Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Alex Newhook to ELC

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
He is going to be good, you can see it already. He will eventually start burying shots and his IQ is higher than anyone (projection wise) in our bottom 9. Come at me.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not worried at all about Newhook's skating on being a NHL player. He's way more than good enough in that area to be a NHL player. He's not an elite skater and I don't think he's going to be a high end guy either. Certainly in that good category. I worry a bit about him working at center and being a two way guy with it and his size, but that answer will come in due time. Plus MacK's transformation into being much better defensively has lowered the need for the 2C to absolutely be a 2 way guy. If the Avs could grab a 3C with some punch on each end, or Jost develops into that... he could work there even with some limitations. His offensive skill shows enough there to build around.

I know people hate this comparison... but Jordan Eberle is who he really reminds me of. A smaller guy who has a great shot, knows spacing and positioning in the offensive zone, has a hands/skating combo that can create space but skating isn't a massive plus, and a player who can handle some physicality despite being on the smaller side (Newhook will dish out more). I hope Newhook is a bit more consistent in his effort and more like the Eberle under Tortz than the Eberle in Edmonton.

These were the same reasons given for why Jost couldn't play center in the NHL (not just top 6) and that he wouldn't improve his skating because it wasn't a technical issue with his stride.

Not only did Jost improve his skating and show he can play well at center, but Newhook is a much better skater than Jost to begin with. Give him time and he'll probably improve it even more.

Personally I think he'll be just fine and possibly excel at center in the NHL. With his high motor and intelligent passing, I think he would form a great tandem with Burakovsky too.

Reactions: flyfysher and MarkT

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Does a match penalty always mean that the player misses the next game as well?

Rule 21 - Match Penalties
21.1 Match Penalty: Match penalties are assessed against players deemed to have "deliberately" injured or attempted to injure an opponent. When a player is assessed a match penalty, he is ejected from the game and officially given 10 PIM. Not only is he ejected from the current game, but he is also suspended indefinitely "until the Commissioner has ruled on the issue."

NHL Rulebook: Matches and Misconducts

Reactions: Richard88

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I'm not worried at all about Newhook's skating on being a NHL player. He's way more than good enough in that area to be a NHL player. He's not an elite skater and I don't think he's going to be a high end guy either. Certainly in that good category. I worry a bit about him working at center and being a two way guy with it and his size, but that answer will come in due time. Plus MacK's transformation into being much better defensively has lowered the need for the 2C to absolutely be a 2 way guy. If the Avs could grab a 3C with some punch on each end, or Jost develops into that... he could work there even with some limitations. His offensive skill shows enough there to build around.

I know people hate this comparison... but Jordan Eberle is who he really reminds me of. A smaller guy who has a great shot, knows spacing and positioning in the offensive zone, has a hands/skating combo that can create space but skating isn't a massive plus, and a player who can handle some physicality despite being on the smaller side (Newhook will dish out more). I hope Newhook is a bit more consistent in his effort and more like the Eberle under Tortz than the Eberle in Edmonton.
Your last line says it all. If Newhook is Eberle I will be pissed. Eberle work ethic is pathetic he should be a much better player IMO.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Your last line says it all. If Newhook is Eberle I will be pissed. Eberle work ethic is pathetic he should be a much better player IMO.

Henchy did put it into context though--Newhook's work ethic is fine, and unlike Eberle he won't be a perimeter player. The question is not work ethic or a willingness to get to the dirty areas of the ice, but what his NHL upside is.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
upload_2021-5-21_13-32-58.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Henchy did put it into context though--Newhook's work ethic is fine, and unlike Eberle he won't be a perimeter player. The question is not work ethic or a willingness to get to the dirty areas of the ice, but what his NHL upside is.

Yeah this... and also, Eberle still has a bit of a bad wrap based on his time in Edmonton. He's a pretty solid to even good worker now. He still has some moments that are head scratching, but overall he's good in that area now.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Newhook can become a harder working version of Eberle then that's a great return on the pick. Eberle has averaged 25 goals and 58 points per 82 games over his 11 year career. He, just like Hall, has gotten this label on him that people refuse to let go of. He has even played better and harder in the playoffs then he did in that last disastrous playoffs with the Oilers.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
If Jost can turn his skating around the way he has over the last 2 1/2 years, then I have confidence in Newhook getting a big boost from the system and the skating staff.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
No where near as a good a skater.

i thought he was supposed to be speedy and generally, skating being his strength.

not saying he is directly comparable to Point at this...point :), after all he is a rookie. Just that i thought talent-wise, at least concerning skating, he can be up there with the best. He was compared to Barzal stylistically, is not Barzal another great skater?

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
i thought he was supposed to be speedy and generally, skating being his strength.

not saying he is directly comparable to Point at this...point :), after all he is a rookie. Just that i thought talent-wise, at least concerning skating, he can be up there with the best. He was compared to Barzal stylistically, is not Barzal another great skater?
Comparison are great before a guy gets to the NHL.

Now that he’s here, we have not witness even once a burst of speed even comparable to those two.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Comparison are great before a guy gets to the NHL.

Now that he’s here, we have not witness even once a burst of speed even comparable to those two.

and how many games did he play so far? Less than 10? Bit too soon to do some definitive judgements about his abilities on NHL level, is it not?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
and how many games did he play so far? Less than 10? Bit too soon to do some definitive judgements about his abilities on NHL level, is it not?
He doesn’t have breakaway speed that’s pretty clear. With guys like Mack and Duchene we saw their speed on there first shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad