, does his ELC only officially start for the 2020/21 season, thereby ending in June 2023?

Why did I think he was a year younger than that? :laugh:
Thanks for the correction :thumbu:
You're welcome ;)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Actually, burning a year in a season where they either played no or just a few NHL games has proven to be advantageous to teams in the cap era. It cuts down on the body of work they have in the NHL that their agents can bring to bear in negotiations. Makes for some RFA deals that aren't quite as lucrative.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure what the advantage is in burning an ELC year for him to play overseas. Most goalies don't really get their legs in the NHL until they're 23, so a year less experience to sign the first real NHL deal is kind of a moot point, since it will probably be a 1-2 year prove-it deal no matter what. Maybe it's just a way to say "Hey, we believe in you, kid".

Unless they really have ultimate confidence that he'll be busting down the door of the NHL at 23 and ready to sign a hefty contract, which, given the history of highly rated goalie prospects in general (and this org in particular) seems premature.

There have been a fair amount of goalies in the NHL around the age Annunen would be during his ELC.

Carter Hart is 21. Petr Mrazek, Juuse Saros, and Mackenzie Blackwood broke into the NHL at 21. Matt Murray won the Stanley Cup at 22. Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck, Malcom Subban, Alexander Georgiev, and Tristan Jarry broke into the NHL at 22. Ilya Samsonov and Thatcher Demko broke into the NHL this year at 23.

By signing now and letting the first year burn, Annunen would be 22/23 in the final year of his deal. If they waited until next year, he'd be 23/24 in the final year of a three year ELC.

He could potentially be more proven with that extra year, and cost more to re-sign. Not guaranteed obviously, because it depends on how he progresses, but it's potentially saving them a little cap space when they'll need it the most.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree. All the roster moves seem logically planned with some logical foresight.

Regarding the last bit in bold, does signing today mean that 2019/20 counts as his first ELC season, thereby expiring in 2022 (at the same time as Francouz as you said)?

Or, does his ELC only officially start for the 2020/21 season, thereby ending in June 2023?

It wouldn't start this season either way. If he was 18/19 then his contract would slide for the first season in 2020-21 if he stayed in Europe and potentially start in 2021-22.

Since he's 20, then the first year starts in 2020-21 and will expire after the 2022-23 season.

Justus Annunen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Actually, burning a year in a season where they either played no or just a few NHL games has proven to be advantageous to teams in the cap era. It cuts down on the body of work they have in the NHL that their agents can bring to bear in negotiations. Makes for some RFA deals that aren't quite as lucrative.
I wonder what route they will go with Byram. If they call him up for the playoffs this year and burn his first year he'll be an RFA in 2022. Sliding his contract makes him an RFA in 2023.

If Byram plays in the playoffs and burns a year, then that means having to pay Byram as an RFA just prior to the 2022/23 season - a season that will likely be our best chance to win the cup (as our young guys will have established themselves by then and our cap situation will be very flexible still before Mack's 2023 deal).

On the flip side, sliding Byram makes him an RFA in 2023 and likely sees him cash in even more on his first deal with one more seasons performance for his agent to negotiate with.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It wouldn't start this season either way. If he was 18/19 then his contract would slide for the first season in 2020-21 if he stayed in Europe and potentially start in 2021-22.

Since he's 20, then the first year starts in 2020-21 and will expire after the 2022-23 season.

Justus Annunen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That's what I thought. I just got confused when you said that his contract would expire at the same time as Francouz (June 2022) which actually isn't the case then. :)

Reactions: Foppa2118

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This.

Yes it makes contract number 2 come quicker which sucks. However it almost always means contract #2 comes way cheaper. I was screaming this at people last year when they didn’t want Makar to play in the playoffs lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's what I thought. I just got confused when you said that his contract would expire at the same time as Francouz (June 2022) which actually isn't the case then. :)

Yeah you're right. :facepalm: This is what I mean by not paying attention to hockey stuff lately. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Makes perfect sense that Avs signed Annunen yesterday after earlier in that day the rumours of Alexei Melnichuk supposedly signing with the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad