Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Alex Newhook to ELC

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Will be interesting to see where Saad slots in if and when we ever see a full lineup again now that Newhook has koined without looking out of place.

Guess Nichuskin drops to 4th line and Saad plays with Jost and Donskoi.

Reactions: Avsboy

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Will be interesting to see where Saad slots in if and when we ever see a full lineup again now that Newhook has koined without looking out of place.

Hoping it looks something like this come playoff time.

Big line
Saad - Newhook - Bura
Donskoi - Kadri - Jost
Nuke - Belle - LOC
Compher - Calvert - Soda

You could probably switch Kadri/Newhook if you want. I hate having to put Nuke on the 4th line because he has been so good but not sure who else you other than maybe Jost but he has also played really well. I would like to put Kadri there but that won't happen obviously.

This lineup will be crazy deep when healthy.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My thoughts from his first game copied from the GDT.

Newhook didn’t wow but he looked like belongs which is impressive given the system he needs to learn. He backed off on several loose pucks because Bednar wants the centre to play high in the o zone but he’ll quickly learn when he can pounce. He’s usually not that flat footed but I understand why. I get Bednar wanting him to play his natural position of centre and long term he should but I really do believe it would be smarter to transition him in on the wing with minimal responsibility away from the puck.

Ideally I think he plays wing with Nichushkin and Jost. He can focus on being solely the offensive guy on that line while slowly learning the strict structure of Bednar’s system with the most sheltering possible.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
His speed caught me a bit by surprise last night. I've been watching him at BC and for the Eagles, I knew he was fast I just figured it was amplified a bit playing against kids. Maybe playing against slow SJ played a factor but Newhook can really motor around.

You could tell he hasn't had much time to gel with Kadri and Burakovsky. Burakovsky specifically looked a bit lost trying to find Newhook. I hope Bednar lets Newhook play down the stretch here because I think that line could really get going if they're given enough time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Should definitely play over the career AHL guys. Most likely that means regular minutes in the playoffs because the Avs cannot stay healthy.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Saad should be like a wildcard and moved around the top 9 to lighten minutes for everyone. Its nice that he can play both sides.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Good debut. His combination of skating, puck-handling, and vision is a skill-set that’s lacking in the Avs bottom-9. Particularly at centre.

I’ve always felt that he’s a natural centre and saw nothing that makes me believe that they need to have him play the wing. He just knows where to go in all three zones when playing the middle of the ice.

The second line was the best line on the team last night.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kadri noticeably had some jump and I don't know if it's because of the kid or if it's because he scored last game
Both. Kadri probably doesn't want to lose his "spot" to a kid either. Imagine how you would play that first game when they play the kid who is there to replace you. Kadri has a big ego and that can hurt or help the team. Last night it helped in his play. Didn't help them win but Kadri and his line weren't the problem.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Good debut. His combination of skating, puck-handling, and vision is a skill-set that’s lacking in the Avs bottom-9. Particularly at centre.

I’ve always felt that he’s a natural centre and saw nothing that makes me believe that they need to have him play the wing. He just knows where to go in all three zones when playing the middle of the ice.

The second line was the best line on the team last night.
That stick lift and steal off Labanc was the highlight for me last night. Also, his speed does not look like an issue. I know that was talked about a lot around here but he looks faster than Jost when Jost first arrived.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That stick lift and steal off Labanc was the highlight for me last night. Also, his speed does not look like an issue. I know that was talked about a lot around here but he looks faster than Jost when Jost first arrived.

Way better skater than Jost. He was getting up and down the ice with ease and showed some good short area quickness as well when trying to get open, which didn't matter because Burakovsky had the tunnel vision going.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not surprising but even though Newhook lined up at center he leaned more toward left wing by my observation, whereas Kadri played more like a center. The two were kinda interchangeable, which I think was exactly what Bednar was going for. Perfect situation to break a guy in.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think he'll be on the team come playoff time, IMO.

Not that he looked bad per se, more so that I just think the guys we have here already, especially in the Top 9 are just better players right now.

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Saad - Kadri - Burkie
Nuke - Jost - Donskoi

I dont really see him being an upgrade on anyone in that Top 9 at the moment, and he's not set up for a 4th line role either.

I do like having him as option #1 if/when an injury hits that group though. And maybe if Jost struggles in the playoffs, perhaps you look at Newhook in that spot.

But otherwise I think he'll be on the bench when the playoffs do start.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Not that he looked bad per se, more so that I just think the guys we have here already, especially in the Top 9 are just better players right now.

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Saad - Kadri - Burkie
Nuke - Jost - Donskoi

I dont really see him being an upgrade on anyone in that Top 9 at the moment, and he's not set up for a 4th line role either.

I do like having him as option #1 if/when an injury hits that group though. And maybe if Jost struggles in the playoffs, perhaps you look at Newhook in that spot.

You might be right. If they'd started him ar LW, I'd be more inclined to agree however.

A lack of skilled playmaking on that 2nd line has been problematic. The fact that they were willing to play him at C suggests they're acknowledging as much.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
hqdefault.jpg

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Saad - Kadri - Burkie
Nuke - Jost - Donskoi

My guess is they will do the same thing they did with Makar. Get him some run in the playoffs and prep him for next season.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
20/91/95
18/17/13
72/41/37

Looks about right to me

Saad-Kadri-Bura
Newhook-Jost-Nuke
Dong-PEB-JTC
Soda

Toews-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-MacDonald
Nemeth

Shut Byram down unless he’s fully healthy. We can manage without him unless either the D group gets super banged up or MacNorris shits the bed.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
20/91/95
18/17/13
72/41/37
I like the look of Newhook with Jost and Nichuskin, but I don't like Donskoi as a 4th liner. I'd rather have someone with some more tenacity and jam to their game in that role, like Calvert or O'Connor. It's a nice luxury to have a guy as skilled as Donskoi on the 4th line though.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad