Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Alex Newhook to ELC

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I like the look of Newhook with Jost and Nichuskin, but I don't like Donskoi as a 4th liner. I'd rather have someone with some more tenacity and jam to their game in that role, like Calvert or O'Connor. It's a nice luxury to have a guy as skilled as Donskoi on the 4th line though.
I agree, but the problem is neither of those two are gonna be playing anytime soon, and they don't have anyone else other than Soda, Sherwood, or O'Brien.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I agree, but the problem is neither of those two are gonna be playing anytime soon, and they don't have anyone else other than Soda, Sherwood, or O'Brien.
I guess you just use Donskoi in a 3rd/4th line role in rotation with Nichuskin, while managing their minutes depending on who is playing better along with what the score is.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he’s been about what I expected.

He’s not dominating, or anything, but he’s added some extra skill to the lineup. I like the toughness he’s playing with as well.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think he’s been about what I expected.

He’s not dominating, or anything, but he’s added some extra skill to the lineup. I like the toughness he’s playing with as well.

You can tell he's still a little hesitant and hasn't gotten comfortable with the speed of the game just yet. As you mentioned, he plays with toughness and is willing to get into the dirty areas. Also really like how he keeps his feet moving and doesn't just stand still like some of our skilled players tend to do.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
So how does this work, why is it burnt already? What's the "nine (?) game limit"?
I believe burning his 1st year was part of the negotiations to get him to sign this year. It takes a year off his 3-year deal, and gets him closer to Free Agency and a bigger $ deal. I believe they did the same with Ranta too (not sure about others).

The typically 9 games (it was only 6 this year because of the shorter schedule) is for a player who hasn't started his ELC yet. Once he plays in a 10th game, his ELC kicks in and he burns a year of his 3-year deal.

Reactions: Arto Kilponen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This is a helpful link explaining why & how ELC’s “slide”

As for Newhook, anyone else get Brayden Point vibes? I know that’s lofty. But I see it. Stocky, speedy, smart.

Point is maybe 180lbs soaking wet after a late offseason bender. He plays around 170-175 (he was in the 160s 2-3 years ago). He's not at all stocky. Point is a much better skater (he's top 5 in the NHL level) and his game is about being slippery. Newhook has some jam and power to his game that Point doesn't have.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not really concerned about Newhook's skating. I get that he doesn't have elite straight-line speed but he's already shown in short bursts he can get to loose pucks and achieve separation. He's also maneuverable enough to make plays in tight areas. I'd say the aspects of his game that need the most work surround his shooting. In terms of accuracy and release he has some work to do, but I'm not remotely worried. So far he looks very comfortable at the NHL level. Really excited to see his game evolve.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Point is maybe 180lbs soaking wet after a late offseason bender. He plays around 170-175 (he was in the 160s 2-3 years ago). He's not at all stocky. Point is a much better skater (he's top 5 in the NHL level) and his game is about being slippery. Newhook has some jam and power to his game that Point doesn't have.

Newhook is more similar to a Cirelli in my opinion, willing to get into the dirty areas with a commitment to two-way play. The defensive side seems to come very naturally to Cirelli, where as it seems more like a conscientious effort for Newhook. I do think Newhook has more natural offensive talent, and you can see that with the chances that he is getting.

I think the numbers are going to come for Newhook, right now he's trying too hard for that perfect shot. He gets himself open so many times, it's only a matter of time before those chances start resulting in goals.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Alex needs to re-calibrate his sights. His shot is a little off now but I'm not worried. He's looked pretty good and will get better.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Yeah maybe stocky was a bad word choice. Points no slouch physically though. I’m standing by my comparison!! Even if it is wishful thinking haha

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
What I like is his ability to accelerate the play in transition, he thinks very fast and that only makes me think that NHL game speed will not be a problem for him, I’m quite confident he’s our future 2C

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not really concerned about Newhook's skating. I get that he doesn't have elite straight-line speed but he's already shown in short bursts he can get to loose pucks and achieve separation. He's also maneuverable enough to make plays in tight areas. I'd say the aspects of his game that need the most work surround his shooting. In terms of accuracy and release he has some work to do, but I'm not remotely worried. So far he looks very comfortable at the NHL level. Really excited to see his game evolve.

I'm not worried at all about Newhook's skating on being a NHL player. He's way more than good enough in that area to be a NHL player. He's not an elite skater and I don't think he's going to be a high end guy either. Certainly in that good category. I worry a bit about him working at center and being a two way guy with it and his size, but that answer will come in due time. Plus MacK's transformation into being much better defensively has lowered the need for the 2C to absolutely be a 2 way guy. If the Avs could grab a 3C with some punch on each end, or Jost develops into that... he could work there even with some limitations. His offensive skill shows enough there to build around.

I know people hate this comparison... but Jordan Eberle is who he really reminds me of. A smaller guy who has a great shot, knows spacing and positioning in the offensive zone, has a hands/skating combo that can create space but skating isn't a massive plus, and a player who can handle some physicality despite being on the smaller side (Newhook will dish out more). I hope Newhook is a bit more consistent in his effort and more like the Eberle under Tortz than the Eberle in Edmonton.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not worried at all about Newhook's skating on being a NHL player. He's way more than good enough in that area to be a NHL player. He's not an elite skater and I don't think he's going to be a high end guy either. Certainly in that good category. I worry a bit about him working at center and being a two way guy with it and his size, but that answer will come in due time. Plus MacK's transformation into being much better defensively has lowered the need for the 2C to absolutely be a 2 way guy. If the Avs could grab a 3C with some punch on each end, or Jost develops into that... he could work there even with some limitations. His offensive skill shows enough there to build around.

I know people hate this comparison... but Jordan Eberle is who he really reminds me of. A smaller guy who has a great shot, knows spacing and positioning in the offensive zone, has a hands/skating combo that can create space but skating isn't a massive plus, and a player who can handle some physicality despite being on the smaller side (Newhook will dish out more). I hope Newhook is a bit more consistent in his effort and more like the Eberle under Tortz than the Eberle in Edmonton.

My only diss on Eberle is that he tends to be a perimeter guy, Newhook has a little more jam in his game IMO, but I see where you're coming from. If he ends up similar to that I'm not too worried, especially if they give him some good linemates, it could work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My only diss on Eberle is that he tends to be a perimeter guy, Newhook has a little more jam in his game IMO, but I see where you're coming from. If he ends up similar to that I'm not too worried, especially if they give him some good linemates, it could work.

Yeah that's why I said Newhook will dish out more. Both tend to be soft spot guys, but Newhook playing center and his natural tendency attack the middle more. Eberle was like that more in junior and he got pushed to the edges while in Edmonton. I think he has been much better in that area since he got paired up with Barzal who can be a bit all over the ice and Eberle has to play off that. Trotz also has raised his effort level a lot. If Eberle played how he does now, with his skills at 23... he would have been a 35-50 winger.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

From what I've seen of him from some of his NCAA games, the WJC and while on the Avs, I don't think effort will be an issue. He's always moving, and keeps his head on a swivel.

Reactions: henchman21

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I think he's looked ok. He hasn't really brought a whole lot that others don't already provide but if he isn't hurting them, which he isn't so far, I like the idea of him getting the experience to help prepare for next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
From what I've seen of him from some of his NCAA games, the WJC and while on the Avs, I don't think effort will be an issue. He's always moving, and keeps his head on a swivel.

Yeah I don't foresee it being an issue. That is more of a statement on how good Eberle could have been if he tried harder in his early 20s. Eberle now is actually a solid worker... not perfect, but he's not a lazy player.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
One thing I've liked about him and I didn't expect, is he was by default going to the toughest parts of the ice, including battling in front of the net. I don't think he's going to be a perimeter player unless the coaches tell him to be one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad