Confirmed with Link: Avs Recall Stefan Elliott

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Is anyone else with me in thinking that Barrie should not be a part of a trade but Elliott could?

They way Barrie has played the last 3 games, hes been our best D man, of course thats with EJ out but still.

Personally I would love to get something without trading either and see what they both can become. We are starting to see Barrie's confidence and skill come out, I would love to see Elliott get to that point too.

Package in some of our depth D instead of them. Unless of course the return is AMAZING by adding one of them in.

I actually dont wanna trade either guy.Barrie or Elliott

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We wouldn't be trading "crap" if we left Elliott and Barrie out of an offer. We're already putting O'Reilly in there. We most certainly should be able to get good player(s) for him.

Yes. Definitely. I didn't mean that. Just was trying to explain that in general, if you want someone good in a trade, you will have to add someone good there way.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
If theyre going to trade one of them, it better not be Barrie. Im not to confident that Elliot will ever develop his defensive game but Barrie has looked awesome so far.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wondering if Barrie is as solid as he seems to be lately, they will try Elliot alongside Hejda next. Hejda seems to be defensively sound enough to allow the younger guy to just play his game, while being there to cover some of the mistakes defensively. Hejda seems to be a steady and experienced guy who can somewhat mentor and complement these young D.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd rather keep Barrie with Hejda and let them keep growing. When EJ comes back try Barrie and him together on the PP, if they show great chemistry there you think about giving them a run together while Elliott plays with Hejda, but until that point, leave the only pairing we have that works together.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd rather keep Barrie with Hejda and let them keep growing. When EJ comes back try Barrie and him together on the PP, if they show great chemistry there you think about giving them a run together while Elliott plays with Hejda, but until that point, leave the only pairing we have that works together.

I agree if EJ is soon to return, but I worry that playing with Zanon or RoB will do more damage than good to the poor kid. :)
Actually liked how SoB played with the young guys last year, so Elliott-SOB, Barrie-Heda would work for me I think til EJ gets back.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'd personally like to hold onto Elliot and Barrie. Elliot has talent and while he's not on the same level as Duchene is it hard to believe that he could have a bounce back year as well? I don't think having Elliot, Barrie and Seimens in the line-up is a bad thing. They played well together in Saskatoon so its quite possible that they could do the same here in a couple years or so. Rather send Hunwick, O'Byrne, O'Brien and Zanon then Elliot or Barrie.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Once Wilson & EJ come back, I say we go throw them into the fire and have a D corps of:

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Zanon - Elliot
O'Brien

Trade O'Byrne & Hunwick for picks.. I mean it can't be worse than what we've been seeing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree if EJ is soon to return, but I worry that playing with Zanon or RoB will do more damage than good to the poor kid. :)
Actually liked how SoB played with the young guys last year, so Elliott-SOB, Barrie-Heda would work for me I think til EJ gets back.

I think Zanon-Elliott or SOB-Elliott would be a fine place to start. Maybe run him out with Wilson when he comes back if it's not working, but I'd start trying Elliott with those two.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I wouldn't trade either one yet until they are a little more proven and we know what we are getting from then. The last thing we need is to trade the better player and have the other one crap the bed for us.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I wouldn't trade either one yet until they are a little more proven and we know what we are getting from then. The last thing we need is to trade the better player and have the other one crap the bed for us.

if you mean trading Barrie or Elliot why would we do that at all? D is our worst area and those two are our best prospects that are close to NHL ready.

we need to develop them, not trade them.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
if you mean trading Barrie or Elliot why would we do that at all? D is our worst area and those two are our best prospects that are close to NHL ready.

we need to develop them, not trade them.

We could though package one in for a young (22-27) NHL proven top-4 D.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Apart from Mark Giordano or Joni Pitkanen, there's no one that fits that criteria on a team that might be in a position to sell said player that I want. And IMO a top prospect for either would be too high a price to pay, especially if we were trying to put a package together for one.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Avs fans have always assumed Elliott and Barrie were the same since they were PMDs picked in 2009. But I think we have to accept they have different development curves. I think we'll have to be patient with Elliott. Perhaps he has to be sheltered to a greater degree.

I'd rather Avs hang on to him, even if he's not ready for another two years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Avs fans have always assumed Elliott and Barrie were the same since they were PMDs picked in 2009. But I think we have to accept they have different development curves. I think we'll have to be patient with Elliott. Perhaps he has to be sheltered to a greater degree.

Yep. Coming out of the WHL Barrie was more polished and ready for the NHL and it still took him over a year to be ready. Elliott has definite talent, but needs more time.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

they don't have enough value to other teams to warrant a legit top 4 D man. and if we're making a trade for a d man it needs to be for a second #1 pairing guy and those almost never become available.

i think there is a legit chance that both become top 4 guys and that is more valuable than dealing one away.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Everyone knew on here that Barrie was the more polished defender defensively. He had the hockey IQ to know where to be and what play to make. But no one was fooled that his strength was going to hold him back. If we're lucky he can take that hockey IQ and demonstrate his offensive talents in the NHL to the degree that allows him to be a Dan Boyle-lite.

But I still maintain Elliott has the higher potential and is the more effective offensive talent. Once he gets his legs under him and some confidence I think he will put up some serious numbers. His wrist shot is quite probably the best this team has had since Sakic. What we've never been disillusioned with is that he defensively is very raw and not confident enough physically to assert himself with his size.

Two very similar yet very different prospects, each with a lot of potential (underrated around the league) and a good future in the NHL. We just need to be patient as fans and hope they pan out, I'd argue a new coach is required to let that happen. I'm also very hopeful Siemens can bring the ying to their yang and solidify the defensive responsibilities of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad