Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Justus Annunen to 3-year ELC

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He, like a lot of Euro goalies - likes to have his glove hand down at the hip from what I've seen. But that is easily coachable if he listens to the coach.

His glove hand was his one weakness at the WJC. He was great in the tourney but he also let in a few softies there.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Looks like he leaned out.

Whats his best comparable? My very limited knowledge of goalie styles and by simply watching how they play, he reminds me of Vasilevskiy. Not as good but just in how he attacks and such.

He's not even close to the agility, speed, edge control, etc that Vasilevskiy has. Annunen is more in the realm of playing like John Gibson. Their level of movement is good enough but where they excel is staying calm, high end positioning, and reading the play.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He's not even close to the agility, speed, edge control, etc that Vasilevskiy has. Annunen is more in the realm of playing like John Gibson. Their level of movement is good enough but where they excel is staying calm, high end positioning, and reading the play.

Sounds like JSG.

Reactions: arun

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Sounds like JSG.

If Annunen plays like Jiggy did in Anahiem during the prime of his career even with MacKinnon making +13M we'll have a lot of good chances at the Cup. Jiggy in Anahiem was great, played injured in Toronto (which if you play badly in Toronto you are treated as if you aren't even good enough for the ECHL) then came here and was actually decent despite losing a lot of his already limited mobility. For a 3rd round pick that'd be a fantastic result.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Annunen plays like Jiggy did in Anahiem during the prime of his career even with MacKinnon making +13M we'll have a lot of good chances at the Cup. Jiggy in Anahiem was great, played injured in Toronto (which if you play badly in Toronto you are treated as if you aren't even good enough for the ECHL) then came here and was actually decent despite losing a lot of his already limited mobility. For a 3rd round pick that'd be a fantastic result.

Giggy did a lot of good for this team.

Why do I get the feeling both of you think that was a insult lol? It was a compliment, and just who came to mind with that description.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Is he already in North America? The Eagles only have 5 games left and the last one is on the 15th (9 days). With quarantine and what not it may not leave many games to get a look at him, unless all of that has already been happening.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
AHL quarantine is very limited, it’s not a full week. Also he last played in Finland over 2 weeks ago, I imagine some of these logistics they’ve been working on. I’d say he will be available for all three home games at least.

Reactions: LostInMosEisley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There are a lot of teams that suddenly pull goalies out of their hats who become jams for them.

Binnigton
Kahkonen
Vanecek
Driedger
Lankinen

The list goes on. Maybe Annunen can be that guy for the Avs?

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There are a lot of teams that suddenly pull goalies out of their hats who become jams for them.

Binnigton
Kahkonen
Vanecek
Driedger
Lankinen

The list goes on. Maybe Annunen can be that guy for the Avs?
Swayman another one in Boston looked good in the games I saw him in. Dan Vladar for a few games aswell. Hopefully Annunen can turn into something. Avs havent hit on a goalie since Pickard.

Reactions: the_fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wonder if they were planning on bringing him over anyway, or if this is for extra insurance after how bad JJ and Dubnyk have looked?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This feels like what the plan was all along. Sign him, give him one more year in Europe, then bring him over.

Yeah I was expecting them to bring him over next season, but I wonder if they expedited that a bit because their deadline moves haven't reassured them.

Like you say though, this could have been the plan all along. They've done it before with NA prospects, and they've done it with Newhook and Barron this year as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I was expecting them to bring him over next season, but I wonder if they expedited that a bit because their deadline moves haven't reassured them.

Like you say though, this could have been the plan all along. They've done it before with NA prospects, and they've done it with Newhook and Barron this year as well.
Annunen’s ELC year was burned regardless so may as well get something out of it. They won’t even use Werner, there’s no way the Avs are using Annunen tho.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Annunen’s ELC year was burned regardless so may as well get something out of it. They won’t even use Werner, there’s no way the Avs are using Annunen tho.

I don't know, Dubnyk and JJ have looked quite poor. If something happens to Grubauer (knock on wood it doesn't happen) in the playoffs and one of them gets an opportunity and craps the bed, they could make a change. I don't think their leash is very long.

If Justus plays well for the Eagles, I could see the Avs trying him before Werner in that scenario, because as you allude to they don't seem to have much faith in Werner.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't know, Dubnyk and JJ have looked quite poor. If something happens to Grubauer (knock on wood it doesn't happen) in the playoffs and one of them gets an opportunity and craps the bed, they could make a change. I don't think their leash is very long.

If Justus plays well for the Eagles, I could see the Avs trying him before Werner in that scenario, because as you allude to they don't seem to have much faith in Werner.
I highly doubt they'd throw an unproven prospect goalie into the playoffs as a contender when they have Dubnyk and Johansson available.

Reactions: McMetal and klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad